VStrom 650
Close

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree287Likes

Thread: VStrom 650

VStrom 650

As it is pissing rain today, I tackled putting the 50/50 Heidenau K60 Scout tires on the bike. Way easier setting the bead on these ~ 20 lbs. the front tire tread is reversed to the rear tire tread. I was able to take the weight off the front rim and the wheel was perfectly balanced. On the rear wheel there were 3 weights and when I removed one it was balanced. Now just need the rain to stop to go try them out.

I did one trip on a FSR and did not like the feel of the stock tires.

So far I have added a Scorpion Skid plate and it has its first scratch when I tried to go over a curb with Linda and I on the bike - we got high centered.

I added an all weather 12 volt outlet and a ram mount for my GPS.

image.jpeg
    Front tires (and yes TWlight the front is mounted the right way, I triple check as it just seems wrong)
    image.jpeg
    Rear tires
    image.jpeg
    GPS
    Last edited by ejfranz; 05-28-2016 at 05:57 PM.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Been thru a couple of sets of Heidies. And they are right, TWi. Believe it or not. Maybe that's why they last so long. 13000+ miles was my longest. But then I found my present keepers (2014 DL1000) Mitras. They look about the same, last about as long and cost a good $100 cheaper per tire.

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    Funny that you added that line, because as I was reading your post...and looked at the tread on that front tire....I knew it was wrong.

Heidenau may make a tire that is designed to be mounted that way, but...........they are wrong.........plain and simple.

There is no way that "I" would mount a front tire on any of my bikes with the tread designed to be backwards, and Heidenau does not have the riding experience that I do...with all their design engineers and techs...combined.

Eck, I hope it works GREAT for you. Just be mindful, you live up in the WET part of the continent, and that tire will channel water IN...towards the center of the tire, rather than OUT...towards the outer edges of the tire, like all other front tires are designed to do.

Ride safely, you Misfit.
    ~ ~ ~ ~
    I was under the impression that the tread is mounted reverse of the rear so braking on dirt/Gravel is enhanced,
    Designed to dig like a tractor tire and not scoop,
    Guess they weren't thinking or ponding at 60 Mph.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by pred View Post
    ~ ~ ~ ~
    I was under the impression that the tread is mounted reverse of the rear so braking on dirt/Gravel is enhanced,
    Both my highway bikes are mounted in this fashion. It does look odd, but the front is for stopping not pulling.

Quote Originally Posted by pred View Post
    ~ ~ ~ ~
    I would suggest it's a matter of the different forces on different wheels.

The REAR TIRE...DRIVES the machine and rider. The tire twists upon the road surface. It wants to spin; and the angle of the tread is to reflect that.

Only about 20 percent of braking forces are on the rear tire.

The FRONT TIRE...IS DRIVEN by the pavement. The forward motion of the bike is transmitted to rotation on the front tire...THROUGH the PAVEMENT. The pavement drives the tire. Resistance, asphalt to rubber, is the opposite.

And even more so in braking, when EIGHTY percent of the stopping action is transmitted in rotational resistance to the pavement.

The K60 is the tire of choice for my V-Strom. I got over 20000km on my last rear tire. Great tire for the type of riding I enjoy.
    ejfranz and jtomelliott49 like this.
    09 DL650 V-Strom "Function over Form at a Superior Price"
    09 DR650 "Hooliganizer"
    03 TW200 "No Road---No Problem"
    81 Z50 "Just Because"
    98 Honda Valkyrie "Fast as [email protected]&K"
    02 Tw200 " Camouflaged Redneck Edition" Sold to Son-in-Law
    73CT Trail90 "The most fun you can have under 100cc's" Sold. Had an offer I couldn't refuse.

I put 120 Km on the bike this morning. I did get rained on. Tires felt good, the front does vibrate below 30 kmph.
    Will try the tires on gravel latter this week as there are to many idiots on the FSRs near me on a Sunday.
    Just under 600 Km before the bike is fully broken in.

Next mods will be Pivot pegs and handle bar risers.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Dubster, do you air down when you do long stretches of gravel road?
    I took the VStrom on a FSR tonight that was freshly graded with pee gravel and found the front end very squirrelly.
    When I got to the ungraded section it felt better.
    With the WR, I would air down, but Even then on pee gravel it was sketchy.
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.

Yes I do air down for long stretches, loosen my grip on the bars, and stand on the pegs in the really loose stuff. I carry a small 12v compressor under the seat.
    I also have a Scotts steering stabilizer and fork brace that help both on and off road.
    Sure wish I had those spoked rims on my bike.
    The Strom is a great ride eh'?
    09 DL650 V-Strom "Function over Form at a Superior Price"
    09 DR650 "Hooliganizer"
    03 TW200 "No Road---No Problem"
    81 Z50 "Just Because"
    98 Honda Valkyrie "Fast as [email protected]&K"
    02 Tw200 " Camouflaged Redneck Edition" Sold to Son-in-Law
    73CT Trail90 "The most fun you can have under 100cc's" Sold. Had an offer I couldn't refuse.

Enjoying it so far.
    I need to get risers as it feels the same as the TW did before I got the risers.
    I find it stable sitting down, but with the windscreen I find the terrain distorted when traveling slow and looking just a few feet ahead. Standing and looking over the screen is preferable.
    I also am thinking the front fender needs some modes as it does not keep the mud from being thrown into the Skidplate; maybe add a piece flap and gravel sounds like it is being ground through the inside, maybe it can be raised slightly.
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links