• 1 Post By Eatmore Mudd
  • 1 Post By JustPassinThru
  • 1 Post By JustPassinThru
  • 1 Post By elime

Thread: This startup could become the Tesla of electric motorcycles

This startup could become the Tesla of electric motorcycles

macbig2k1 likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

The Tesla of electric bikes?

What?...meaning endless government subsidies to carry an unsustainable economic model?

I'm not opposed to electric bikes. I have a Zero. Great ride, if limited on distance. Yes, I know the newer ones are addressing that.

But...these things have to make economic sense. Supply has to meet demand at a price that works for both sides - and government subsidies are POLITICAL influences in ECONOMIC choices. The distort the markets; and they can be redacted. They also lead to sloppiness in business...like with Fisker.

pretty expensive grocery getter! what do you do with it when you hit the 50 mile mark? kick it into the ditch? 50 miles is nothing when riding.
    Eatmore Mudd and TWilight like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by grewen View Post
    pretty expensive grocery getter! what do you do with it when you hit the 50 mile mark? kick it into the ditch? 50 miles is a warm up before the ride
    Fixed for ya

It needs to go 200 miles between 30 second fill ups before anyone I know will consider taking one seriously for anything other than in town runs to the grocery store.
    Last edited by Eatmore Mudd; 05-30-2016 at 12:09 PM.
    grewen likes this.
    '87, '90, 90 & '91 XT350's. It's a family thing, wife says its an enabling thing. Saving up for a TW of my own.
    Looking for anything Yamaha XT or related. especially a brake caliper and master cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by grewen View Post
    pretty expensive grocery getter! what do you do with it when you hit the 50 mile mark? kick it into the ditch? 50 miles is nothing when riding.
    My four-year-old Zero does that, and then some...and that's really working the throttle. Babying it, it can get a hundred miles.

The new Zeros are addressing that, with close to double the range - and removable battery packs, take it out, put it on the charger, put another one in.

It will probably be a generation before we see a workable quick-charge battery; and by that time we'll probably have bigger things to worry about.

As Edison told young Henry Ford...Ford at the time was the Chief Engineer at Detroit Edison...the two met for business; but the conversation strayed to Henry's evening experiments with his horseless carriage.

And Edison, the pioneer of modern electrical use and generation, told young Henry that Henry was on the correct path in choosing a petrol-powered engine instead of a Baker-type battery powerpack. "That is just the thing" Edison told Ford.

And he kept to that opinion. Later, as both men were older and successful...they became friends; and did some motor camping in the Edsel-Ford-designed Model A. Edison never changed his mind. Electricity was fine for lighting and appliances, but a self-propelled vehicle was best done using an internal-combustion engine.
    TWilight likes this.

I might add that the Zero company is not exactly setting sales records.

They picked exactly the wrong time to appear - gas is cheaper, in constant dollars, than it has been at any time since the early 1990s; almost as cheap as it's ever been. In inflation-adjusted constant dollars.

There are no shortages of gasoline. There ARE coming shortages of electric power, as the political idiots shut down coal generation plants. This is a question consumers are not asking.

I like the Zero. But I can only buy one; and I have that one. The market, IMHO, is beyond saturation.

And electric vehicles ARE NOT "Zero Emissions." Power is generated with coal or oil or natural gas...or with the damming of streams. And transmitted using infrastructure that had to be built, making emissions.
    TWilight likes this.

At $15K per bike I don't think it is worth it. The only thing I see going for it, like all the Teslas I see around here, is the "snob factor". Or maybe the "Holier than thou" factor.

"Not only am I richer than you but I am more environmentally conscious".

Maybe sometime in the future the price will come down and the performance will get better but until then I am sticking with gasoline and my TW. For $5K you get a brand new TW and have $10K leftover to buy gas. $5/gallon = 2,000 gallons. 60mpg X 2,000 = 120,000 miles of riding. And it looks like gas won't be hitting $5 a gallon for a long while (unless the holier than thou crowd gets their way).

My 2 cents worth.

P.S. I did a You Tube search for Alta Motorcycles and some stuff comes up. Here is a guy in SJ that tested them.

Last edited by elime; 05-30-2016 at 07:16 PM.
    littletommy likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Sponosred Links