Local Bike Auction
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Local Bike Auction

Local Bike Auction

Heavy Equipment & Commercial Truck - Portland, OR

FYI they have about 14 x-Cop Bikes BMW1200R I'm on the fence not knowing alot about BMW other than just better have some $$$$$ for parts and repairs.
    littletommy, sponge and akalogan like this.

Thanks and good info TWilight. Kind of the same thing I was thinking about the well maintained issue. But if I take on another bike I may have to get rid of another and I just dont think I have one I wish to part with. But this could be a good score for someone. I still may jump on it. Best of luck on the bids.
    Last edited by upnovr; 06-15-2016 at 04:56 PM.
    littletommy and TWilight like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    upnovr, the bikes in that auction are all BMW R1200RT-P bikes, with the P being the Police Model.

They are great bikes for Police duty.....in my opinion...the best bikes ever used in Police duties. The braking is fantastic, the suspension is fantastic, the low-weight is fantastic.

Sure, they have some issues, as any motorcycle or vehicle does. But for Police duty, these are the best that any department can use...for ON road riding.

14 of them....WOW. There will be some that go for slightly higher dollars, but that also means there will be some that go for lower dollars.

Do not let the mileage on any of these dissuade you. The highest mileage one was in the low 90k range, and most were in the 60k range. That engine is good for 200k + miles...all dependent on how it has been maintained in the earlier years.

And most LEO vehicles are very well maintained, so that should not be an issue.

At least..if nothing else...you can be assured that all the NEW bike issues have been worked out on these bikes, and they should be good running bikes.

If you want, and have time, I am happy to meet you at the auction yard, look them over, and pick 2 or 3 to keep your eyes on at auction time.

EDIT: As of right now, I have winning bids in on 5 of those 14 bikes. But, as we all know, bids change, and I expect to be outbid on most of them. Time will tell.
    I'm on the fence on this one. I can't really afford another machine...but under a thousand for a BMW Boxer? How can you go wrong? Ride it a season and then at LEAST sell it for what you paid for it.

I'm thinking. I got some high-limit credit cards; but that's just a danger itself that always has my guard up.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

TWilight:

PM sent.

Wow, that is awesome. I agree with TWilight, (not that I can remember disagreeing) these are fantastic bikes, but I am currently over my bike limit just now.
    I would jump at any one, that hasn't been badly wrecked, up to $4000. Retail is likely around 5k.

The question is do I torture myself by watching for the next 10 days.
    TWilight likes this.
    Chris Vogel
    Current Rides
    2014 Zuma 50, 2004 TW200, 1992 R100GS, 1987 TW200
    Current Projects
    1982 550 Vision, 1986 XL600R

My only real interest in these bikes, is to buy as low as possible, and then resell them...or even one of them, on CL, and make a couple grand.

I can tell you from the viewpoint of a serious long distance/endurance rider, these bikes are really cool...because...they have a larger alternator on them, have all the switches left on them for all the Police lights and siren, etc, and all the brackets for the Police lights, etc. So, if a person wanted to fix up a serious 24 hour rally bike, or even an IronButt Rally bike, these are a great platform for that kind of bike.
    I could see it both ways. Making money is always a great idea; but this could get me into the kind of bike I could never afford. Even my R1200GS, which was also an 09, wasn't tricked out that way.

Buy it; live with it a few weeks or months, and then cull the herd. Whether the Wee is the one to go...and I'll be back to a big road-bike and another TW or similar...or else, just sell the BMW.

Out here, BMWs are very saleable. This is a community of yuppie eggheads from the State University and of yuppie paper-pushers from the Department of the Interior installation. BMWs are as common as BERNIE 2016 signs.

Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by upnovr View Post
    Heavy Equipment & Commercial Truck - Portland, OR

FYI they have about 14 x-Cop Bikes BMW1200R I'm on the fence not knowing alot about BMW other than just better have some $$$$$ for parts and repairs.
    I had a bought new 99 RT that I put 50 k trouble free miles on. Awesome bike in the cold and rain! The RTP's have narrower panniers than non police bikes and a different pizza box. You would probably never get a ticket riding one of them
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!

2005 BMWR12GS Rock Red 106k miles
    2013 TW200 - 8k- miles
    2018 X-MAX - 6k- miles

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    Absolutely fantastic bikes.
    I have an R1100r that is a pleasure to ride.
    The P bikes are a great deal.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

upnovr, the bikes in that auction are all BMW R1200RT-P bikes, with the P being the Police Model.

They are great bikes for Police duty.....in my opinion...the best bikes ever used in Police duties. The braking is fantastic, the suspension is fantastic, the low-weight is fantastic.

Sure, they have some issues, as any motorcycle or vehicle does. But for Police duty, these are the best that any department can use...for ON road riding.

14 of them....WOW. There will be some that go for slightly higher dollars, but that also means there will be some that go for lower dollars.

Do not let the mileage on any of these dissuade you. The highest mileage one was in the low 90k range, and most were in the 60k range. That engine is good for 200k + miles...all dependent on how it has been maintained in the earlier years.

And most LEO vehicles are very well maintained, so that should not be an issue.

At least..if nothing else...you can be assured that all the NEW bike issues have been worked out on these bikes, and they should be good running bikes.

If you want, and have time, I am happy to meet you at the auction yard, look them over, and pick 2 or 3 to keep your eyes on at auction time.

EDIT: As of right now, I have winning bids in on 5 of those 14 bikes. But, as we all know, bids change, and I expect to be outbid on most of them. Time will tell.
    Following this auction...I'm not an auction guy; this is kinda new to me.

But there were no bargains. About half those bikes have closed on bidding; and the winning bids range from $3000 to $3200.

The other half, still taking bids, are between $2500 and $3000. Too high, for the risk taken in buying a bike I haven't started or ridden.
    TWilight likes this.

So did anyone here score on the LEO Beemers. Still kicking myself I didnt grab one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links