Trailer Blues - When the trusty old frame is rusty old junk
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Trailer Blues - When the trusty old frame is rusty old junk

Trailer Blues - When the trusty old frame is rusty old junk

Okay. When I got back into riding, eight years ago, I had to get a way to carry my toys around. TSC had a utility trailer, a Carry-All brand 4X8 with a loading ramp, on clearance for $399. I bought.

It's served me very well; but it's getting up there. But wait, there's more! Recall last winter I was going to head to Arizona with my TW...for what looked like my short-term layoff. Take a vacation, what the hey.

I didn't make the trip and I sold the TW; but I got other toys. Meantime, in prep for that trip, I had the trailer bearings replaced. They were a mess.

I had that trailer out in four miles of slushy roads. No big deal, right? Sure.

I stood the trailer up and put it away. Now, with cleaning, I got it down...I couldn't BELIEVE the rust. It seems the paint job wasn't baked on - and EVERYWHERE the thing was exposed to slush, it corroded. Example being the fenders and axle tube - the forward parts are just a sheen of junkyard rust; the trailing sides not so much.

It's no great loss. I have towed that thing over 30,000 miles. But I still need a trailer.

Of course Harbor Freight has cheapo folding trailers - one for $217, on clearance. Self assemble - and I don't have a shop. AND a web search suggests problems with the bearings

Maybe there is a better way.

The steel mesh decking on mine is all rusty; the frame is sprung from overloading; the whole thing is ungodly heavy to stand on its end. But the tires are good and the bearings are new.

Is it practical to assemble a new frame on the axle tube? I'm thinking either aluminum or folding, or both; with a track for motorcycle hauling. Narrow the body maybe - move the springs inboard.

I lost the title on this one anyway, so retitling it will have to happen anyway - unless I throw it out.

Conversely, I could buy the HF folding trailer and just use my present axle tube - and get aluminum mesh grating to use on it.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    Thoughts ? Yes !

Ironically I am looking at trading in my one year old Iron Eagle trailer, and getting an Aluminum one, of the same size....6' x 10', with a cargo box on the front, and a really strong loading ramp/tailgate.

Mine cost me over $ 1700.00 one year ago. It is a great trailer, powder-coated frame everywhere. Square tube iron used...not channel or L shaped iron.

I can send you pics if you want.

My new trailer is going to cost me $ 2000.00 more..after trade in value. Whew !

If you have ANY interest in my current trailer, I will sell it for $ 1000.00 even, picked up here, or....$ 1400.00, delivered to your house in Missoula.
    Honestly, Mike...I cannot.

A thousand bucks is a little hard on the budget right now. MoreOVER...I joined the ranks of pick-em-up truck owners a few years ago - of course, me being me, I did it differently. Got a 2wd first-gen Tacoma, cheaper than dirt. And it's been exactly what I need; and I've lugged bikes around with it.

Problem is, loading and unloading is anything but convenient. But what I'm saying is, I don't need a trailer - MUCH. I do need it when I do need it. Roadside fails; or when I'm carrying other stuff

The trailer this winter was because I'd planned to be camping in the back of the truck.

But, I'm babbling. Frankly, that pile of rusty junk is just about what I need now - with two exceptions. First, space is at a premium. So aluminum or a folding trailer is a REAL nice concept. Aluminum, so I can just stand it up without a hand winch or recruiting strangers to help me heave-ho. Folding to just fold it up.

Second concern, of course, is what happens to rusty junk over time. FAILURE. Nobody needs that on the road with an expensive bike in the middle of the debris.

If I can't cost-effectively do it, I may just toss out this trailer and fill the OCCASIONAL needs outta Y'all-Haul.

Sounds like the U-Haul would be the best route for you to go, no maintenace, no storage, and no licensing fees for the year when you only use it for a few days of the year. I have had a few flat deck trailers over the years and was sad to sell my last custom built car hauler, but after a few years of not having it I am glad its gone. It was needed when we had the race cars and was great for firewood, but that constant cost of insurance, maintenance, and the phone calls from people wanting to "borrow" it was driving me crazy. If you really need a trailer just go rent one, U haul will come to you if you it breaks down and you have already paid for a rental so they cover the cost to fix it. When your done with it you simply return it and no storage problems.... win - win. If you reframe your trailer and replace the axle the cost would have already covered a few rental fees. Not sure if this helps, but I really dont miss owning a trailer ( or the race cars for that matter! ).
    Last edited by wrench-puller; 06-22-2016 at 02:44 PM.
    2009 TW200, Jimbo shield, 47&55T rear with DID chain, Maxxis Ceros Rear, Kendra 270 front, extended swing arm, 1"Risers, Rear rack, Raised front fender, XOG GPS.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wrench-puller View Post
    Sounds like the U-Haul would be the best route for you to go, no maintenace, no storage, and no licensing fees for the year when you only use it for a few days of the year. I have had a few flat deck trailers over the years and was sad to sell my last custom built car hauler, but after a few years of not having it I am glad its gone. It was needed when we had the race cars and was great for firewood, but that constant cost of insurance, maintenance, and the phone calls from people wanting to "borrow" it was driving me crazy. If you really need a trailer just go rent one, U haul will come to you if you it breaks down and you have already paid for a rental so they cover the cost to fix it. When your done with it you simply return it and no storage problems.... win - win. If you reframe your trailer and replace the axle the cost would have already covered a few rental fees. Not sure if this helps, but I really dont miss owning a trailer ( or the race cars for that matter! ).
    That's how it's gonna go. I'm not saving money by letting that thing rust and the tires rot.

Ad on Craigslist now.

One thing.

Just like Montana puts PERMANENT plates on bikes, it also does it for small trailers.

And even older cages. My Tacoma has PERMANENT plates on there - the trailer does, too, only it's plated in Michigan. Michigan did use the "permanent" plate concept on light utility trailers.

There was no insurance or registration costs, but when a thing is rapidly decomposing...right now it needs paint, quick; and a tire; and I've lost the title and a Bonded Title will cost me something and take five years. Let someone else deal with it - I'm done; I'm condensing things.
    littletommy likes this.

Wow, licensing fees here in B.C. kill you. We have a small 12' tin boat on a trailer that has to be licensed every year, a 18' RV trailer, and my TW for a grand total of $700 dollars per year. Then you add in the truck and the wifes go-cart of a car and now we are into licensing and insurance for just under $4,000.00 a year to have joy of riding safetly down the road. And if you have an accident..... hang on cause you just lost your safe drivers discount and it willl cost you another 40% on top of that! My flat deck trailer was commercial plated and that was $220.00 a year for just the trailer. I think we towed the boat to the lake twice last year and with the fishing licenses and fuel that made our trout cost about $150 / lbs. Lol
    littletommy and Kasky like this.
    2009 TW200, Jimbo shield, 47&55T rear with DID chain, Maxxis Ceros Rear, Kendra 270 front, extended swing arm, 1"Risers, Rear rack, Raised front fender, XOG GPS.

Wow, licensing fees here in B.C. kill you. We have a small 12' tin boat on a trailer that has to be licensed every year, a 18' RV trailer, and my TW for a grand total of $700 dollars per year. Then you add in the truck and the wifes go-cart of a car and now we are into licensing and insurance for just under $4,000.00 a year to have joy of riding safetly down the road. And if you have an accident..... hang on cause you just lost your safe drivers discount and it willl cost you another 40% on top of that! My flat deck trailer was commercial plated and that was $220.00 a year for just the trailer. I think we towed the boat to the lake twice last year and with the fishing licenses and fuel that made our trout cost about $150 / lbs. Lol
    Amazing, the differences in fees. This really is a good place, in more ways than one. Scenic; and low fees for autos/bikes/trailers. No sales tax, either.

I put the ad up for the trailer about the time of my last post. It sold in 45 minutes. Guess I should have asked for more...seeing as it had no title and it's generally an arduous process getting a replacement, I asked $100.

A guy who works for a local used-car lot gave it to me, immediately, cash. He figures he can use his title clerk to get around the Bonded Title hassle.

Trailer Hitches & Vehicle Accessories (800)298-8924

Check out this place see if it can help.
    littletommy likes this.

BUT, you guys do get free health care, dont you?

Quote Originally Posted by Kasky View Post
    BUT, you guys do get free health care, dont you?
    Thats funny I was just going to type that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links