Close

Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By sponge
  • 1 Post By elime
  • 1 Post By 87bags
  • 3 Post By TW-Brian

Thread: Getting a Utah Title for the XL600R

Getting a Utah Title for the XL600R

Getting a title for an untitled bike is a topic that comes up every now and again, so I thought that I would relate my story here.

I got this 1986 XL600R from a friend that had it sitting in his barn in Arizona for quite a few years. This bike was given to him as a parts bike since it has a broken cam and damaged head.
    IMG_0524.jpgIMG_0517.jpg

The person who gave him the bike was from Nevada. He was not the original owner and had cut a section of the Oil holding frame. Presumably to get the engine out easier.
    So I begin a tear down with the assumption that if I can't get a title I will part it out.
    I started with the Nevada DMV. They told me that it wasn't a Nevada title, but would not give me any more info, and all but accused me of stealing the thing.
    Next stop was a DMV just about 9 miles up the road in Beaver Dam Arizona. They were much nicer, told me that it wasn't a Arizona title, but that they did a search and found it was a Utah title.

A little internet research, and I found that Utah has a form and system in place to claim title of salvage or abandoned vehicles if they are worth less than $1000.
    So this last week I was up in Utah at a scout camp. Well I had some time and took a drive to the DMV just outside Hurricane Ut. Walked in, zero wait (amazing), Told my story and handed him my filled out form. He asked if I had pictures, I did.
    IMG_0532.jpg
    0616161501.jpg
    0616161502.jpg

He took the paperwork and pictures back to his superior, they did a vin search and such, came back out and said, "sign here, that will be $6, and you should get the title in 3 weeks" I was in, done, and out in under 15 minutes.
    Say what you like about Utah, but it is my new favorite state.
    Last edited by sponge; 06-29-2016 at 09:25 AM.
    Eatmore Mudd, elime and TWilight like this.
    Chris Vogel
    Current Rides
    2014 Zuma 50, 2004 TW200, 1992 R100GS, 1987 TW200
    Current Projects
    1982 550 Vision, 1986 XL600R

Is that a broken camshaft? How does that happen?
    sponge likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

That's the way it should work! Simple and easy.

I have found and ran into similar issues here living in a Tri-State area of KY, OH, & IN. Ohio is the worst to deal with requiring the most and wanting to be the least helpful. I have opinions as to why but will not go there.

What I have found and experienced is that dirt bikes (especially ones that have street possibilities), ATV's, etc; are often in a grey area when it come to titles. Many places do not even require a bill of sales but even that has become much more prevalent these days. I see and have done deals where I have just created a "bill of sale" myself just so I could prove where I bought the bike. I bought a 2009 Honda Rancher 4x4 quad in 2010 from a guy in Ohio and that did not have a title but should have from that state. The guy was getting divorced and lost his title or the Ex would not give it to him. Not big deal since they are not required to be titled here.

I see this stuff changing merely as a way for the local governments to collect more tax cash etc; That and many of these recreational vehicles cost so damn much new nowadays. Hell, some of these side by sides are more expensive than cars. And go get your check book out buying a new KTM dirt bike. Hell, if I was laying out $10 grand on a dirt scooter I'd want some paperwork for it.

I imagine there is and / or was a huge black market for "parts" bikes. Older off road bikes still fall beneath the radar.
    sponge likes this.
    Ride Safe.......You're the BUMPER!Hidden Content

2003 Yamaha TW200
    2008 Kawasaki KLR650
    2005 BMW K1200S
    2009 Honda 420 Rancher 4x4
    Hill Billy Bags

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    Grab each end and bend it really, really, really, really, really hard !
    Last edited by TW-Brian; 06-27-2016 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
    sponge, elime and TWilight like this.

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    In reading as much as I could find online, there are reports that they can become oil starved on the far side of the head. You can't really see it in that picture but once I cleaned up the broken cam, the far side was deeply blued and blackened. Rockers were the same. It got seriously hot before it snapped. Some re-builders will drill out and enlarge the oil passages to address the issue.
    Not really what you would expect from Honda engineers, but it happens.
    Chris Vogel
    Current Rides
    2014 Zuma 50, 2004 TW200, 1992 R100GS, 1987 TW200
    Current Projects
    1982 550 Vision, 1986 XL600R

Sponosred Links