• 4 Post By kj7687
  • 1 Post By JustPassinThru

Thread: This Suzuki is the perfect bike for new riders

This Suzuki is the perfect bike for new riders

Suzuki SFV650A - Business Insider

Hmmm. Looks kinda nice.
    little buddy and dogonit like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

ah yes, the venerable SV650. Often touted as the "beginner bike" that you won't get tired of, or bored with. Bullet proof 90 degree twin, light, torquey, good handling, pure fun, and affordable.
    now, back, better than ever. They did some nice improvements to the 650 motor too , noticeable on the older vs newer DL650.
    Hidden Content

Oregon, love the climate and riding, not so much the lefty politics.

I'm glad they went back to the nice styling instead of the Gladius (pronounced "Hideous") design.

I prefer the new steel tube trellis frame over the original SV aluminum even.

But when I look at this bike, I think what a great adv bike it could be.

The Wee Strom is a pavement adv bike with a huge ugly aluminum beam frame, cast wheels, way too much plastic, and too heavy.
    (Yes, I have one so this is my personal opinion)

They could build a great dual sport adv bike with the new steel tube frame, bolt on engine protection similar to the KTM 959/990/etc V-Twins with trellis frames, good suspension with 8" travel front and rear, spoke wheels, under seat fuel tank, strong points for mounting panniers, and other nice details.
    An affordable, smaller, lighter, less expensive version of the KTM V-Twins with Suzuki reliability.

But they won't of course.
    James

Attitude =

The difference between

Ordeal and Adventure

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I like the looks of this bike. And the 650 engine seems like a sweet middle-weight ride with plenty of get-up-and-go. However, I don't know about you guys, but I can't say I like the "clutch-activated low-RPM assist system". I understand wanting to woo new riders, but if they don't learn to ride properly from day one then they'll develop bad habits that will carry over past the 'new' period.

As far as I'm concerned, the same goes for other vehicles. All of this additional computerized 'advanced assistance' companies keep adding to their vehicles is creating lazy drivers who never develop awareness of their vehicle, how it interacts with the road, or the conditions under their tires. Not to mention it is yet another expensive piece to replace once it fails.

<rant-on>I'm going to sound paranoid, but I see this steady automation of our vehicles as an inevitable progress towards the day when we'll no longer be allowed to drive ourselves because "studies" will show that we are incapable of maintaining adequate concentration or situational awareness to be safe... all because people were never allowed to learn a complete set of skills to begin with.</rant-off>
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

I almost got the Gladius but I chose the Triumph. Unlike JagLite, I actually liked it...the trellis frame was a pretty blue and the tank white. Kind of girly looking so I thought it was being marketed to women. I still like the size, 650cc is enough but not too much....anyone can have fun on a bike of that displacement.

Here's a link to my new "want"..... or "think I want"......I haven't even test ridden it yet, I've only sat on a couple in the showroom.

https://rideapart.com/articles/2015-...ke-full-review
    littletommy and JerseyJeeper like this.
    Currently enjoying a great mix...
    2010 Triumph Bonneville T-100, 2013 Yamaha TW-200 & 2014 Yamaha V-Star 950 TourerHidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by dette View Post
    I almost got the Gladius but I chose the Triumph. Unlike JagLite, I actually liked it...the trellis frame was a pretty blue and the tank white. Kind of girly looking so I thought it was being marketed to women. I still like the size, 650cc is enough but not too much....anyone can have fun on a bike of that displacement.

Here's a link to my new "want"..... or "think I want"......I haven't even test ridden it yet, I've only sat on a couple in the showroom.

https://rideapart.com/articles/2015-...ke-full-review

Dette, you're such a wild child!!
    dette and JerseyJeeper like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

All in all, that was a really great article - well done.

I absolutely love this rant from the article - I am in perfect agreement!

"Now, the common misconception is it’s too small. It’s the whole “600s are for beginners” crap. I’d like to see the guy who says that ride so much as a modern 125cc to its absolute fullest potential, then call me about how only a liter bike will do. Ok, enough of that rant. "
    Last edited by kj7687; 06-28-2016 at 10:46 PM.
    dette, littletommy, badcat and 1 others like this.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by LuvNot View Post
    I like the looks of this bike. And the 650 engine seems like a sweet middle-weight ride with plenty of get-up-and-go. However, I don't know about you guys, but I can't say I like the "clutch-activated low-RPM assist system". I understand wanting to woo new riders, but if they don't learn to ride properly from day one then they'll develop bad habits that will carry over past the 'new' period.

As far as I'm concerned, the same goes for other vehicles. All of this additional computerized 'advanced assistance' companies keep adding to their vehicles is creating lazy drivers who never develop awareness of their vehicle, how it interacts with the road, or the conditions under their tires. Not to mention it is yet another expensive piece to replace once it fails.

<rant-on>I'm going to sound paranoid, but I see this steady automation of our vehicles as an inevitable progress towards the day when we'll no longer be allowed to drive ourselves because "studies" will show that we are incapable of maintaining adequate concentration or situational awareness to be safe... all because people were never allowed to learn a complete set of skills to begin with.</rant-off>
    That's also the argument against ABS for beginners - and it's a valid one. I think the impetus here is that new, younger and especially female new young riders, don't have any experience with ANY manual or direct-drive vehicle.

Sure, the controls are far different from a car/truck; but if you're trained and know what is HAPPENING when you let out the clutch, hand or foot...you're letting a spring-loaded friction pad come into contact with the flywheel, thus gradually rolling the transmission...if you don't KNOW that, it's just something to work. And if you let it out fast, it jumps - or, darn! it stalls.

I see the reason for it, It may even have its place. I'm just concerned about the added technological complexity of the thing...more software, more wiring, more to break.

I don't know if the new Wee-Stroms are wired this way - I've driven all cars like that since fuel injection became standard, 28 years ago. Let the clutch out, no gas - and the electronic governor and logic controls feed more fuel to speed up the engine. Stay off the gas until the clutch is fully out. Works fine everywhere but on a hill.

As for Suzuki, I think they need to spend more time with just basic marketing and dealer relations. Looking for a shop manual for my 2015, I've come to sense how few have sold. Fighting with some vibration after that camshaft recall, I've come to know that Suzuki's relations with its dealers are at an all-time low.

I know they're short on money; but GROW relations with dealers - or buy them out and just run the retail stores. SELL your hardware - not with gimmicks but with plain-old marketing and a user-friendly sales and service experience.
    LuvNot likes this.

Sponosred Links