Suzuki DR-Z 400SM: Is it any good?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Suzuki DR-Z 400SM: Is it any good?

Suzuki DR-Z 400SM: Is it any good?

Looking over Craigslist, I came across one that intrigued me. It was a 2007 with 10K miles. I felt the price asked was a bit steep at 4,500 but I would like to see what folks think of the bike and what kind of price would be right for a well maintained one of this vintage and mileage.

http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/5653634612.html
    Last edited by dogonit; 06-30-2016 at 01:36 PM.
    Just give me a minute while I collect my thoughts. They're around here somewhere. Maybe!

2013 TW200(Protaper SE ATV High handlebars, DID 428VX-X ring chain, Shinko Tires, K&N Air Filter, Seat Concepts "Grip" seat covering, Outlaw Racing Folding
    Gear shifter, My custom( long/thin) foot pegs, My custom(extended) Rear brake lever, Battery tender harness, Gel Battery, "Bikini" Bike rack, Mobil 1 4T synthetic, BLUE Ricochet Skid Plate , DG Exhaust & 15 Front Sproket.

How about a link so we can look at it?
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

They are great bikes but IMHO that is a stiff asking price for the year and miles on a used DRZ 400 that is nine years old. Even if it is motarded and farkled highly. Anotherwords, I'd never pay that for it but that is just me and the market here. Shop around and find a left over new for not a lot more than what they are asking. At least this holds true in my area. Right now for example there is a 2007 on CL in Sellersburg, IN (found on Cincinnati,OH CL) listed for $3,400 asking price in great shape from the photos and it has 1,150 miles on the ODO. Hardly used. So right there you are at $1,100 bucks less and a tenth of the wear and tear. I guarantee $3 grand would load that bike up into your truck.

I have some buddies that ride them. They do tend to hold their value fairly well if not ragged out too bad. I almost bought one but found an almost new 2 year old 2008 KLR with right at 1,000 miles original owner for $3,100 back in 2010. No brainer for me at that time. Plus I wanted something a little more road friendly for the most part.

If you are serious about getting a good deal you have to pound the pavement sometimes. I traveled between 2 1/2 - 3 hours one way for both my KLR and TW and it was well worth the savings. I also ran up to Indianapolis for my K1200S and that was also a good deal. Look at it this way. Is it worth it to spend a day or half a day with a little fuel out lay to save say $1,500 bucks? It is to me and getting a better shape bike with lower miles etc; To each their own on what it's worth to them.
    Last edited by 87bags; 06-30-2016 at 01:18 PM.
    dogonit, Dryden-Tdub and Tweaker like this.
    Ride Safe.......You're the BUMPER!Hidden Content

2003 Yamaha TW200
    2008 Kawasaki KLR650
    2005 BMW K1200S
    2009 Honda 420 Rancher 4x4
    Hill Billy Bags

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 87bags View Post
    They are great bikes but IMHO that is a stiff asking price for the year and miles on a used DRZ 400 that is nine years old. Even if it is motarded and farkled highly. Anotherwords, I'd never pay that for it but that is just me and the market here. Shop around and find a left over new for not a lot more than what they are asking. At least this holds true in my area. Right now for example there is a 2007 on CL in Sellersburg, IN (found on Cincinnati,OH CL) listed for $3,400 asking price in great shape from the photos and it has 1,150 miles on the ODO. Hardly used. So right there you are at $1,100 bucks less and a tenth of the wear and tear. I guarantee $3 grand would load that bike up into your truck.

I have some buddies that ride them. They do tend to hold their value fairly well if not ragged out too bad. I almost bought one but found an almost new 2 year old 2008 KLR with right at 1,000 miles original owner for $3,100 back in 2010. No brainer for me at that time. Plus I wanted something a little more road friendly for the most part.

If you are serious about getting a good deal you have to pound the pavement sometimes. I traveled between 2 1/2 - 3 hours one way for both my KLR and TW and it was well worth the savings. I also ran up to Indianapolis for my K1200S and that was also a good deal. Look at it this way. Is it worth it to spend a day or half a day with a little fuel out lay to save say $1,500 bucks? It is to me and getting a better shape bike with lower miles etc; To each their own on what it's worth to them.
    Is that the SM (motard model or the 400s)?
    Just give me a minute while I collect my thoughts. They're around here somewhere. Maybe!

2013 TW200(Protaper SE ATV High handlebars, DID 428VX-X ring chain, Shinko Tires, K&N Air Filter, Seat Concepts "Grip" seat covering, Outlaw Racing Folding
    Gear shifter, My custom( long/thin) foot pegs, My custom(extended) Rear brake lever, Battery tender harness, Gel Battery, "Bikini" Bike rack, Mobil 1 4T synthetic, BLUE Ricochet Skid Plate , DG Exhaust & 15 Front Sproket.

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    how about a link so we can look at it?
    done!
    littletommy likes this.

What are you planning on doing with it? I'll go out on a limb and assume you'll be commuting/adventuring and/or hot-rodding/hooligan-ing it on the street... If not, then get the S model instead (I'm sure you're aware of it). Anyway, the DRZ400S/SM is a brilliant machine. As with most any bike, there are some little fixes that need doing, to make sure it stays reliable; if you do them, the bike will be solid for a long time.

The 400SM is, IMO, one of the absolute best buys, if you're looking for a dependable ride to work every day that's also TONS of fun in the canyons/twisties (it will beat up crotch rockets all day long in that arena). Seriously, these bikes will absolutely rail in those corners!!! I give it a hearty two thumbs up - definitely can't go wrong!

***EDIT: I just clicked the link. I would personally avoid modded bikes such as this (intake/exhaust/jetting - probably done all wrong), like the plague. The reliability is usually destroyed (which is often the real reason they are up for sale in the first place) and they usually don't get much faster...buy a stocker and know how to ride it, and you'll embarrass squids on hot-rods any day.
    Last edited by kj7687; 06-30-2016 at 07:48 PM.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Im really intrigued by that SM model. How do you think it will be on gravel and sand roads with a trials tire out front and an appropriate tire out back? Are there off road tires that would fit and work well in your experiance or knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by kj7687 View Post
    What are you planning on doing with it? I'll go out on a limb and assume you'll be commuting/adventuring and/or hot-rodding/hooligan-ing it on the street... If not, then get the S model instead (I'm sure you're aware of it). Anyway, the DRZ400S/SM is a brilliant machine. As with most any bike, there are some little fixes that need doing, to make sure it stays reliable; if you do them, the bike will be solid for a long time.

The 400SM is, IMO, one of the absolute best buys, if you're looking for a dependable ride to work every day that's also TONS of fun in the canyons/twisties (it will beat up crotch rockets all day long in that arena). Seriously, these bikes will absolutely rail in those corners!!! I give it a hearty two thumbs up - definitely can't go wrong!

***EDIT: I just clicked the link. I would personally avoid modded bikes such as this (intake/exhaust/jetting - probably done all wrong), like the plague. The reliability is usually destroyed (which is often the real reason they are up for sale in the first place) and they usually don't get much faster...buy a stocker and know how to ride it, and you'll embarrass squids on hot-rods any day.

With a set of super sticky tires those things are a blast on twisty roads.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

image.jpeg
    WIDE Tires! nice forks...

That bike looks nice, to be sure, but personally I wouldn't pay that much for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links