• 5 Post By JustPassinThru
  • 1 Post By littletommy
  • 1 Post By JustPassinThru
  • 2 Post By JustPassinThru
  • 3 Post By LittleCowTW
  • 2 Post By gtmotor

Thread: Drifting Away...I'm becoming a dedicated volt-head

Drifting Away...I'm becoming a dedicated volt-head

Odd, the directions we move. And how fast; and how much money we can unload.

The regular reader will know I sold my TW to buy a Zero...a 2012 demonstrator selling for less than half of new price. I didn't know how it would work out.

Well, the 2012 is compromised; but only in comparison to the new ones. Range is a problem - advertised 100 miles, in reality it's about 70.

Speed is NOT a problem. It's less powerful than the new ones - but it's every bit as peppy as my Wee-Strom. It does move.

And it's light. I've had it on some pretty rough trails out my way, with a neighbor with an old Honda 250 enduro. The feared event happened...hit a big protruding boulder on a curve on the trail, and down I went. Not much speed at that point; a fast walk...it was a sharp turn.

I discovered something there. How EASY it was to set the Zero back up. Easier than the TW...recall, I'd gotten rear-ended and dropped my TW. I got it up, of course, but while it was light it wasn't feather-light.

The Zero is lighter.

Yet it will move at 85 mph...had it there. Steady as a rock. Most light bikes get fidgety or even go into a death-wobble at speed. Not this one.

Much as I loved the TW...still do, love that simple machinery...now that I've put 2500 miles on the Zero, I can't see a reason to go back.

Now. The local Zero dealer, who is also the Yamaha dealer who sold me my TW...has a 2015 Zero demonstrator for sale. Advertised 175 mile range; and 40 percent more power. I've ridden it.

Cut price. He's had it for sale for a year.

I'm thinking of selling the Wee for it. Really...between low cost, near-zero maintenance and superior performance...all a gas bike offers is fast-fueling. Necessary for long trips but otherwise not so.

Dealer is crunching the numbers. If he can meet me where I have decided I want to be met...the Wee goes up for sale.

Did I mention I got unexpectedly called back to work? That matters in more ways than one, also...if I'm working steadily, my touring trips, to Portland and to Wisconsin and other points...are gonna be on hold.

It's fun buying these toys, and fun playing with them...but the choices are agonizing.

Interesting post. I guess with the simplicity of the Zero and considering you don't need to make a long trip anywhere, it's a good choice. I hate to see anyone have to let go of a V Strom though, they are such remarkable bikes and the most bang for the buck of any bike out there in that class. Glad you are back at work, that must give you a little comfort. Enjoy that new one and let us know how you like it.
    kj7687 likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Interesting post. I guess with the simplicity of the Zero and considering you don't need to make a long trip anywhere, it's a good choice. I hate to see anyone have to let go of a V Strom though, they are such remarkable bikes and the most bang for the buck of any bike out there in that class. Glad you are back at work, that must give you a little comfort. Enjoy that new one and let us know how you like it.
    It's all up in the air.

I was getting the Wee sorted...got a usable luggage scheme and heated grips. The vibration is a worry but I'm coming to believe it's more my own neuralgia and Carpal Tunnel than anything really wrong with the bike. It vibrates - like machinery does.

It's paid for, so there's no hurry on this. Only thing is, it depreciates - as cycles do. This spring being my Riding-Fool Spring, I put...ELEVEN THOUSAND miles on the Wee.

So at least, for the depreciation I'll have, at least I got some of my money's worth out of it.

But if I put it up and leave it alone for some years...say, three years...it'll be a four-year-old Wee with high-for-its-age mileage, still.

I could sell it; and then buy an earlier, well-worn Wee as a backup bike...and bank the difference. Should never have bought new, but since I got zero financing on it (paid off now; I put my ducks in a row with my unemployed status) I couldn't resist.

Now it may cost me something.
    TWilight likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

JPT, I don't know about that vibration problem you are having. They have something a little off. I've heard of this before. Wow, I had no idea you put that many miles on that!!! I'm still under 5 grand somewhere. Good luck with it all!!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    JPT, I don't know about that vibration problem you are having. They have something a little off. I've heard of this before. Wow, I had no idea you put that many miles on that!!! I'm still under 5 grand somewhere. Good luck with it all!!
    Last year, when I was laid off and called back a couple of times...I did some touring with my CB1100. Had 10,500 miles on it when I traded it in - for the Zero.

This year, I had SIX MONTHS off. Spring came early. I had business in Portland; I took the Wee. Made a trip north to Seattle, same time.

Headed east to take care of final, close-out business in Michigan and Ohio and New York...places I lived at, years back. Long story...and not pressing, but I had a new bike and spring was in the air...

Spring came down hard on me on that trip. I had snow in Michigan. I had rain coming back to Montana - nearly froze my feet off; I didn't have heated socks or even bread-wrappers to put my feet into. My leather boots soaked up the cold rain and I thought I was gonna not be able to walk, getting off. More than once.

But...new bike; great fuel mileage...for the most part I was liking it. My plan of using AirBnB to save lodging didn't pan out, though.

I think that's over. Next time I get that kind of time away from work I'll be retired - and who knows if I'll be able to ride still. One more reason for doing this - I think back on all the skiing trips I DID NOT take when I was a young guy, and now I can't take them and don't want to, as an old duffer. I want to be able to take them as a young kid.

At some point I'll have to give up riding, unless I drop dead suddenly. I want it out of my system. The Zero, the one I have or the one I may buy, will be a fine retirement bike. Light like the TW and faster. Cheaper to fuel.
    littletommy and TWilight like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
    Odd, the directions we move. And how fast; and how much money we can unload.

The regular reader will know I sold my TW to buy a Zero...a 2012 demonstrator selling for less than half of new price. I didn't know how it would work out.

Well, the 2012 is compromised; but only in comparison to the new ones. Range is a problem - advertised 100 miles, in reality it's about 70.

Speed is NOT a problem. It's less powerful than the new ones - but it's every bit as peppy as my Wee-Strom. It does move.

And it's light. I've had it on some pretty rough trails out my way, with a neighbor with an old Honda 250 enduro. The feared event happened...hit a big protruding boulder on a curve on the trail, and down I went. Not much speed at that point; a fast walk...it was a sharp turn.

I discovered something there. How EASY it was to set the Zero back up. Easier than the TW...recall, I'd gotten rear-ended and dropped my TW. I got it up, of course, but while it was light it wasn't feather-light.

The Zero is lighter.

Yet it will move at 85 mph...had it there. Steady as a rock. Most light bikes get fidgety or even go into a death-wobble at speed. Not this one.

Much as I loved the TW...still do, love that simple machinery...now that I've put 2500 miles on the Zero, I can't see a reason to go back.

Now. The local Zero dealer, who is also the Yamaha dealer who sold me my TW...has a 2015 Zero demonstrator for sale. Advertised 175 mile range; and 40 percent more power. I've ridden it.

Cut price. He's had it for sale for a year.

I'm thinking of selling the Wee for it. Really...between low cost, near-zero maintenance and superior performance...all a gas bike offers is fast-fueling. Necessary for long trips but otherwise not so.

Dealer is crunching the numbers. If he can meet me where I have decided I want to be met...the Wee goes up for sale.

Did I mention I got unexpectedly called back to work? That matters in more ways than one, also...if I'm working steadily, my touring trips, to Portland and to Wisconsin and other points...are gonna be on hold.

It's fun buying these toys, and fun playing with them...but the choices are agonizing.
    Consider an electric fat bike!

40 + mile range with pedal assist.
    or crank the throttle and do 25 mph with minimal pedaling.
    weighs 60 pounds.
    crawles through sand and snow without killing you.
    shift from the bottom of the motorcycle food chain to the top of the bicycle food chain.
    The best part, minimal regulation. A real throwback to a bygone era. I now get to enjoy nearly total freedom of movement. You could ride it through a park in front of a cop and nobody cares.

Just saying, go ride one, it is a life altering experience. I'll be morel hunting on mine asap. Crawling around at 2 mph in total silence. In a t shirt. Right now I commute 10 miles one way along city bike paths faster than my truck can do it and I never break a sweat. That ride kills one of the five battery bars generally. On my TW I sit in rush hour traffic and dream of a better life.
    Persistence is the better part of genius.

What about this one??

PED2?Tokyo Motor Show 2015 - Event | YAMAHA MOTOR CO., LTD.

I would totally buy that (if it has similar specs as the TW in terms of speed)
    littletommy and Tweaker like this.

Sponosred Links