BW200 Bumblebee build, Big Wheel owners unite!
Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: BW200 Bumblebee build, Big Wheel owners unite!

BW200 Bumblebee build, Big Wheel owners unite!

Thanks for checking this out, I have done a bunch of research and will keep doing more but I'm going to need help as time goes along. If you don't care how I got the bike and just want to know what the deal is you can skip down to the second paragraph. For those of you who like the back story, read on. My dad gave me his 1987 BW200 we had growing up when I returned home to Colorado after a couple years in Arizona. I live in Virginia now and did not have room to bring it with me when I moved, but I'm shooting a moose in CO in October and will be getting it then. I am really stoked about the bike, I can remember my dad packing out an entire elk on it-- he would tie all the meat to our homemade racks and go a hundred yards or so, then he would loose his balance and dump the bike, then he would untie all of the meat, stand the bike back up, and tie it all back on, and repeat. Another time we went to the dunes and that thing would go anywhere, he could stop halfway up a steep hill and start climbing again no problem. As you can see I have a lot of nostalgic memories about the bike and so I'm glad he hasn't junked it. I was trying to figure out a color scheme before I started a thread and was thinking a black/yellow combo like the DT400 my dad has (that we also grew up riding) would be cool.

Big thanks to macbig2k1 for posting all of the sweet info on his various threads (someday he may even grace my thread with a post), as well as all those who have gone before me, pioneering the way to more fun with fat tires...

EDIT: Un-TRDL'd post. Will re-TRDL when the project is finished...
    Last edited by YBW; 11-03-2016 at 09:31 PM.

Don't know anything more than I also like the yellow and black color scheme.
    Don't know about Colorado or Virginia but here the DMV might look a little closely at the Black Diamond tire during vehicle inspection at licensing time. "Now just where did you say it says D.O.T. Young Man?"sti-black-diamond-atr-group-large.png
    YBW and jtomelliott49 like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Oh well that's why I chose them! They are dee oh tee approved! (although to be fair I don't know where exactly its says on the tire...)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I thought I could be making a mistake with the D.O.T. thing. Good find, thanks for the correction.
    Bikes from our past that trigger nostalgic memories do deserve to be resurrected.
    If the 25 inch height of the Black Diamond differs significantly from the stock tire I would consider restoring stock final drive ratio via a change of sprocket(s) for optimal moose-packing.
    TWilight and jtomelliott49 like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Luckily in VA the biggest thing I have to worry about packing out is a big ol' black bear...PICT0048.JPG
    I am having my dad mail me out the certificate of origin so that I can try my hand at procuring a non "off-road use only" title so that my ducks are in a row when it comes time to plate it. Wish me luck!
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.

I will wish you the best of luck on this project. I kinda wish I could find an old Hodaka Ace 100. lol
    littletommy likes this.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

Quote Originally Posted by jtomelliott49 View Post
    I will wish you the best of luck on this project. I kinda wish I could find an old Hodaka Ace 100. lol
    This one just popped up on craigslist in San Jose for $645. Won't last long . . . . . .

1970 Hodaka ACE 100

Well, I just ordered my front tire (25x8-11) because Rockymountain ATV had one left on closeout and the steering stem bearings (so I could get free shipping). Also I found a guy in WA that will make a sleeve and install it for $200, so I'm thinking I will order my piston and have him do it. There is a stator/cover assembly as well as an entire wiring harness complete with CDI, relays, ect from an 05 TW on eBay. I know the stator and cover will fit, so I'm thinking it may be a good way to bring all of my electrical up to date but its kind of steep ($450.00). Any suggestions?
    littletommy likes this.

Make sure that you also get the matching flywheel for the '05 TW stator/cover assembly, as it is unlikely that these parts will work with the BW flywheel.

Oh good to know, thanks TW-Brian! For a few minutes I entertained the idea of going with a Caterpillar theme like this: cat2.jpg
    which I think would be well suited to the Big Wheel but Cat isn't really significant to me in any way so I don't think I will.
    Last edited by YBW; 07-18-2016 at 05:28 PM.
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links