is this filter too clean?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: is this filter too clean?

is this filter too clean?

IMGP2790.JPGi'm breaking in a new motor and changed the oil and filter last night at the 100 mile mark. I decided to cut the filter open just to see how the break in is going. to my surprize the filter is spot less. I thought I would see something, is this a good sign or not so good. does it mean the engine is not breaking in properly??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by grewen; 07-27-2016 at 12:50 PM.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

IMO...the Stock{metal} Filter is as good as they get.... 5500 on my 2014, original filter, Montezuma has well over 6000 on his 2015...Same original stock filter....I clean mine after every other oil change....and never had a problem.....

Much better than the cardboard/paper filters....not sure why anybody would think these things {the metal original} needs changed with each oil change...
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

I believe that the oil flow is such that any debris trapped by the filter will show up on the exterior of the filter, resulting in only filtered oil on the inside of the filter.

Interesting picture, I've never seen the inside of one of these filters.
    grewen likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Depends on your definition of "new motor" - if it's a factory standard new Yamaha out of the box, then "yes" - the filter is disgracefully clean, and you need to hand the bike over to one of us who will soon sort this out.

If this is a "re-built" engine, then "no" - looks good to me

Most of the crud the engine "barfs up" (thank you Fred) comes from running in all the individual components all at once - if this is a re-build, then you're looking good .......
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

How did the screen look? It can catch the larger chunks before the filter.

Its not what you can see but what you cant see hidden in the pleats of the filter media that is the concern. I cut open filters all the time at work, both oil and gas filters. With break-in of an engine it's the tiny little particals that you can't see that you want to flush out, some so small the filter doesn't stop them and they are suspended in the oil. Best thing you can do is change the oil after warming it up, pull that plug and get all the little gritties washed out. I am still running my original screen on my 2009 and after the first three oil changes at 100kms, then 300 kms, and finally at 500 kms there was no more flakes or silvery bits in the screen. Most I would think came from the gear box wearing in and now the oil/filter is clean as can be. If you simply just did a re-ringed and bearings, then you should not have had any flakes or heavy silver showing, and the fine particals from that kind of break-in will be in the filter but hard to see. If you drain your hot oil into a clear bowl (found in wife's baking cabinet) and let it sit for a day or so, you will see a grey sludge form on the bottom edges of the bowl. That will be what came from your break-in run and most will flow straight though most filters and remain in your oil so if you don't change your oil out on a new machine or a rebuild to the manufactors recommended time all that crud just continues to flow thru your oil galleries. One thing I dont like about the paper filters on the TW is that they can restrict the flow of oil and being that these little engines dont have a high pressure oil pump pushing it thru, guess what areas dont get oil as the flow gets restricted... the top end...cams/bearings. There is a reason the oil system comes with a washable screen and not a throw away canister (and its not cause Yamaha went "green") this is their way of maintaining high enough flow to ensure that the top end gets the oil it needs. So dont waste your money on paper filters, put that money into changing that oil more often and your TW will love you more.
    Last edited by wrench-puller; 07-27-2016 at 02:45 PM.
    grewen, Fred, Hoot Gibson and 1 others like this.
    2009 TW200, Jimbo shield, 47&55T rear with DID chain, Maxxis Ceros Rear, Kendra 270 front, extended swing arm, 1"Risers, Rear rack, Raised front fender, XOG GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot Gibson View Post
    IMO...the Stock{metal} Filter is as good as they get.... 5500 on my 2014, original filter, Montezuma has well over 6000 on his 2015...Same original stock filter....I clean mine after every other oil change....and never had a problem.....

Much better than the cardboard/paper filters....not sure why anybody would think these things {the metal original} needs changed with each oil change...
    thanks Hoot, but that wasn't what I was asking
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    I believe that the oil flow is such that any debris trapped by the filter will show up on the exterior of the filter, resulting in only filtered oil on the inside of the filter.

Interesting picture, I've never seen the inside of one of these filters.
    that's not a tw filter. oil flows inside out on this bike
    Last edited by grewen; 07-27-2016 at 10:19 PM.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Depends on your definition of "new motor" - if it's a factory standard new Yamaha out of the box, then "yes" - the filter is disgracefully clean, and you need to hand the bike over to one of us who will soon sort this out.

If this is a "re-built" engine, then "no" - looks good to me

Most of the crud the engine "barfs up" (thank you Fred) comes from running in all the individual components all at once - if this is a re-build, then you're looking good .......
    this is brand new bike, v twin 250
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Quote Originally Posted by Xracer View Post
    How did the screen look? It can catch the larger chunks before the filter.
    no screen on this motor
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links