1999 XT350 -- just got, a few questions
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: 1999 XT350 -- just got, a few questions

1999 XT350 -- just got, a few questions

First, I'd like to say I'll be back on the forum now that I have a bike again.

I just picked up a 1999 XT350 locally for $1,400. It came with a clarke tank and rear cyclerack, so I figure the "bike" itself was what... 1100 or so? Not bad I guess. Would have done those upgrades anyway, so I consider that money saved.

A few things:

1) I'll take it over to the local bike shop and have them give it a once-over/tune-up, etc. I can fix most problems which arise with the help of this fine forum and YouTube, but I don't know what I don't know to look for exactly.
    2) I broke the dang shifter partly right in front of the garage after driving it home. Felt like it wasn't wanting to go into gear (didn't realize I was in first and not second) and sure enough, the toe portion straight broke off which my enthusiastic stomping on it -- fairly easy to replace I assume?
    3) Seems to have a slight oil leak below the engine/on top of the I dunno what ya call it.. the crank case? I don't recall that when I looked it over before buying, so I'll need to get that checked out. Could also just be stuff which was dust covered and when heated up became more liquid. Will wipe off and test once I repair the shifter.
    4) Holds around 5.5k RPM in 5th gear at around 50-60... that alright or is that indicative of something going on? Red line starts at what... 7-8k? I'd have to look.

I was going to go with the tw200, but I could not find one locally which was under 2k, even really old ones, and I did not want to get into a payment situation.

Hoping I didn't get a lemon. Seems to run fine, just worried about the potential oil leak.

Watch for carb boot leaks. I assume it is the "dual carb YDIS" set up. Oil leak- It is likely leaking from the cylinder base gasket. That requires the jug (top end) to be removed to replace. My 1994 leaked after a few years as well. Other than that, its normal stuff. Chain, sprockets, steering head and rear suspension bearings/ bushings. Not much suspension, motor a bit weak compared to the competition of the time, but I loved mine.
    jeffrolives and jtomelliott49 like this.
    2002 TW200 "The Punisher"
    1998 DR350r
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

Sorry man it's junk, you better send it to me for proper recycling.
    j/k

You done good.
    They'e getting popular again for the same reasons they were popular when they were new. Yamaha made bazillions of them from 1985 to 200. Parts and service items are readily available.
    There was only a few minor changes from beginning to end. The big changes were " Bold NEW Graphics "

Put up some pics when you're ready to ?

Here's one of mine.
    0604121221a - Copy.jpg
    '87, '90, 90 & '91 XT350's. It's a family thing, wife says its an enabling thing. Saving up for a TW of my own.
    Looking for anything Yamaha XT or related. especially a brake caliper and master cylinder.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the replies so far.

Here are some pics. You can see where it's wet. I don't recall that when I looked at it before buying, but like I said, it could have been there and just the heat of driving it made it more noticeable.
    IMG_1637.JPGIMG_1641.JPGIMG_1642.JPGIMG_1643.JPGIMG_1644.JPG
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

That seat don't look stock. If its by Seat Concepts your bike alone price is now $900-$1,000.

The shifter is fixable, got a buddy who can weld ? Oil leak is too. Before tearing it down don't forget to check the crank case vent tube for blockages first.

There's a bunch of mods you can do. Be careful they will suck you in. Nothing wrong with them bone stock either.

Nice bike.
    '87, '90, 90 & '91 XT350's. It's a family thing, wife says its an enabling thing. Saving up for a TW of my own.
    Looking for anything Yamaha XT or related. especially a brake caliper and master cylinder.

I don't think it's an SC seat, unless it is and was recovered. Definitely not stock, but unsure what it is. Any way to tell if the original SC cover was redone -- such as seat frame/skeleton indicators?

I used JB weld on the shifter last night after taking off the whole lever. Once that's set for 24 hours, I'll attempt further reinforcement until I can get a replacement in or can pass it off to a buddy who has a welder. I don't want to drive it much until I have the local shop (Apex motorsports) give it a once-over. Would rather wait a few days and be sure than drive now and get a bad surprise -- especially if anything was fixable and becomes unfixable.

When I take off the oil fill cap, should I see oil present? I did not, so I added a little I had on hand, but didn't know how full it should be -- didn't have indications of problems on drive home, so unsure.

Looking back on the drive home, I might have had trouble shifting into 6th gear -- if it even made it there. Once shifter is believably fixed/shop gives it all clear, I'll test drive it and be more careful about counting. So used to 1D/4U patterns that I might not have realized it was giving problems into 6th.

Once it's good to go/passes a check up, I'll begin getting in hand guards and a manrack for front, generally kitting it out to be a pack mule. I had a cyclerack front on the tw200, but I never liked that it covered the headlight.

Nice bike CS-and a nice buy too. I owned a 1991 XT350 and had a blast with it for many years. Unfortunately for me-the cam chain tensioner wore out at around 11,000 miles and KaPlunk! So, grab yourself a Clymer manual (I even have one if you're interested) and get to know your bike from top to bottom. They are a blast to ride both fast and slow- and 55-60 mph seems a little short of the bike's limit. But, we don't know your weight weight/gear/etc. Check your sprockets to see if they are the original configuration, as this can reduce your top end quite a bit. There are many aftermarket shift levers that will fit the XT for less than $20.00, some with a flexible tip. I would invest in one of these early on if possible. Oh, and check your brake pads too---the rear can wear very quickly. Have fun and report back!
    jeffrolives and jtomelliott49 like this.

UncleRandy,

Thanks for the info. If you are interested in selling the manual, I'm interested in buying. Feel free to PM me. It would do more than 60, but not with enthusiasm (I also didn't want to go too fast since it was my first time on it and I haven't ridden in around 3 years).

Brakes definitely need to be replaced, as stopping is not a quick thing. Will also likely need at least a new rear tire (shows signs of age).

Also, noticed the number on the engine doesn't match frame VIN.

Example (not actual numbers)
    Frame:
    jya3nve05xa046452
    Engine:
    3nv - 046287

So I'm assuming the engine was swapped out at some point?

Nice bike!
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by CS1983 View Post
    UncleRandy,

Thanks for the info. If you are interested in selling the manual, I'm interested in buying. Feel free to PM me. It would do more than 60, but not with enthusiasm (I also didn't want to go too fast since it was my first time on it and I haven't ridden in around 3 years).

Brakes definitely need to be replaced, as stopping is not a quick thing. Will also likely need at least a new rear tire (shows signs of age).

Also, noticed the number on the engine doesn't match frame VIN.

Example (not actual numbers)
    Frame:
    jya3nve05xa046452
    Engine:
    3nv - 046287

So I'm assuming the engine was swapped out at some point?
    Your engine and frame numbers 046287 and 046452 are so close I wouldn't wouldn't think so. UncleRandy brings up a good point. Cam chain tensioner. The have a clock spring inside. Springs have a finite life span. All XT350's are between 16 and 31 years old now. A new tensioner and new air filter foam element are cheap piece of mind.
    Last edited by Eatmore Mudd; 08-03-2016 at 11:14 PM.
    kj7687 and jtomelliott49 like this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links