Stripped screws in engine. 1972 dt250
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Stripped screws in engine. 1972 dt250

Stripped screws in engine. 1972 dt250

So my DT project, got the engine off the frame. Had really low compression and was filthy. Cleaning it off, I was about to start opening the engine to inspect inside. Nearly every screw on the engine is stripped the F out. I see lots of people drilling stripped screws with screw extractor kits. Has anyone used these before on engines? Any advice or tips as to which kit to buy and how to use? Is there a better method of removal? Thanks in advance!
    -Ruri

That's a bummer!

Could you clarify what you mean by stripped? Do you mean that the head of the screw/bolt is stripped and will not hold a screwdriver/socket, or do you mean that the screw/bolt threads are stripped in the engine case?

I know they have used to love using Phillips head screws on the cases of the older bikes. If it's the Phillips head that's stripped out you can often use a dremel with a small cutoff disk to grind a slot and then use a flat blade impact driver to then remove. I'd try that before drilling and using a screw extractor.
    2011 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
    2010 Yamaha TW200
    1982 Yamaha XT250 (in process)
    1978 Yamaha SR500 Scrambler (in process)
    1972 Honda XL250 Motosport (in process)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I would start by hammering the proper bit into the fastener using the proper bit socket and extension then follow that up with a impact gun or impact driver.

Snap on makes some really good screw extractors .... but the cheaper ones work fine as well. I usually break the tip off the extractor a bit to allow it to grip a bigger diameter without having to drill so deep into the fastener. The problem is that these are small diameter screws so you will need to use a small drill which won't allow a big beefy extractor. The problem is if you break off the hardened steel extractor you are really up shit creek since its nearly impossible to drill.

If it was me I would just drill the heads off all the screws, then use a punch or chisel to snap the heads off ..... then remove the shanks after the covers and cases are split using vice grips and heat and penetrating fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    That's a bummer!

Could you clarify what you mean by stripped? Do you mean that the head of the screw/bolt is stripped and will not hold a screwdriver/socket, or do you mean that the screw/bolt threads are stripped in the engine case?
    Yes phillips heads are all stripped out and won't hold a screwdriver. I hope the threads are not!

Quote Originally Posted by TWGuzzi View Post
    I know they have used to love using Phillips head screws on the cases of the older bikes. If it's the Phillips head that's stripped out you can often use a dremel with a small cutoff disk to grind a slot and then use a flat blade impact driver to then remove. I'd try that before drilling and using a screw extractor.
    This is brilliant! I will try this before drilling anything out! Thank you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Heli-Mech View Post
    I would start by hammering the proper bit into the fastener using the proper bit socket and extension then follow that up with a impact gun or impact driver.

Snap on makes some really good screw extractors .....
    If the dremel (making flathead screws) doesnt work I will be sure to try this next. Thanks for the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by AGman View Post
    Use a sharp cold chisel to put a nick in the head and then tap the chisel anti-clockwise to loosen the screw. A good smack on the head of the screw first with a hammer and punch will help as well.

Be patient and keep the faith...that old DT is worth saving.
    I love the look of those old vinatage enduros, I almost bought two more this weekend. Figured I should probably finish one project first XD Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to try it out!
    -Ruri

Okay so I tried the dremel tool. Made a flathead out of a couple of the bad screws and viola! The screws popped right out easy peasy. Kind of amazed the previous owner managed to strip them out... Maybe the PB blaster I put on there last night helped a bit. You are kings among men my friends. Keep up the good work!
    -Ruri

A trick I learned many years ago as an young A&P mechanic was many a screw can be remove by using valve grinding compound. All you have to do is put a small amount on your screw driver bit and work it back and fourth a couple times, or until you fell it bite and out the come. Mike
    littletommy likes this.

A lot of these young whippersnappers probably don't know that trick... Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by mike48750 View Post
    A trick I learned many years ago as an young A&P mechanic was many a screw can be remove by using valve grinding compound. All you have to do is put a small amount on your screw driver bit and work it back and fourth a couple times, or until you fell it bite and out the come. Mike
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by mike48750 View Post
    Interesting. I'll be sure to try it out. I love learning new techniques, adding new skills to the ol' "toolbox". Very appreciated!
    -Ruri

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach
    Where those Phillips screws or JIS? Using a Phillips on a JIS will strip out the head.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links