• 1 Post By Ruri
  • 1 Post By Smitty Blackstone
  • 1 Post By Ruri
  • 1 Post By sponge
  • 2 Post By Ruri
  • 2 Post By ssgtrillium

Thread: Gas tank restoration

Gas tank restoration

So my XS500 and DT1 tanks have been soaking in vinegar for a while now. Here is a before and after of the XS

xs tank.jpg

Here is the inside of the tank as of today.

Tank XS500.jpg

My question is, how clean does it have to be in order to put some Red Kote in them? As you can see there is a tiny bit of residue left over in the tank. It comes free very easily, a finger can swipe it clean, but I cannot get at most of it. Any of you guys have any tried and true methods for getting that final bit out? I dumped the original vinegar and flushed another 8 gallons through but it doesnt get that last little bit. Any suggestions or tips appreciated!!
    -Ruri

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    You can run some acetone through it to get rid of the last bits.

If the tank isn't leaking, why bother to line it?
    Every time we get a bike in the shop that has been coated (no matter what the coating), the tanks have condensation between the liner and metal that rots the crap out of the tank faster than if it were just left alone.
    The act of lining a tank that is not leaking ruins more tanks than it saves.

We only use the POR15 kit when the tank is super rare AND is leaking AND we don't want to ruin original paint.
    Kreem is Krap.
    I have pictures of me twisting out a Kreem Krap liner from a 74 CL450 tank. The outside of this liner was LOADED with rust from the condensation that got in there. I cleaned the tank the same way I told you to (with vinegar), and since it didn't leak.... I didn't reline it. Working perfectly for three years.

And you ask my experience in this field?
    Well, last year there were over 200 bikes run through our shop, mostly old Jap and Brit bikes.
    This year, the number will be close to double that.
    So yeah, I've seen a tank or two.
    Ruri, sponge, peruano and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty Blackstone View Post
    You can run some acetone through it to get rid of the last bits.

If the tank isn't leaking, why bother to line it?
    Every time we get a bike in the shop that has been coated (no matter what the coating), the tanks have condensation between the liner and metal that rots the crap out of the tank faster than if it were just left alone.
    The act of lining a tank that is not leaking ruins more tanks than it saves.

We only use the POR15 kit when the tank is super rare AND is leaking AND we don't want to ruin original paint.
    Kreem is Krap.
    I have pictures of me twisting out a Kreem Krap liner from a 74 CL450 tank. The outside of this liner was LOADED with rust from the condensation that got in there. I cleaned the tank the same way I told you to (with vinegar), and since it didn't leak.... I didn't reline it. Working perfectly for three years.

And you ask my experience in this field?
    Well, last year there were over 200 bikes run through our shop, mostly old Jap and Brit bikes.
    This year, the number will be close to double that.
    So yeah, I've seen a tank or two.
    Perfect I will try the acetone out first thing in the morning. If you say don't line it, I'm gonna go ahead and follow your suggestion. Just all the random vids and posts about restoring tanks, they usually line it so I assumed that is the norm. Once again, this is why this forum rocks. I have posted this exact same question on a couple forums today. A lot of dunno, flush more gas in there.. Which i have been doing all day and refuses to "grab" that residue. Not trying to shame anyone or other communities. Lot's of great guys trying to help out. Anyways thanks again Smitty!
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    -Ruri

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The acetone should get the last of it. If it wipes out, try running a rag on a stick.
    Also, as soon as you can, run some WD40 in there. Pour in about a cup or so, and swish it around. Then dump it out and cover the tank openings with foil or tape till you are ready to install it.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Ruri likes this.

Got it. Thanks again!
    -Ruri

Since we have great minds here I am going to throw a hijack into the tank lining mix.
    A while a go I was reading about different ways of electroplating different motorcycle parts. And the thought was how about doing a copper electroplate of the tank then a light zinc plate, then heating it to form a Brass layer. I do this to a few penny's every year in my chemistry classes, and it has me thinking.
    I suspect that the heat would need to reach about 700 C* so it might ruin any paint. Might need to start with a bare steel tank.
    Chris Vogel
    Current Rides
    2014 Zuma 50, 2004 TW200, 1992 R100GS, 1987 TW200
    Current Projects
    1982 550 Vision, 1986 XL600R

Quote Originally Posted by sponge View Post
    Since we have great minds here I am going to throw a hijack into the tank lining mix.
    A while a go I was reading about different ways of electroplating different motorcycle parts. And the thought was how about doing a copper electroplate of the tank then a light zinc plate, then heating it to form a Brass layer. I do this to a few penny's every year in my chemistry classes, and it has me thinking.
    I suspect that the heat would need to reach about 700 C* so it might ruin any paint. Might need to start with a bare steel tank.
    Whoa there buddy... You're getting awfully technical. I'm trying to restore a motorcycle, not trying to relive my failed chemistry class experiments.
    Purple and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    -Ruri

I put aquarium rocks in mine and shook the heck out of it.

I'm liking the electroplating idea without the heating to make brass.

Sponosred Links