Any Polaris ATV experience here?
Close

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Dryden-Tdub
  • 1 Post By 1911garand
  • 1 Post By plumbstraight
  • 2 Post By Tinybear

Thread: Any Polaris ATV experience here?

Any Polaris ATV experience here?

Well after last years experiment with buying a cheap beater ATV to see if the wife liked trail riding it looks like it's time to get her a good solid ride to enjoy many more miles with my TW.

I was at the Polaris dealer last week getting parts for my Victory and was looking around at the sportsman 450 and 570. They look like a nice affordable machine that's very easy to ride and use (ideal for the wife as she struggles with the shifting on her current Ozark 250). Reveiws seem mixed either loving or hating figured I'd ask here to see if any of you that have ATVs have much experience with the sportsmans.

Mostly want a little larger machine that's fully auto and 4x4 (considering plowing drive with it) and does. It have too many buttons and things to deal with.
    2017 Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT

2010 Yamaha TW200

2016 Polaris Sportsman 450 HO

2005 Yamaha Bruin 350 4x4

I have a buddy that owns a 570 4x4 with electric power steering. Its a nice ATV but he has had some issues with it. he had a problem with the upgraded wheels that wrecked his tie rod ends( that was a dealer issue). He also has a major problem with the CVT transmission when it got filled with water, they tell him it needs to be cleaned every time you take it in the mud.

If it were me i would buy a Honda, another good friend of mine has a Honda foreman with power steering and the DCT automatic and he has had not one issue with it and it has a lot of hours on it.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

I've worked on a few of em. Older ones were a mite crude and not thought out very well. I personally don't car e for CVT transmissions but the newer designs seem to hold up and do allow for no shifting but have compression braking. Polaris is a better value than most. The Hondas are the gold standard of ATVs. I was impressed with the one "osark" I worked on once, had a locking differential allowing much better steering than the more common live axle.
    Tonto
    on the "Left Coast"
    2015 BMW F700GS
    2005 V Star 1100
    lost count on TWs, 3?
    More Wagging and less Barking
    Make Love not War

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have owned two 4 wheeler's in the past 25 years and both have been Polaris. All quads have their issues no doubt about that but the few times mine have needed work the parts were cheap and readily available. My current 500 plows snow well but it seems hard on the belt drive. two belts in ten years is not unreasonable though.

Tom
    littletommy likes this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

I had a 350l back in 1993, fell apart after 900 miles, traded for a yamaha kodiac 400 back in 1995, much better machine until the rear final drive bearing failed, traded it for a honda recon 250 then also got a honda rancher 350 in 2001. The recon is the best, most enjoyable machine that I owned. Big is not better, like the TW200.

I worked for Polaris and Victory for a decade - testing, development, engineering, dealer services....etc...etc..

The 570 / 450 engines are very good. Built like a tank (I wrote the service manual for the first 570 for the RZR 570 when it was released).

The only negative to that engine is the shim under bucket cam style, which is a pain to adjust valves.

Other than that, we tested the SNOT of that engine - it is good.

Get EPS. It acts as power steering and steering damper.
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.
    Yamaha - 1992 TW200
    BMW - 1995 R1100GS

I would go with the Honda for sure. I have seen a lot of Polaris being pulled from the outback in Ak. Belt problems, burn one that gets wet and you are done. I have a 650 rincon honda. I wished I had bought the smaller 420 with the lower geared transmission. As it is it is a good machine, rides well and has plenty of power, just wish it had better crawling gears.

I do however have a Polaris Ace. It has the 570 engine with more power than anyone needs. I bought it for the wife, mistake, never rode it and she is history now anyway. Still have the Ace though. Is a good ladies ride with the nice seat, seatbelts, steering wheel and drives like a car. With a rollcage and all it is a good ride. Even with the smaller engine, it will leave my rincon in the dust.
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.

Once again thanx all. After a couple trips to look at a few ATVs. We pulled the trigger on a new 2016 Polaris Sportsman 450 HO in a nice girly blue colour (it is the wife's after all lol). The Hondas though very nice just were not as comfy and the controls were far more complicated. Add in the price difference (over a thousand more for the Honda) and the Polaris just made more sence to use.

We went with the 450 over the 570 (same engine and size just detuned) as it seems to run cooler and we really don't need the added power. Also being lower stressed it may end up being a more reliable drive train.

We pick up the new beast in a week and she's excited to say the least. Pics will be included when we bring it home (hope the TW don't get jealous it's still my favourite dirt toy).
    Dryden-Tdub and plumbstraight like this.
    2017 Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT

2010 Yamaha TW200

2016 Polaris Sportsman 450 HO

2005 Yamaha Bruin 350 4x4

Sponosred Links