Scr950 ?
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By grewen

Thread: Scr950 ?

Scr950 ?

At the end of my local mountain/desert dirt road/trail/cross-country exploring, I am hoping to get another street bike.
    The base model 883 Sportster would be sufficient (had both 883 and 1200) for my current type of riding, but for the past ~8 years, Harley has made them only in the low or super low height...akin to the Yamahoa Bolt.
    My feet do not place where expected, my hands to not fall to a normal position, etc.
    So, I am considering a Yamaha SCR950, currently researching availability of common parts and prices, such as oil filter, air filter and service accessibility.
    I want to be able to cruise at 75, with bursts to 90 for passing.
    The tank capacity is limited (3.2 gallons) with MPG rating of 51 = 163 mile max range.

Valve adjustment is 16,000 mile intervals, but with 4 valves per 2 cylinders, that is 4 times the valves to check, compared to a TW!

Belt drive is nice, laced wheels do not permit tubeless tires, which is a negative to em.

Have not seen lean angle numbers, yet.

Would appreciate input form anyone with knowledge (first or second hand) about any issues, quirks (oil filter difficult to remove if over-tightened), etc

TIA

12.JPG15.JPG
    I bought a 2016 bolt r spec in oct. only have 663 kms on, that's all I could do in the month before insurance ran out. I really like mine. I had to trade in a brand new Yamaha Vstar 250 because it was making a cripple out me. the bolt is way more comfy. handle bars may have to come back some. the bike has way more power than I will ever need, but I'm not speedy gonzalis. there are a ton of aftermarket parts and add ons for it. a company called low and mean makes accessories just for it. check it out on you tube. aftermarket bits and pieces are way more expensive than those for the TW. but like the TW, Yamaha hasn't done everything right. I'm just about to send my computer ( for the engine) down to New York for a reprogramming to fix all the misses that Yamaha put in it, I think mainly for pollution. I also did not like the 45 gallon drum with the converter built in, that they nailed to the side of the bike and called it a muffler. it was quiet all right but ugly. unlike the Scr that you are looking at, mine doesn't have spokes so I get to use tubeless, and I sure like the belt drive, nice and quiet and no mess from lube. Yamaha Star Bolt Motorcycle Forum - Index. this a link to the Bolt forum which might get you some real world feedback. i'm happy with mine and like the TW, after some changes, it will be a keeper, pm me If you need some help with any questions
    Last edited by grewen; 02-05-2017 at 11:32 AM.
    littletommy and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Sponosred Links