New bike choices
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: New bike choices

New bike choices

Well thinking I'm going to get myself a new machine this year to replace my cruiser as the long haul machine. I love my Victory but in a couple years I'm planin a trip to Bc to meet up with my brother and explore some off the beaten path areas and the cruiser though great at riding across would not be so great going down gravel and dirt paths.

So I have narrowed the choice to three bikes. The Honda Africa Twin, the 2016 Suzuki Vstrom 1000, and the FJ 09. The Africa twin and Vstrom would have to be lowered to accommodate my 30" inseam.

The Strom I'm concerned about as I previously owned a 07 650 Vstrom and it's one of the only bikes I never really loved. It was to me just a uninspiring machine with very weak suspension. BUt the 1000 Strom seems to be the best choice for all my needs. It's a comfy street bike that will work for the odd dirt road/path I desire.

The FJ09 I really like the sounds of but dread the complaints of the buzzy engine and it would be the least inspiring down the dirt roads. BUT it's likely the most entertaining on the street were I do 99% of the projected riding for this bike (my TW is the true dirt toy).

The Africa Twin is the tallest machine and most dirt focused and also the most expensive. But it's the bike I keep looking at. It also has the option of the DCT trans that could be awesome for accommodating the major limitations of my left leg as I have limited movement in my left ankle due to a past injury witch can make shifting difficult depending on my knee and hip angles. It's also just a super cool looking bike that sounds awesome and seems to work everywhere I could ask. BUT I'd feel a bit like a poser with it as I don't foresee doing much other than dirt roads and the odd every few year trips out with my Brother (who rides a Wee Strom and a TW for that matter).

So what bike to get. The Strom that's likely best option for all needs. The FJ09 witch will be best for 99% use and offers most road excitement and comes in cheaper and needs no mods. OR the Africa Twin witch looks the coolest and offers tech that would mean no issues with the limitations of my leg But is a bit of a poser cycle for my use?

Also the Honda can be had at a small local family run dealer that I have worked with before that are awesome. The Yamaha and Suzuki are from a larger multi line dealer I have little experience with.
    2017 Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT

2010 Yamaha TW200

2016 Polaris Sportsman 450 HO

2005 Yamaha Bruin 350 4x4

I was looking at the same bikes as you more or less, same in-seem etc. In the end I didn't want to let that limit me. I may need to get a lowering link but I got a 701 Enduro that i'm turning into an adventure bike. There's a thread on it here in other bikes. I'll post pics of the racks and bash bars i'm putting on in a few minutes.
    jtomelliott49 and Ken like this.
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

It seems that you have you mind made on one of these three, but if you're not fully intent on buying a bike too heavy for having fun while offroading and could possibly wait until next year maybe look at the T7 Tenere.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

They say the Strom is the best bang for the buck out there. To me, it's like riding a much more expensive BMW at a fraction of the cost, not to mention the cost of repairs, dependability, maintenance schedules, etc on the beemers...
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I test rode a Africa Twin with the DCT down in Texas last week...I was very impressed with the transmission and the thrust off the bottom. I did not rev it past the mid range since it was a new bike and will be someone's baby soon... I intend to buy one eventually but with the manual trans. I liked it alot!
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.

Keeping the TW too? Africa Twin!!!!!! I just think it's cooler than the other two.
    2002 TW200 "The Punisher"
    1998 DR350r
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

Why not a Wee like your brother?
    I am biased on this as I do enjoy mine and with the few mods I have made it works ok on gravel.
    littletommy, jtomelliott49 and Ken like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Of the three bikes you mentioned I would vote for the Africa Twin for the following reasons:
    1. Cool name!
    2. DCT will be great for all of us with left side, uh, shifting challenges.
    I love shifting and drive a manual car too, but the day will come when I will need to go clutchless...
    3. The styling is way ahead of either the Yammie or Suzi.
    4. Far more riders will give you a thumbs up on the AT.
    5. It is much easier to lower a bike with good suspension.
    6. Over time there will be more accessories available for the AT.
    7. It will retain a higher resale value.
    8. Etc.....

All of the above are just my opinion of course.
    I like the Suzi and Yammi too, but I don't like cast wheels...
    James

Attitude =

The difference between

Ordeal and Adventure

I love all the brands too, partial to Yamaha over time, but currenty have a Kawasaki, Yamaha and Suzuki in the garage. I have a Honda too, it's the only one not running and too expensive to fix (XR250). I do think the biggest influence for me would be the suspension is superior on the Honda by all accounts and it will likely retain the most value, buying all the bikes new and current model. Plus, if you have any deterioration in your ability to shift, the DCT is only available there.
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.
    2002 TW200 "The Punisher"
    1998 DR350r
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

For sure yes the TW is staying in the stable. It's hands down one of my favourite machines of any type I have owned.

As for why no Wee Strom well I have not completely eliminated it BUT I have owned a 2007 Wee that I never really fell in love with. Great bike but for me it just needed far too much in suspension and brakes and the engine though enuff for just about any riding I never found it exciting (and it's not just the power because I had a Honda CBF600 with very similar out put but was one of the best bikes I have owned). That being said there is supposedly much improvement in the new models so I have considered it but think I may still be better off looking to the bigger brother.

I went and sat on a Africa Twin today with the seat in the lower position I could reach both balls of my feet down so the heights actually not as bad as I thought. Love the ergonomics and the bike looks soo cool. BUT I just don't know if I like the DCT idea yet. And really don't think I could see using that bike to its true potential. I'd be Hard pressed to take a expensive machine off the beaten path too far let alone one that weighs 500lbs.

While at the dealer I did take a gander at the NC750X and the CB500X. Not a fan of either the C was not very comfy and not a fan of the under seat tiny fuel tank. And the CB is just tooo small for my um GIRTH lol.

Gaahhh such a tuff choice. I do really like the idea of all three bikes just all three play to different areas of my liking.
    2017 Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT

2010 Yamaha TW200

2016 Polaris Sportsman 450 HO

2005 Yamaha Bruin 350 4x4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links