Why not an XT250? - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: Why not an XT250?

major hijack, but... it had been a long time since i watched that chase. so many classic cars spotted in there i'd love to have! that also looks like a sawed off winchester model 97.

back to the xt250, i'm sure it's a great bike, though i prefer the look of the xt225.
    i'm happy with my tw, and with the ttr226 powerplant all the better.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

ive not ridden the xt250, but I have spent some time on the honda crf250l. Personally I think its a better bike for the money than the xt. they are very similar. I know this is a blue forum, but I have not ever owned anything blue or red that has let me down. I mst say that little crf is a fun bike, but being a fella of 5'8" I feel more stable on the tw and for slow trail riding I can manage better on the tw. If i steered away from the tw that crf would be in my garage.

on another note. lets get one thing straight........ truck pistons belong in a row not in a v. Cummins power all the way! Raptors are neat, but I dont like IFS on trucks and I dont think that truck would like 3000LBS of payload plus Im not sure what I would do with a little truck bed like that. I moved to a 9' bed and it was the best thing yet. Seriously most cars and trucks have a place. thats why theyre all around to be chosen from.
    93 tw. running like clockwork
    225 6 speed complete!
    82 honda gl500 silver wing. sold to a new home 11-24-17
    03 ducati monster 800sie. full rebuild and a danger to the public Hidden Content for sale

the big diff . for me is the drivabiley ,,,,, most bike are very demanding on the rider to keep them upright bush trials ..the tw i can just wander around the bush and dont to get drivein buy the bike......this may not make sence but might to a crippled....lol

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I used to own an XT-225 and I loved it. I wish I had never sold it, can't even remember now why I did. Now I have a TW and I'm loving it, too. But... if I had to rank the two bikes I'd have to put the XT-225 just a tiny bit above the TW. Loving the TW for now but don't be surprised if I wind up selling it and replacing it with an XT-250. As much as I love offroad riding, I still ride more on the road than off, and the XT is better suited for that. And... my old XT-225 never had any problems getting around offroad for me.
    "At the end of the game the King and the Pawn go into the same box."

Quote Originally Posted by Rockit View Post
    Been stuck at home with a cold for a few days so have been surfing a lot and looked up light weight dual sport motorcycles. The XT250 caught my eye. It seems to have many of the advantages as the TW200 such as sub-300lb weight, low cost, and low saddle. Beyond the TW, it has EFI (I know not everyone wants EFI), front/rear disc brakes, higher HP, and a higher capacity fuel tank. The advantage of the TW seems to be possible better behavior in sand and mud as well as better looks (the high front fender on the XT looks weird to me).

My questions is, why not an XT250 over our beloved TW200?

2015 - 2017 Yamaha XT250 | motorcycle review @ Top Speed

I bought my 2015 XT250 brand new, and have almost 8,000 miles on it now. If I'm honest, I'm having mixed feelings about it, at the moment, because I've been having a problem with the drive train. I'm afraid it is a design flaw of the bike, which cannot be properly fixed. I have become a bit bitter and angry about it. None of the things I've thought of, nor anything suggested by forum members, has been the culprit of the issue. I've reached the point where I'm just going to ride it...no other choice, really.

Anyway, aside from all that ^^... I have really liked the bike. It's definitely got a pretty noticeable advantage in power and highway capability, compared to the TW. You can put a 16 tooth front sprocket on it and cruise very comfortably at an actual 65 mph (as opposed to indicated) , literally all day long, with no issues, or go to a 14 tooth and have an easier time with most off road challenges (and still do 60 all day, albeit slightly less smoothly). The transmission, motor, and fuel injection have been absolutely brilliant - never skipping a beat. It does have a lot of ground clearance, especially considering that it's a budget dual sport (it has more than some dedicated dirt bikes). In spite of that, it still manages a 31 inch seat height. Do be aware that you'll have to clean the air filter VERY frequently if you frequently ride in dusty off road environments. If you don't clean the filter after a long, dusty ride, the motor's power output is significantly reduced. I've had it down to 10 horsepower after a single long off road ride, and once even had to pull over on the side of the road after railing sand dunes for a couple of hours, which left the entire filter absolutely completely and totally jam-packed with sand; it WOULD NOT do more than 35 mph, period. I just pull the filter, knock the dirt out, and vacuum out the air box, after every off road ride. It isn't technically necessary to do it nearly that much if you're riding wet dirt or rocks, or not riding super aggressively with tons of wheel spin. But if you are riding like that, then it really needs to be cleaned after every ride, or performance will suffer massively. The XT does have more suspension travel than the TW, but it is still a very budget suspension setup. Way too fast rebound on both ends, and way to soft compression on the front. It's like riding a pogo stick with wheels, but so is the TW...haha. If you need power to get up big ass hills or big sand dunes, skip the hell out of this bike. Otherwise, it's been awesome. I'm just trying to work out that nagging issue: hoping that I can sort it out well enough to basically just ignore it and just ride the bike...which should be possible.

As someone else mentioned, if you've got some money, you might consider other models, like the WRR or DRZ. If you don't have money...^^ Oh and I wouldn't do the CRFL because it's 30 pounds heavier, and because of the cam chain tensioner on it (prone to being a quality-uncontrolled POS).
    Last edited by kj7687; 02-14-2017 at 12:25 AM.
    Fred, JerseyJeeper, Rockit and 2 others like this.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

rbm
    KJ, check your rear wheel hub. I seem to remember a friend of mine was looking at XT's a while back and this was a reported weak link. The hub is soft and the spokes wear out the holes they are laced into.

Quote Originally Posted by kj7687 View Post
    Oh and I wouldn't do the CRFL because it's 30 pounds heavier, and because of the cam chain tensioner on it (prone to being a quality-uncontrolled POS).
    That's not specific to the CRF that is a problem on every Honda ever. Honda has never perfected that one piece of machinery and they fail quicker than anyone else's. A lot of people just get manual chain tensioners once they fail. Then you just have to remember to adjust it every now and again.

Quote Originally Posted by kj7687 View Post
    I bought my 2015 XT250 brand new, and have almost 8,000 miles on it now. If I'm honest, I'm having mixed feelings about it, at the moment, because I've been having a problem with the drive train. I'm afraid it is a design flaw of the bike, which cannot be properly fixed. I have become a bit bitter and angry about it. None of the things I've thought of, nor anything suggested by forum members, has been the culprit of the issue. I've reached the point where I'm just going to ride it...no other choice, really.

Anyway, aside from all that ^^..
    "I gots to know." What is the problem you're having with the drivetrain?
    kj7687 and jtomelliott49 like this.
    "At the end of the game the King and the Pawn go into the same box."

Quote Originally Posted by Shag67 View Post
    "I gots to know." What is the problem you're having with the drivetrain?
    I second that!
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

kj7687 and jtomelliott49 like this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponosred Links