XT 200 Manual
Close

Thread: XT 200 Manual

XT 200 Manual

New member here.
    Just bought a 1983 XT 200.
    Anyone know where I can download a Service Manual for free?
    I've had 19 bikes in the past 7 years and have always been able to download the manuals.
    This time, however, I have spent hours searching and so far have come up empty handed.
    Specifically wanting to adjust the valves and check valve timing.
    Thanks!

Thanks and a question

Quote Originally Posted by AGman View Post
    The XT200 manual is a bit allusive because it was never released in PDF format. You need a nut-job like me to sit down and scan an old manual! There are plenty of manuals for the AG200 on my site which are very close to the XT200, especially the engine. Geabox/primary ratios are a bit different but the rest of the engine is a similar layout.
    Thanks much. I downloaded the '83 Owner's Manual and used penciled in numbers to set my valve clearances.

Now the bike is starting and running good until it gets warmed up. Then the engine starts cutting in and out rapidly, as if someone were flicking the engine kill switch on and off.

Previous owner had carb rebuilt, replaced stator, replaced spark plug, replaced rectifier I think. All this to try to correct the cutting in and out. He finally gave up and sold the bike to me.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting?

I can recall somewhere (don't quote me here ) that the early XT200 had the same CDI unit as the early 6V AG200 and TW200. Guess what they all had problems with? Yep, the CDI.

Because your fault is thermally related it should be easy to isolate. A can of freeze spray can make things real easy! Wait for the fault to show up and then freeze the suspect component, in this case the CDI. Before doing this though you can physically tap or knock it to see if it reproduces the problem, the CDIs are renowned for getting broken joints internally which may respond to force applied to the case of the CDI unit.

Give it a try and see how it goes.
    Great suggestion. Seems like it's doing the cutting out with less and less warming up. When cutting out starts it is at mid-throttle and above. Then progresses to lower RPM, until it will only run at idle, then not at all. Previous owner replaced stator and ignition pulse triggers. Was leaking oil from left case. PO gave me new left case gasket and I installed it, stopping the oil leak. However, it seems odd to me there would be oil in the generator cavity. Is oil supposed to be in there?
    Thanks!
    Tim

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yep, it's a wet setup.
    That's a relief. Thanks!

Sponosred Links