TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

What's better for starting out?

5K views 30 replies 23 participants last post by  kj7687 
#1 · (Edited)
What would you guys recommend for a first bike? A TW200 or a KLR650? I'm asking because I'm looking for a bike and I'm not sure which one would be better. :confused:

Edit: I'm 5'10" tall and weigh about 160-170lbs.

#3 ·
Anything near one litre and you’ll be dead in a few weeks

Learn to ride first – ride what you want second

Given the two choices mentioned, I’d have to say some kind of trail bike (not some kind of trial bike – subtle difference)

Six months on a TW will teach you two years worth on a KLR650 – most pertinently, how to survive

When you’re ready, sell the TW and buy what you want – you have to earn it first ……

#4 ·
What would you guys recommend for a first bike? A TW200 or a KLR650? I'm asking because I'm looking for a bike and I'm not sure which one would be better. :confused:
What is the intended use for the bike? A brief answer for you without knowing your intended use; Commuter bike with speeds above 60 mph, get the KLR. Riding rural back roads at less than 55 mph and gravel/dirt/trails, get the TW. KLR can do this too but if you travel into single track or rough 2-track trails the KLR will be a handful.

#9 ·
The TW will be much more forgiving than the KLR during the learning process. I'd go with the TW.

#10 · (Edited)
In my opinion, the TW is super easy to ride, forgiving, low sear height, limited power. It is fun to cruise around on too, as long as you stay on roads with limits 50mph or lower. They are not safe on higher speed roads (again my opinion) as they leave little to no option for accelaration from 50 to whatever top speed your particular bike is capable of. Even gearing and light weight riders are not going to have enough power in reserve to be safe at 55+mph. Have fun, wear good gear, head on a swivel!

#11 ·
I have both.
My opinion is, depending on your current riding ability and especially if you are not tall, to go with the TW.
The TW is a bit more forgiving because of its size and power.
But because of that, I'd rule out any freeway runs with the stock or trail gearing. Others will chime in who have tried smaller rear sprockets and will talk about their highway use.

The KLR is freakishly high to me. Being 5'9" with a 30" inseam and 212lbs, I find the KLR to be a real pain in the ass to get on, especially with the Pelican cases. Whereas the TW can be mounted easily no matter the pannier situation. My Riding of the KLR has been very limited, but suffice to say the power to weigh ratio is better than the TW. Many people tour on the KLR, so it is freeway capable even when tour-loaded.

I wish you luck in whichever you choose and I highly recommend a Rider Safety Course no matter what your skill level.

#12 ·
Text Font

Now I know this has little to do with anything relevant, but why do people think being able to go faster is somehow safer? Since when does more speed equal more safe? You're just going to get to the scene of the accident faster. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like attention in reserve is more likely than power in reserve to get you away from a collision.

#18 ·
View attachment 94937

Now I know this has little to do with anything relevant, but why do people think being able to go faster is somehow safer? Since when does more speed equal more safe? You're just going to get to the scene of the accident faster. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like attention in reserve is more likely than power in reserve to get you away from a collision.
1. I have been in lot's of situations, especially on a busy freeway, where acceleration in front of, around or to get out of a blind spot was the safest option to get out of a bad spot. Surrounded by cars at 55mph, the TW is a liablity in any of those situations.
2. In and around metro areas, 55-60 on many roads and freeways is a recipe for disaster. If you can not keep up with traffic, you are much more likley to get into a bad situation, including getting rear ended by a vehicle, passing on the right because of other slow moving vehicles, slowing for the TW.

Again, depends on use, no doubt the TW is more forgiving in most ways, if you don't expect to ride on roads above 50-55mph.

One of the basic 300-500cc srteet bikes, welll maintained, is probably better than either, if some commuting or freeway running is something the rider wants to do. To each thier own, I know a lot of us ride occasionally on Freeways, but I don't and would not reccomend it to someone.

#13 · (Edited)
My Old Self's 2 Cents...and having been around Borneo's 650...

If you ride the boonies alone, get a TW....easier to lift and to crawl out from under...:p {KLR is 432 pounds} ...

The 650 is for longer leg riders...not for Hoot. I've had 900, 650, and 550, street bikes that fit my 29 inch inseam much better, while I have a long upper body, at 5' 10" my legs are short to the ground. The stock seat is 35in for the KLR while the TW is much more suited for easier handling and us with short legs...while the TW is no powerhouse, and might not be a long term fix...I'm thinking the KLR is not what you are looking for...maybe something in the Dual Sport 250-400 line...plenty of options from Honda, Suzuki, and Kawasaki, as well as Yamaha...

You probably need to find a dealer to let you do some "test rides"....

#15 ·
I've have both. TW is a far better beginners bike. KLR's are tall, heavy, and torquey. A little fumbling with the clutch or throttle and you will be on the ground. The latest generation of KLRs have to much body work on them for my taste. More to scratch or break in the event of a unintentional dis-mount. Get the TW and when you think your ready for something bigger, move up. But DON'T sell the TW. They are fun little bikes that can go just about anywhere.

#16 ·
my .02 ....

If you have never ridden in your life than the TW is your best bet for sure. Start off small and progress from there.

If you have prior experience on say dirt bikes you could go to a bigger bike if you are comfortable since you are not learning per-se

I agree with Smitty 100% about the rider safety class, take one.

#17 ·
I feel BOTH of these are poor choices. KLR is too tall for a beginner rider, TW is too slow (not good on the road...were you need to learn).

Truthfully, I'd start with an older (80s / 90s) Japanese 4cyl cruiser. 500 to 750cc Nighthawk, Secca, etc...

***But what do I now - I started on a 1983 Honda Nighthawk 550sc and had a Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300r the next summer - HAHAHA!

#19 ·
I'm 5ft9 and lowered my KLR a couple inches and it was still way TOO TOP HEAVY for me. I could certainly ride and enjoy it, but for stuff like moving it around in the garage or backing it out, I always feared dropping it. Esp with a full tank of fuel. It holds approx. 6 gallons, which translate to almost 40 pounds WAY UP HIGH. KLR might weigh less than 440 lbs, but honestly you'd feel much more stable on a 600 lb cruiser because all the weight is down low.

My first "real" motorcycle was a Honda Shadow 750, had a long stable wheelbase and ample but not too much power, I felt very secure and stable on that thing, even on windy days. Sold it and got a KLR and WOW!! Can you say "topheavy about to fall over?". Another thing, and mine was a 2009 which is about the same bike as new KLR's, the kickstand is too long unless you go max spring preload. Heck, even dropped it once because of that. Then I shortened the kickstand about an inch, made it all better.

Need to know the OP's height, that'd be my first determining factor between a TW and KLR.

#21 ·
The answer to this poster's question is super easy. TW every time. I know this is not everyone's answer, but I would bet the vast majority would say TW, every time. After all, we are the TW forum. lol

#22 ·
I'd go TW. Learn to ride on backroads and fire trails. Get good on the TW and you can transfer that experience to other larger bikes. You can get a TW with little invested. As someone else said....don't sell the Dub - it's a unique ride with little maintenance cost but lots of fun! I have a 850lb Victory bagger for long trips, love the Vic, but if I'm riding local the Dub is my first pick! I always find a trail to explore when out and about - not exploring trails on my Vic, that's for sure. 8^)

#25 ·
Tw was my first bike, I purchased it just under a year ago and have put approximately 1300 miles on it. Mostly local. I can't imagine something significantly better to learn on, but as said with stock gearing expect around a 55-60 top speed. I just changed to a rear 45 tooth sprocket which made that more like 70-75 but still it's not really an expressway companion. But then again, people tour on much smaller bikes.

#26 ·
wanted a KLR650 - friend who is into competitive cross country talked me out of it: Too heavy- especially on dirt roads/logging roads/cross country, fast on fwy, too demanding for a "green rider". It's OK if you want to cruise, he said. So I got a Zuma scooter and looked like a monkey on a grind stone. Folks laughed at me with my 6'2" and 230 lbs. Then I saw the TW and liked the fat tires. That was it, really. The fat tires! Bought it and never looked back. Still learning the proper clutch techniques and balance. A bit low to the ground for me with 35" inseam and 37" arms. Raised the handle bar by 2". Still a little low to stand up but that is OK. Being an "old fart" with a young heart I better sit down anyway or could get myself into serious trouble. Sorry, long story.
The short answer and my opinion: Get the TW for now and you should never regret it.
PS: Carried the scooter on the front of my ruck for camping - TW is the same weight and will go right on. Additional bonus in favor of TW. Still looking a bit like a monkey but now on a TW200!

#27 ·
The TW is a great starter bike, great mid bike and a great last bike. I bought my 99 around ten years ago put a couple thousand miles on it. In 2012 I added a NC700X for commuting duties and a long trips bike. I've put over 54,000 miles on the NC since I bought it.
I've commuted on the TW, but it required more time and awareness on the two lane 65 mph road. The TW isn't my first choice if you're going to be on fast roads for extend periods.

With that said, I have a 17 Y/O son that decided the wants to ride. He is 6'+/ 210# still growing, and the TW will give him the confidence without intimidating him. We may very well ad CRF250L's or DR650's later on, but the TW is staying.
I love riding a bike that will go through some nasty terrain that would scare the heck out of me on a tall 370-420 lb bike (DR650). Not to mention, when you ad a bigger bike, your old man can take the fun bike.

I'm betting my son will want a CRF250 or DR650 within six months. He won't have any problems man handling a taller/heavier bike. You may be in the same category.
Good luck!

#28 ·
Thanks for the anecdote on your NC's mileage! I wish more manufacturers would build bikes with weak motors like that (weak motors last forever). What good is a ton of power if it's going to blow up in five minutes? As for the CRF, I'd caution against it. They are known for occasional cam chain tensioner failures. Same with the KLX... In that class, I'd go with either the lighter, more powerful, better chassis/better suspended WR250R, or the 30 pounds lighter XT 250 (without tensioner problems).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.