Oil filter cover bolt hole-thread destroyed...advice and emotional support please LOL
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Oil filter cover bolt hole-thread destroyed...advice and emotional support please LOL

Unhappy Oil filter cover bolt hole-thread destroyed...advice and emotional support please LOL

So I didn't notice until I went to reinstall the long oil filter cover bolt back into my 2015 XT 250, that the threads in the hole (which is actually all the way in the case itself/not just the side cover... ) are completely destroyed. My hypothesis is that one of the times I slammed my bike down into the rocks hard, one of them hammered on that cover-bolt and in so doing bent/destroyed the threads to which it fastened.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll find out soon enough, but I'm wondering if just the other two filter cover bolts will be enough to keep the cover secured well enough to seal the oil in (there is an o-ring around the inside of the cover, of course...). I'm thinking it will probably still seal the oil, so I guess I'm planning on just using some epoxy putty to fill/seal the open bolt hole on the cover. Then I'll just hope the same thing doesn't happen to another one of the cover bolts, I guess... I could try to drill the hole out a little and put in some kind of bolt-sleeve, maybe. I don't really know what I'd be drilling into/how much metal there is in that area of the case/if I'd end up drilling through/damaging something else or whatever? Thoughts on that...??

Sigh, I guess I'm here to gloat more than anything. I had just finished fixing some things and putting a new front tire on and was about to finish the oil change, to then discover this BS! What a drag! I'm so aggravated by this.
    Last edited by kj7687; 06-06-2017 at 10:24 PM.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by kj7687 View Post
    So I didn't notice until I went to reinstall the long oil filter cover bolt back into my 2015 XT 250, that the threads in the hole (which is actually all the way in the case itself/not just the side cover... ) are completely destroyed. My hypothesis is that one of the times I slammed my bike down into the rocks hard, one of them hammered on that cover-bolt and in so doing bent/destroyed the threads to which it fastened.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll find out soon enough, but I'm wondering if just the other two filter cover bolts will be enough to keep the cover secured well enough to seal the oil in (there is an o-ring around the inside of the cover, of course...). I'm thinking it will probably still seal the oil, so I guess I'm planning on just using some epoxy putty to fill/seal the open bolt hole on the cover. Then I'll just hope the same thing doesn't happen to another one of the cover bolts, I guess... I could try to drill the hole out a little and put in some kind of bolt-sleeve, maybe. I don't really know what I'd be drilling into/how much metal there is in that area of the case/if I'd end up drilling through/damaging something else or whatever? Thoughts on that...??

Sigh, I guess I'm here to gloat more than anything. I had just finished fixing some things and putting a new front tire on and was about to finish the oil change, to then discover this BS! What a drag! I'm so aggravated by this.

I am not sure how much material "metal" you have all the way around the existing hole so any advice is conjecture at best. My best guess is that it is time for you to find the smallest possible bolt that is still larger than the previous one and tap that hole out to match it. I am fairly certain that you will leak substantial amounts of oil from the cover with only two bolts though. Very sorry that this has happened to you. Are you positive the case threads are fouled? On the TW the bolt threads typically give way before the case threads.

Tom
    jtstdub likes this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

You need a new bike.
    cowboyjeff likes this.
    Phelonius

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Heli-coil to repair the threads. Probably will have to remove the case cover to get to the damaged threads and do a proper job. Or, just try it with the 2 bolts holding it on. If it was my bike, I would fix it. If you've never used Heli coils, practice on some scrap aluminum first to get the technique down. Helicoil
    cowboyjeff likes this.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

You need to fix those threads. Two will not suffice long term. I wouldn't trust it unless I didn't mind leaking oil or walking back to the truck or house.

Take a close look at the messed up threads. Is any material or threads left deeper in the hole? Can it be drilled and tapped deeper? If not either proceed with an insert or helicoil but both require drilling a much larger hole.

Drilling it just up one size, and don't forget to check to see if an english tread would require a smaller hole, and then tapping for a bigger screw would be a good way to go.
    For example if it's a 6mm screw, then you could drill for a 1/4"-20 or 1/4"-28 and tap for either. Both are smaller than 7mm. There probably isn't anything left to drill at that size so It might be better to just go up to a 7mm screw, if there's material to do that.
    Last edited by socalnative; 06-07-2017 at 10:11 AM.
    cowboyjeff likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by socalnative View Post
    If not either proceed with an insert or helicoil but both require drilling a much larger hole.
    Drill size for a M6 x 1.0 Heli coil insert is 6.2mm (.244") not that much larger. But Heli coils do require a fair amount of finesse to get them done right. I'm fortunate, I've got almost any size Heli coil kit available at work. To bad KJ is on the other side of the country, I'd be more than happy to help him out. Maybe heis local chop could help out, but that would probably be a long shot.
    cowboyjeff and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

I would not leave the bolt out, that's an oil leak waiting to happen. Not so sure I like the idea of converting it to SAE either with everything else being metric, not sure I would want one oddball bolt on my motor.

I would start by taking the side cover off and having a look at the current hole in the case, its possible it may be able to be saved by chasing it with the proper tap and replacing the bole with a new factory one.

If that fails a heli coil is the best option. There should be plenty of material there for it. I have used them on a stripped cover hole on the case and on the valve cover hole in the head of my girlfrends TW that the prior owner stripped out.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

I don't know how much material there would be for a Helicoil. If it was mine I would try a longer bolt and if there is enough thread I would get a long 6mm stud , clean out the hole with brake clean and screw the stud to the bottom of the hole with a liberal coating of Locktite 262 then just use a nut to hold the cover on. If that does not work and there is not enough material for a helicoil I would drill and tap the hole to 7mm or 1/4" then have a machine shop make you a custom stud with a 7mm thread where it goes into the block and a 6mm stud for the rest. The 7mm thread will be locked once you put the clutch cover back on but use some Locktite anyways.

Hey everyone. Thanks for the responses. I "fixed it"... Basically there is some room in just engine cover to drill (without going through it into the case), so I just drilled a ~1/4 inch deep recession into the engine cover, then filled the recession with some Quicksteel Epoxy Putty, then used a mallet to tap a nut (with some of the outer diameter taken off on my grinder) into the recession/putty. I let it cure and now a bolt screws into the nut and holds that part of the oil filter cover on. It's a little ghetto, but I think it will hold up. The nice thing is that it will be easy to fix again in the same manner if for some reason it doesn't hold up. Also, I can always replace the engine cover (which I drilled into...) easily enough, if it ever becomes an issue. I've had good experience with this putty in various past uses (including high engine heat). In addition to the putty, the nut i put into the recession was essentially press-fit, so that will help hold it in place, too. The bolt is only tightened quite lightly, so not much force is exerted on the nut. So far the bolt tightened up and is holding fine, and it isn't leaking any oil...

There were some great ideas, and even though I was a bit impatient (always in a hurry these days) and did it my own shoddy ass way (before reading most of this thread), I do appreciate the responses/ideas. Thanks!
    Last edited by kj7687; 06-07-2017 at 10:39 PM.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by kj7687 View Post
    Hey everyone. Thanks for the responses. I "fixed it"... Basically there is some room in just engine cover to drill (without going through it into the case), so I just drilled a ~1/4 inch deep recession into the engine cover, then filled the recession with some Quicksteel Epoxy Putty, then used a mallet to tap a nut (with some of the outer diameter taken off on my grinder) into the recession/putty. I let it cure and now a bolt screws into the nut and holds that part of the oil filter cover on. It's a little ghetto, but I think it will hold up. The nice thing is that it will be easy to fix again in the same manner if for some reason it doesn't hold up. Also, I can always replace the engine cover (which I drilled into...) easily enough, if it ever becomes an issue. I've had good experience with this putty in various past uses (including high engine heat). In addition to the putty, the nut i put into the recession was essentially press-fit, so that will help hold it in place, too. The bolt is only tightened quite lightly, so not much force is exerted on the nut. So far the bolt tightened up and is holding fine, and it isn't leaking any oil...

There were some great ideas, and even though I was a bit impatient (always in a hurry these days) and did it my own shoddy ass way (before reading most of this thread), I do appreciate the responses/ideas. Thanks!
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but im not so sure that that is a "fix" at all. That long bolt does more than just hold on the oil filter cover. It also holds the engine case cover on which needs to have the proper torque on it on all bolts so the oil galley's that lead to and from the oil filter stay sealed. If you look at the picture below the bolt hole circled in red is where the long oil filter bolt ultimately goes to hold the side cover to the case. There is plenty of room for a heli coil to fix this right. the oil galley is marked in blue, that leads to and from the side cover where the filter is. if that mating surface were to leak you could end up with oil pressure and delivery issues. I think we all know what happens to these motors when there is not enough oil delivered to the head and i dont think you want to risk that happening to you.

cowboyjeff, Peterb, Mel and 1 others like this.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links