• 6 Post By Badgerflorida
  • 2 Post By CS1983
  • 4 Post By stagewex
  • 3 Post By Xracer
  • 4 Post By admiral
  • 4 Post By CS1983

Thread: Coleman CT200U Minibike?

Coleman CT200U Minibike?

What are y'all's thoughts on the Coleman CT200U minibikes?

I've toyed around with the idea of getting one, but since they are not street legal I wouldn't get too much use out of one.

Piece of junk? If not, do they store well? Easily transported in a minivan?

Thanks
    Bobo413 and Badgerflorida like this.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

"I thought the slowest bike i have ever owned was going to kill me." - Hidden Content

The John Birch Society is too Liberal.

I saw a video where a couple guys took them camping & abused the heck out of them . They went through several clutches, but held up surprisingly well.
    I too have kicked around the thought of a minibike & agree the road legal thing came into play. If I decide to go that route I think I'll go with a old Tote Goat or Tule Trooper.
    That way I can tinker & restore the little thing & get some enjoyment / frustration when I'm not riding it .
    Badgerflorida and littletommy like this.
    2005 Yamaha TW200
    2003 Kawasaki KLR650
    1995 BMW R100GSPD Classic
    1983 Honda CT110
    1984 Honda CT110

I recommend watching this first. I like this show from MotorTrend called Dirt Every Day. These guys have a lot of fun and they are very entertaining, but this just looks like more pain than fun. Still a good watch. I'm kinda hooked on watching these guys do stupid stuff.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerflorida View Post
    I recommend watching this first. I like this show from MotorTrend called Dirt Every Day. These guys have a lot of fun and they are very entertaining, but this just looks like more pain than fun. Still a good watch. I'm kinda hooked on watching these guys do stupid stuff.

That was hilarious. It was like Car Talk, but instead of two guys from Jersey, they're (apparently?) from Arizona doing their best to outdo Lloyd and Harry.
    "You've had two pairs of gloves this entire time!?"
    "well yeah, we are in the Rocky Mountains!"
    littletommy and Badgerflorida like this.

"I thought the slowest bike i have ever owned was going to kill me." - Hidden Content

About a week before an annual camping trip last month I ordered one via Amazon. At the last minute I realized I had ordered the 3.5HP instead of the bigger engine. It was a last minute purchase so I canceled the order and looked around my area for a used one instead. I found that almost all of the ones being offered through the classifieds and/or craigslist either didn't work/run or suffered some sort of mechanical calamity and had been repaired. Obviously disappointed me but kinda glad I cancelled the order after all.
    If you read the Amazon reviews they are either glowing or horror stories... nothing in the middle which is kinda odd in the first place.
    One common complaint is that they usually arrive damaged from shipping (even un-assembled in the box) so if you are going to order one it might be better buying from an actual store like Tractor Supply. They sell them off the floor. At least it's someplace you can bring it back to if you have trouble. If you do accept it through the mail/FedEx/UPS/etc. once you put fluids like oil and gas into it is very difficult to ship back at all even if you drain the fluids.

There are other mini-bikes out there... some in kit form. The better ones happen to be the older Rupps, Heathkit, Manco's that similar to '60's, '70's and '80's motorcycles, are rising in prices as the market grows. An unrestored Honda Mini-Trail in good shape or even an over-the-top restored one can cost you the same or even more than a brand-new TW. Buying one that needs work if you are handy is the way to go. My friend has a Manco "Big Cat" that I've been trying to buy from him for years.
    Still may buy a Coleman myself in the future... they sure look cool in all the staged video's. But want to go into it with realistic expectations.
    I'd suggest you only read the "Con's" reviews because just the image of the Coleman itself sometimes may be the reason to buy one. Very cool looking.

ace11ad0-3a37-4da9-b447-e1ca5114239a_1.9f7a9fe6d65c86298323e07bb2a204a5.jpeg

Now that I think of it the Coleman may have influenced my recent front-rack purchase.
    IMG_0392.JPG

As long as you don't mind having your teeth shaken out get one and a tube of Locktite.

Quote Originally Posted by stagewex View Post
    Amazon. At the last minute I realized I had ordered the 3.5HP instead of the bigger engine.

ace11ad0-3a37-4da9-b447-e1ca5114239a_1.9f7a9fe6d65c86298323e07bb2a204a5.jpeg

When I looked on Amazon, the bigger one I saw is 196cc just like our TW's. Then I saw the HP...6.5! ...and here we though the TW's 196cc 13 is HP was low.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Saw one video where a guy did speed tracking via GPS. He was able to run a consistent 36mph in stock form. TW still has more top end speed, but as I understand it, the low gearing of these things makes them take hills without issue.

Sponosred Links