New XT250 vs Well-Maintained xt350
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: New XT250 vs Well-Maintained xt350

New XT250 vs Well-Maintained xt350

I'm thinking about getting another xt350, though the xt250 is certainly an attractive package...

However, I just dunno about the fanciness of the xt250. I know that EFI is nice... but what happens when it goes -- and should I expect it to last fairly long, or is it too new to tell? I can always have an extra carb rebuild kit on hand for the 350, but I'd probably be pretty screwed if EFI died, right?

Also, digital instrument panels do not fill me with confidence. Again, I can replace cables, bulbs, etc. on an old, analog style instrument panel. If the digi panel goes out, it seems very much like it would be in the replacement category, rather than fixing it.

I wonder wondering what this forum's thoughts are on old/reliable vs new in regards to a well-maintained xt350 vs the new xt250.

Also, does anyone know if the xt250 can have a kickstarter added like our trusty tdubs?

Thanks!
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

"I thought the slowest bike i have ever owned was going to kill me." - Hidden Content

The John Birch Society is too Liberal.

To answer your question with another question. When is the last time the fuel injection "went out" on your car? And that's a much more complex system than most any bikes at the moment.

My point being is people tend to worry mostly unessasarily about tech. Truth be told if something does fail it likely to be either a rubber threw wire (easy fix) or a gummed up injector (easy fix) or a bad fuel pump (easy to diagnose and fix). All easily fixed and easy enuff to diagnose.

I have had ALOT of cars and bikes both of the carbureted and fuel injected varieties. The ONLY ones I have ever had fueling issues with have had carbs. And yes they were easy enuff to fix but still required removal of a carb and carful disassembly and reassembly witch is far more labour intensive than replacing an injector or checking a few wires.

Keep in mind fuel injection has been around for over 100 years and electronic fuel injection has been around over 60 years it's not something new and scary anymore.
    2017 Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT

2010 Yamaha TW200

2016 Polaris Sportsman 450 HO

2005 Yamaha Bruin 350 4x4

On Yamaha's, I only remember hearing of EFI issues on the pre and maybe up to 2008 model years WR250R's. Maybe a search of a newer (EFI) XT250 Forum may have some known faults listed for the XT250.

I do occasionally hear of problems on some other makes/models of motorcycles with some EFI issues (the e-pumps I think) on the bigger KTM's and BMW's.

Still, I'm in Tinybear's boat and you don't really hear of too many problems with EFI. Heck, you read a lot more about people running out of gas or an engine failure than you do of fuel issues though they do exist.

I'm probably thinking of someone else but didn't you have an XT350? If not I apologize. Is XT350's kick start only? If they are that would be a big deal for me if the bike is taller. I have a hitch in my hip and it's hard for me to get my leg up high enough to kick start a taller bike. The TW kick start lever is at my upper limit. I am hoping some of the XT350's had the e-button. I think an XT350 would be a good intermediate sized dual sport bike, with an emphasis on "Dual Sport".
    CS1983 and jtomelliott49 like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The WR250r came out in 2008 and it had a fuel pump that would fail in extreme heat, I think it was a vacuum lock. That was recalled and all 2008 model were given a new fuel pump. The XT350 is not a good bush bike. It is fine for FSRs. I had a 86 or 87 model and found the WR250r a much better ride. The XT250 is good on the highway up to 60 mph and then becomes very buzzy and does not have the power to maintain speed on steeper grades. A fellow dual sport member I ride with had one. If you are looking at doing more trail riding, I would go with the 250.

Sent from my T06 using Tapatalk
    jtomelliott49, CS1983 and admiral like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    On Yamaha's, I only remember hearing of EFI issues on the pre and maybe up to 2008 model years WR250R's. Maybe a search of a newer (EFI) XT250 Forum may have some known faults listed for the XT250.

I do occasionally hear of problems on some other makes/models of motorcycles with some EFI issues (the e-pumps I think) on the bigger KTM's and BMW's.

Still, I'm in Tinybear's boat and you don't really hear of too many problems with EFI. Heck, you read a lot more about people running out of gas or an engine failure than you do of fuel issues though they do exist.

I'm probably thinking of someone else but didn't you have an XT350? If not I apologize. Is XT350's kick start only? If they are that would be a big deal for me if the bike is taller. I have a hitch in my hip and it's hard for me to get my leg up high enough to kick start a taller bike. The TW kick start lever is at my upper limit. I am hoping some of the XT350's had the e-button. I think an XT350 would be a good intermediate sized dual sport bike, with an emphasis on "Dual Sport".
    I did have an xt350. Sold in order to finance some home upgrades that we ended up deciding not to go with AFTER I sold it.

The one I had was a 99 and was kick only. Not sure when/if they came with both start/kick. It was at the upper limit of my comfort for seat height.

My only problem w/ the xt250, if EFI isn't a concern, is it looks like it isn't able to be upgraded to kickstart. Has the "cutout" in the case for it, but looks like it's not a plug like the tw200 is. Perhaps I'm a luddite, but I'm a bit bitter at Yamaha for removing this ability like on the old 250's.
    jtomelliott49 and admiral like this.

"I thought the slowest bike i have ever owned was going to kill me." - Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by CS1983 View Post
    I did have an xt350. Sold in order to finance some home upgrades that we ended up deciding not to go with AFTER I sold it.

The one I had was a 99 and was kick only. Not sure when/if they came with both start/kick. It was at the upper limit of my comfort for seat height.

My only problem w/ the xt250, if EFI isn't a concern, is it looks like it isn't able to be upgraded to kickstart. Has the "cutout" in the case for it, but looks like it's not a plug like the tw200 is. Perhaps I'm a luddite, but I'm a bit bitter at Yamaha for removing this ability like on the old 250's.

"I did have an xt350. ...deciding not to go with AFTER I sold it."

D'oh, that will leave a mark haha!

I'm not entirely sure but I think TW-Brian had to machine (cut out the hole) when he used a newer XT or TT case for a 225 conversion for adding the kick starter. If it's not him he might remember who it was. So, there is a maybe on an XT250 if the XT cases are similar.
    jtomelliott49 and CS1983 like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

XT 350s are starting to get a bit long in the tooth. A few parts are scarce already. Depending on the year, the YDIS boots are very rare and those around will be deteriorating too. Other internals will start to be scarce too. I loved my XT350, but the suspension was borderline and the rear tire choices limited too. I never had them side by side, but I bet the 250 has about the same power or at least power to weight ratio. I would take the 250, but that's just my opinion
    CS1983 likes this.
    2002 TW200 "The Punisher"
    1998 DR350r
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

Can't help with the xt350, except I nearly bought one a few years ago, until I realized I needed a ladder to get aboard.

I have only good things to say about my '14 xt250. Put 2,500 miles on it this year.

There's a woman on AdvRider that has 24,000+ trouble free miles on her xt250.

If you are concerned about fuel injection, the '08 to '11 xt'250s have carbs.

jb
    CS1983 likes this.
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Thank you for the replies so far, guys. I'm now leaning towards saving my pennies to get an XT250. Really like 2018's color scheme.
    ejfranz likes this.

And... I think I have settled my head on an xt250... (my heart still wants a 350 lol).

These two videos sealed the deal:

My plan would be to keep the xt250 pretty much stock. Probably will add a tank bag and some sort of rack, and tusk dflex. Outside of that, I'd pretty much lose too much money if I ever sold it to justify heavier modification.

That would then relegate my tw200 into my tinker/mod bike.

Only difference between Victoria's bike and what I would get is mine would have EFI. I HOPE that aspect lasts as well as a carb.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links