'17 Honda Goldwing, Anybody Have One?
Close

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By vanillagorilla1
  • 1 Post By Chip
  • 1 Post By GaryL
  • 2 Post By Flieger
  • 2 Post By DonBenito

Thread: '17 Honda Goldwing, Anybody Have One?

'17 Honda Goldwing, Anybody Have One?

Casually thinking about selling my RoadStar and upgrading to a '17 Goldwing. Anybody have any experience with the latest Goldwings? My wife and I sat on one at the dealership and she immediately liked the passenger seating position and comfort. It has all the latest gadgets, some I'd use, others, not so much. I owned an older 1200 Goldwing awhile back and regret getting rid of it, but $25,000+ is a lot of $.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

I have almost no first hand experience to offer you, but I have a friend with a 15 f6b that ive ridden a bit, and i wouldnt hesitate to ride that thing across the country. That new version of the flat 6 is something else. the position even on his bike is excellent and I can imagine the full blown goldwing is even better. I hope you find the advice youre looking for. good luck
    scotti158 likes this.
    93 tw. running like clockwork
    225 6 speed complete!
    82 honda gl500 silver wing. sold to a new home 11-24-17
    03 ducati monster 800sie. full rebuild and a danger to the public Hidden Content for sale

We owned a couple 1800's, 03 and a 04. They are great bikes for road cruising. But after a while I lost interest. To big and heavy for having fun in the corners. Plus the wife got bored and would fall asleep on the back. I moved onto more sport type bikes. For just running down the highway I'd rather have a Mustang convertible.

Like you said the prices have gotten totally out of hand, just like new trucks. Both mine I purchased new for around 12K. Look around for a good used one and save some cash. Saw a like new 04 for sale with only 30k for miles for $7500 a week ago on Craigslist. Deals are out there if you look. 25K for a new one is a fricken joke.
    scotti158 likes this.
    2014 NC700X
    2005 ST-1300
    Wanted TW450

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have not laid eyes on a 2017 GW yet but from past experience my biased opinion is they are the Cadillac of road cruisers in every respect. They are big, heavy, smooth and powerful but ride so smooth and are made to be pretty much bulletproof. They are not the bike I would chose for taking an evening ride with your bride right around your general area but absolutely the one I would want on a long road trip. HD be damned and they can keep their rattletrap, loud mouthed vibrators. The wing rides smooth as silk and the driver and passenger seating positions are about as sweet as you can get with the air flow going right over the tops of both of you.
    Take the wife out for a test ride before you decide to drop the bucks but you won't be sorry if you do.

GaryL
    scotti158 likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I haven't ridden the latest model of Goldwing, but I do have a 2008 with all the bells and whistles but the airbag. I've ridden wings since 1989 and that was a 1984 gl1200. The newer wings are a blast, and super comfortable, for the long haul. Last year I decided I needed to go to the Waffle House for breakfast. The only problem with that was the nearest one was in either Denver or Phoenix. Beings as I live north of Seattle it wasn't just around the corner. Still didn't stop me from hopping on it and going for a ride to Denver. In our house the bike is referred as the "road sofa". Great ride for trips, but for just blasting around town I still find that I hop on the TW. The wing has great torque and I don't ever have to worry about having the power to pass some slow poke while going down the road.

A friend of mine had the first year of the latest remodel and rode the heck out of it year round. Had nothing bad to say about it, just always had his heart set on an Indian so the wing went. He was really impressed with the storage since they had redesigned the saddlebags.
    scotti158 and littletommy like this.

The GL1800 has had a lot of nice refinements over it's long model run, but at its core it's still a pretty old-fashioned machine considering its price point.

The interwebs has been rumbling with rumors that Honda's latest cryptic teaser video is the first volley in a launch campaign for the GL1800's successor, note the F6B and old GL1000 (I think?) featured prominently. Perhaps Yamaha's new Venture has finally prodded Honda to update their flagship tourer. It might be worth waiting to see what they have up their sleeve.

https://powersports.honda.com/beyond.aspx

My wife and I love long haul touring and so naturally the 'wing has been on my short list for awhile, but we also love camping off the bike and a 1200 class ADV bike with big panniers has way more luggage capacity than a GL1800.
    littletommy and scotti158 like this.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Sponosred Links