The XT200 Files - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree236Likes

Thread: The XT200 Files

Just found this thread. Glad you are making progress on the bike and getting to ride it some.
    Sorry about the bird seed. I didn't know it was there, but now that I think about it, it did have a funny burning smell one time I started it up.
    Good luck on the rest of it and keep us updated.

I've been forking around on the XT to get it street and trail worthy.

Replaced the leaking fork seals.

Old seal with the retainer clip and dust cover removed. (XT doesn't have dust boots but I'm gonna put some on later).

The XT spring is longer than the stock TW spring I took out and replaced with a Procycle spring on my TW.

Here's a picture (left) of the Procycle spring I put in the TW. The XT spring looks different at each end. Progressive spring maybe? Doesn't matter to me cause I'm putting the XT spring back in anyway.

Was able to use my homemade damper rod holder I used on the TW. Score!

Damper rod holder doubled as a fork cap screw tool as well. Double arm pump!

Removed some of the surface rust on the fork where it's secured in the lower triple tree

Time for a test now.
    Last edited by admiral; 10-17-2017 at 11:21 AM.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

XT200 Quality Control (QC) test out at the Back 40 Proving Grounds.

After replacing the leaking fork seals, rear tire (to a trials type tire), and re-jetting the carb for the umpteenth time, I took the XT out for it's longest ride since I've owned it. I finally got the carb real close to where it needs to be I think. The engine pulled real good up the dirt and sand hills. Didn't stall once. I also went up through the gears with no noticeable carb hiccup. I think it's ready for an all-day test now!

Last edited by admiral; 10-17-2017 at 11:49 AM.
    Mel, littletommy, Tweaker and 5 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Sounding pretty good too!!
    Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    XT200 Quality Control (QC) test out at the Back 40 Proving Grounds.

After replacing the leaking fork seals, rear tire (to a trials type tire), and re-jetting the carb for the umpteenth time, I took the XT out for it's longest ride since I've owned it. I finally got the carb real close to where it needs to be I think. The engine pulled real good up the dirt and sand hills. Didn't stall once. I also went up through the gears with no noticeable carb hiccup. I think it's ready for an all-day test now!

admiral, Tweaker, Ken and 1 others like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Sounding pretty good too!!
    Because of the XT's age and aftermarket exhaust, getting the jetting right has been a test of patience as only the process of re-jetting is the same as TW's. Elime has given me a lot of advice and all the jets, which I really appreciate.

Up until today, I had settled with a 40 pilot (stock) and 110 main (stock is 124) but after the last ride, (several rides after my last video going up the sand hills) it didn't sound quite right. So, yesterday I changed to a 108 main. No hesitation what-so-ever. I'll still keep an eye on the plug after each ride to make sure I'm not going to lean but thus far there haven't been any lean signs or symptoms.

Two Track'in After Work in the Back 40

(All characters and events in this video, even those based on real people are entirely fictional. All inner voices are in your head and impersonated by you...poorly. The following video contains coarse language and due to its content, it should not be viewed by anyone, especially at work. Doing so, you may become violently ill which will cause you to leave work early and want to go home and ride. Wink Wink!

Just imagine yourself on an after work ride through the woods. You're gonna have to imagine it because there ain't no woods in the Back 40.

Well, there is woods if you take into consideration the wooden fence posts and electrical power poles in the background.

Gotta watch out for the badger holes on the Two-Track. Gotta watch out for cow patties on the single track. Well, cow single track that is!

As Paul Harvey would say, "and that's the rest of the story...good day"!
    grewen, littletommy and Ken like this.

way to go...motor sounds good. how did the new back tire work out for you in the sand? was there any difference in front shock performance after your clean up and reseal?
    littletommy likes this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Quote Originally Posted by grewen View Post
    way to go...motor sounds good. how did the new back tire work out for you in the sand? was there any difference in front shock performance after your clean up and reseal?

Back tire is great compared to the old worn out knobby. I can actually use the rear brake now as before it would just slide on dirt or gravel surface. I didn't ride in the sand with the old tire, or at least not deeper sand like the sand hills. I thought it did fine in the sand, not just the tire but the XT as a whole. Someday I may take it out to the Weiser Sand Dunes along the Snake River and try it in the sand out there. Then I will be able to compare how it does in deep sand versus the TW for my riding style.

My thought is the TW will do better but maybe skinny tires work better. I don't have personal experience riding in deep sand with a skinny tire bike, just the TW so the jury is out on that matter. We keep hearing people say the TW should do better on sand than a skinny tire bike but this may just be wishful thinking theory. Eckhart should know for sure since he's ridden the TW and other skinny tire bikes at Moab and the Sand Dunes on the Oregon coast. Eckhart, can you tell us?

One fork was almost completely empty of fork oil and the other had more but I didn't measure the old stuff. Replacing the seals and oil stiffened the front suspension like it's supposed to be. The springs are different than the TW but I won't really know if they will bottom out like the stock TW springs did unless I go to Moab or a place like that. Moab was the only place I'd been where bottoming out on the big drop off's was common until I beefed up the suspension.

Now that the front is fixed, the rear suspension feels weak. Think spring like you mentioned on the newer XT250 you have. This winter I'm gonna remove the XT shock/spring and see if either an old stock TW shock I have (was replaced by procycle stiffer shock) or if the stock TW shock/spring will work/fit on the XT. For now, the front feels great but the back seems squashed down all the time, as yes, I'm sure "I" have something to do with the squashedness haha!

I did a fuel mileage test with the XT last week when I had the 110 main jet still in and it was 50 mpg. Our TW's get mid 60 mpg when I'm riding mostly highway and 70-80 mpg on trails/forest service road so fuel mileage is a concern. XT has 2.1-gallon stock tank versus 1.8 or 1.9 for the stock TW gas tank. I'm gonna see if the XT225 Serow gas tank at 2.3 gallons will fit on the XT200. If it does it's not the slightly larger tank but that I can fit a tank bag on it, the ones which hang over. The XT tank is too small in size for the tank bags I have. The reason is I have carried extra fuel in a 1-liter bottle for spare just in case. I don't want to put a cycle rack type rack on just to carry extra fuel if the fuel mileage doesn't improve but am looking to see if I can fabricate a small rack on the back for the fuel.

I'm hoping my fuel mileage increases with the 108 main jet I put in yesterday. Engine ran better so I hope so. There must be a big difference in how mileage is with the old XT carb versus any of the TW carbs. We know with either of the TW carbs the TW would get good fuel mileage with a properly tuned TW. I should try and find out what the mileage was estimated at for a new XT200 back in the day.

Dude — your workshop is showing a tendency towards pink, which is kinda worrying

It starts with rattle cans, then creeps onto hammers (shudder), until you find yourself with an XT200 — with a pink seat ?

Now don’t get me wrong, the XT200 is a good project bike, and I certainly wouldn’t want to get in the way of one of Lori’s “throat punches” — but have you ever considered the traumatic effect all this “pink” is having on others ? — It’s getting so we need sunglasses …..

In my opinion, one of the most underrated colours is purple (funnily enough) — all it takes is “Hunny, I honestly thought it was pink paint” to give “someone” a chance to acclimatise to it. You can also use the “Cadbury” excuse — “But Hunny, I thought you liked chocolate” — ease her into it slowly, there are many shades of purple, so you may want to start out gently

I fully understand the need for a full face helmet (and probably body armour) during this transition period, but it’ll be worth it in the end

She’s reading this isn’t she clipart-of-a-happy-moon-mascot-cartoon-character-peeking-over-a-surface-by-toons4biz-171.jpg

I’m going to hide for a while ……
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Dude — your workshop is showing a tendency towards pink, which is kinda worrying

It starts with rattle cans, then creeps onto hammers (shudder), until you find yourself with an XT200 — with a pink seat ?

Now don’t get me wrong, the XT200 is a good project bike, and I certainly wouldn’t want to get in the way of one of Lori’s “throat punches” — but have you ever considered the traumatic effect all this “pink” is having on others ? — It’s getting so we need sunglasses …..

In my opinion, one of the most underrated colours is purple (funnily enough) — all it takes is “Hunny, I honestly thought it was pink paint” to give “someone” a chance to acclimatise to it. You can also use the “Cadbury” excuse — “But Hunny, I thought you liked chocolate” — ease her into it slowly, there are many shades of purple, so you may want to start out gently

I fully understand the need for a full face helmet (and probably body armour) during this transition period, but it’ll be worth it in the end

She’s reading this isn’t she clipart-of-a-happy-moon-mascot-cartoon-character-peeking-over-a-surface-by-toons4biz-171.jpg

I’m going to hide for a while ……

Yes, she reads this. It might take her a while cause she's at Throat Punch Sniper School so you're safe for now. Nevermind, no you're not.

I'm sure the XT seat started out Purple before it faded to Pink fpalm.gif

...and after all the XT is for the girls. That's why I'm gonna paint it Tan or Brown with a black seat.
    Muttley (163x160).jpg
    ejfranz and littletommy like this.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links