The XT200 Files - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree240Likes

Thread: The XT200 Files

In sand, you want a rear tire that can hook up and give lift to the front end. The trials tire in deep dry sand is going to sink. As a teenager, living in the dry Okanagan valley in BC, with a TY250, I switched the trials tire out for a knobby .The MT43 I had on the DT200 while in Moab this fall worked well as the sand was wet, but when the sand started drying out the back end began to wander. The tire to get for the area you ride in Kris, would be the Motoz Tractionator Desert H/T.
    Tractionator.jpg
    The cupped centre knob provides outstanding sand traction. I had this tire on the WR the first time I was at Moab and then on the Oregon dunes.
    admiral, Ken and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Quote Originally Posted by ejfranz View Post
    In sand, you want a rear tire that can hook up and give lift to the front end. The trials tire in deep dry sand is going to sink. As a teenager, living in the dry Okanagan valley in BC, with a TY250, I switched the trials tire out for a knobby .The MT43 I had on the DT200 while in Moab this fall worked well as the sand was wet, but when the sand started drying out the back end began to wander. The tire to get for the area you ride in Kris, would be the Motoz Tractionator Desert H/T.
    Tractionator.jpg
    The cupped centre knob provides outstanding sand traction. I had this tire on the WR the first time I was at Moab and then on the Oregon dunes.

Makes more sense to have a tread like this in the sand for sure.

Review per: https://adventuremotorcycle.com/gear...-desert-review
    A 21/18 combo was selected for our CRF250L Rally Replica. The front was easy to install, while the thicker rear took a bit of patience and some muscle. Since these are DOT tires, we thought we’d test them on the road first, and as expected they caused lots of vibration and noise. On the highway, the whirring of the tires was so loud it drowned out the sound of the CRF’s engine. The bike felt squirrely during cornering, whether it be an off-ramp or at inner city stoplights. In the wet our 250L felt even more unstable.

Trail terrain on the east coast is often rocky, with lots of changing elevation. The Tractionator Desert HTs exceled off road, especially during technical, root infested hill climbs. Our heavy CRF, which used to feel like a street based dual-sport, now feels more like a proper trail bike. The 250L doesn’t put out a lot of power, so late braking is required to keep up with the rest of the flock. The Tractionators give a lot of feedback, inspiring confidence to be aggressive with the brakes and “backing it” into corners. They provide so much traction upon acceleration in the dirt, that a quick jab at the clutch is required to kick the rear out around corners.

Through mud, the front feels a bit washy, but the rear center scoop tread works like paddle to keep things moving. In a rock garden, both the front and rear felt quite bouncy, probably due to the harder tire compound, although the bike remained controllable. In gravel and sand the Tractionator’s are fantastic.
    PROS
    CONS
    Excellent off-road performance Sketchy tarmac performance, especially when wet
    Better wear than trail knobbies Noisey and vibey on the road
    Deep tread design offers bite and longevity

We’ve only put about 800 miles on the Motoz tires and the wear seems to be moderate. They aren’t being shaved down as quickly as knobbies on tarmac, but they are wearing a bit faster than big block tires. As aggressive as we’ve been with the bike, we’re surprised that none of the knobs have chunked off.

DVMoto rates this tire an 85/15, designed primarily for off road use. Even though we can’t recommend riding on rainy roads with the Tractionator Desert HTs, they’re a great choice for someone who wants to retain the off-road performance of their enduro, but also pass a state safety inspection. MSRP: Front $78.99 | Rear $94.99–$107.99 PacificPowersports.com

Anonymous Monday, 18 September 2017
    I have used these on the rear of an RXV550 and the knobs do chunk off and middle scoop tread you talk about does round down loosing its effectiveness. They are good when brand new but traction goes off with them. They may well be best suited to lower power bikes.

Funny, signed in as Anonymous but signed it Eric Hall. Huh!
    Anonymous Saturday, 15 April 2017Try riding this in the desert! This tire is truly amazing and quite durable for the bigger bikes as well. Keith Billings rode his bone stock 990R at the Baja Rally on the Mitas E09 then switched to these Desert H/T's and he was astonished at how much better they were. I have only tried the front on my 990 and loved it. - Eric Hall, XLADV

And more reviews:
    https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic...desert-ht-dot/

ejfranz and littletommy like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Two Track'in After Work in the Back 40

(All characters and events in this video, even those based on real people are entirely fictional. All inner voices are in your head and impersonated by you...poorly. The following video contains coarse language and due to its content, it should not be viewed by anyone, especially at work. Doing so, you may become violently ill which will cause you to leave work early and want to go home and ride. Wink Wink!

Just imagine yourself on an after work ride through the woods. You're gonna have to imagine it because there ain't no woods in the Back 40.

Well, there is woods if you take into consideration the wooden fence posts and electrical power poles in the background.

Gotta watch out for the badger holes on the Two-Track. Gotta watch out for cow patties on the single track. Well, cow single track that is!

As Paul Harvey would say, "and that's the rest of the story...good day"!
    Get your rear tire on one of the half dried cow pies and slam your rear brake on. That should give you a good slide.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Get your rear tire on one of the half dried cow pies and slam your rear brake on. That should give you a good slide.
    ejfranz, Mel, littletommy and 2 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Don't go to Kris and Lori's on Halloween, they don't use pumpkin's on the porch...
    Fred, grewen, admiral and 3 others like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Cow Pie Slide Ride? Another one for the TW Sayings Post
    littletommy, admiral and ejfranz like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Cow Pie Slide Ride? Another one for the TW Sayings Post
    bin there, dun that. no thanks
    littletommy, admiral and ejfranz like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Back tire is great compared to the old worn out knobby. I can actually use the rear brake now as before it would just slide on dirt or gravel surface. I didn't ride in the sand with the old tire, or at least not deeper sand like the sand hills. I thought it did fine in the sand, not just the tire but the XT as a whole. Someday I may take it out to the Weiser Sand Dunes along the Snake River and try it in the sand out there. Then I will be able to compare how it does in deep sand versus the TW for my riding style.

My thought is the TW will do better but maybe skinny tires work better. I don't have personal experience riding in deep sand with a skinny tire bike, just the TW so the jury is out on that matter. We keep hearing people say the TW should do better on sand than a skinny tire bike but this may just be wishful thinking theory. Eckhart should know for sure since he's ridden the TW and other skinny tire bikes at Moab and the Sand Dunes on the Oregon coast. Eckhart, can you tell us?

One fork was almost completely empty of fork oil and the other had more but I didn't measure the old stuff. Replacing the seals and oil stiffened the front suspension like it's supposed to be. The springs are different than the TW but I won't really know if they will bottom out like the stock TW springs did unless I go to Moab or a place like that. Moab was the only place I'd been where bottoming out on the big drop off's was common until I beefed up the suspension.

Now that the front is fixed, the rear suspension feels weak. Think spring like you mentioned on the newer XT250 you have. This winter I'm gonna remove the XT shock/spring and see if either an old stock TW shock I have (was replaced by procycle stiffer shock) or if the stock TW shock/spring will work/fit on the XT. For now, the front feels great but the back seems squashed down all the time, as yes, I'm sure "I" have something to do with the squashedness haha!

I did a fuel mileage test with the XT last week when I had the 110 main jet still in and it was 50 mpg. Our TW's get mid 60 mpg when I'm riding mostly highway and 70-80 mpg on trails/forest service road so fuel mileage is a concern. XT has 2.1-gallon stock tank versus 1.8 or 1.9 for the stock TW gas tank. I'm gonna see if the XT225 Serow gas tank at 2.3 gallons will fit on the XT200. If it does it's not the slightly larger tank but that I can fit a tank bag on it, the ones which hang over. The XT tank is too small in size for the tank bags I have. The reason is I have carried extra fuel in a 1-liter bottle for spare just in case. I don't want to put a cycle rack type rack on just to carry extra fuel if the fuel mileage doesn't improve but am looking to see if I can fabricate a small rack on the back for the fuel.

I'm hoping my fuel mileage increases with the 108 main jet I put in yesterday. Engine ran better so I hope so. There must be a big difference in how mileage is with the old XT carb versus any of the TW carbs. We know with either of the TW carbs the TW would get good fuel mileage with a properly tuned TW. I should try and find out what the mileage was estimated at for a new XT200 back in the day.
    so, did the front end stiffen up enough so that you are happy with it? my bike is 20 years old and I am pretty sure the forks have never been opened up. I pulled the rear shock out of mine and fooled with it. it has rebound dampening and sag adjustments, which I cranked to the top, it actually turned out ok, I think i'll leave it. my gas mileage, when I first got the bike, was 97 mpg ( big gal) but I think it may have dropped with the gearing and jet changes, I'm just checking it now

because Purple has brought the topic out of the closet..........all that pink is getting a wee bit worry some and purple is a really nice shade. just saying
    Last edited by grewen; 10-26-2017 at 09:57 AM.
    littletommy, ejfranz and Purple like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Quote Originally Posted by grewen View Post
    so, did the front end stiffen up enough so that you are happy with it? my bike is 20 years old and I am pretty sure the forks have never been opened up. I pulled the rear shock out of mine and fooled with it. it has rebound dampening and sag adjustments, with I cranked them up to the top, it actually turned out ok, I think i'll leave it. my gas mileage, when I first got the bike, was 97 mpg ( big gal) but I think it may have dropped with the gearing and jet changes, I'm just checking it now

because Purple has brought the topic out of the closet..........all that pink is getting a wee bit worry some and purple is a really nice shade. just saying
    Yes, I'm satisfied with the front forks. Along with the new seals, fresh correct amount of fork oil helps too.

I forgot about the possibility the shock might have a little adjustment. Hope so and I guess I'll find out when I tinker with it this winter. Next to removing the carbs (from any bike) I hate messing with the forks and shocks. I just wanna ride but I know it won't adjust itself.

The XT won't have pink. What ya'll see as pink now on the XT is just the way it was when I bought it. Besides, it's hard to see the seat no matter what the color when my fat arse is sitting on it.
    ejfranz, grewen and littletommy like this.

Progress. Good 'till October 31st 2018. Legal in the 50 States, Washington D.C. and with the right paperwork, even Canada.
    littletommy, Mel, ejfranz and 1 others like this.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links