The XT200 Files
Close

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree240Likes

Thread: The XT200 Files

The XT200 Files

Bought the XT from Mtn. Yawp because our daughters expressed an interest in riding but they thought the TW was to tall and heavy. In comes the XT at around 216 pounds compared to 278 + for the TW.

Has a carb related problem (most likely) as the CDI had already been replaced. Right now it needs the front fork seals replaced, carb work, headlight and other electrical lights repair. Stop light works and so does the right side turn signals so it's not all bad. Found some bird seed in the airbox some varment cong has been storing for winter.

Took it to Moose Creek for a familiarization ride few weeks ago.

This week I started working on the carb issue

The XT is running rich, I'm pretty sure by the symptoms, and sparkplug colors/condition. And with some advice and help from elime, I've got the carb problem almost solved. Not quite but almost. The XT had been modified with a Super Trap exhaust, which was a common mod for the XT and I'm assuming it was re-jetted for this reason. I couldn't read all the numbers on the jet which cam in the carb but it was much larger than the 122 which is stock for an XT.

Old jet is bottom and one of the jets I experimented with, a 122. As you can see the old jet is much larger than a 122.

Success mostly. I started out with a 128 jet, then 125, 122 and none of this worked. Actually, ran worse. Last night I tried a 118 and the old XT started coming around but it wasn't curred yet. Just glad I got a positive sign and that I was going in the right direction. Next I tried a 115 and boy howdy I'm very very close to dialing this XT carb in. Only a slight hesitation/stumble/flat spot about mid throttle in every gear. With all of the jets I tried before this it would almost puke it was stumbling so bad with sometimes just the slightest throttle imput.

Throttle response is pretty crisp and I can get up to speed pretty quickly. Still need to fine tune it but knowing I'm very close makes me feel good. I did say this motorcycle was for the girls right? haha I'm so funny.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Thats a cute bike, your daughters a lucky lady! I'm sure you look good on it too - you should pull up to the local Harley bar and do the "We're bad walk"! see below link

Fred, admiral, littletommy and 1 others like this.

We used to fine tune the air/fuel mix for 2-strokes with SuperTrapps by varying the number of diffuser discs installed. Does this work for 4-strokes too? Decrease number of discs and mix gets leaner, exhaust more quiet and meat of power band shifts to lower r.p.m.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
    you should pull up to the local Harley bar and do the "We're bad walk"!
    Hilarious!

or

"you should pull up to a group of KTM riders". Yep, I'm bad! Hopefully, they won't see just how bad I can be...of a rider.
    Donzo, littletommy and Ken like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    We used to fine tune the air/fuel mix for 2-strokes with SuperTrapps by varying the number of diffuser discs installed. Does this work for 4-strokes too? Decrease number of discs and mix gets leaner, exhaust more quiet and meat of power band shifts to lower r.p.m.

I've never dealt with a SuperTrapp but it does have a bunch of disks. It is quieter than the TW for sure.

I now have a lot of experience in changing a jet on an XT carb. If I had to change jets on the trail, it would only take me a couple minutes. Don't have to remove anything just twist the carb over and show me its bottom side. Has to be quicker than changing the disks in the muffler.

Speaking of the muffler. On our last camp/ride up near Crouch, ID (The Smoke Signal thread) a forest service person stopped by our camp and check our TW's to make sure they had a muffler and off-road sticker.

Of course, they are supposed to make sure the muffler has a spark arrestor and not just "a muffler". Plus, we only need off-road stickers for trails not forest service roads. I assume she, the forest service employee, thought our TW's were dirt bikes and not street legal dual-sport motorcycles.

I didn't give her any shit for it and when she departed she thanked us for being so nice. I'm guessing her reception at other campsites isn't as friendly.

Oh, and she just loved Mrs. Admiral's Pink TW and the Wilbrr license plate. She was giggling and telling her fellow worker of the pink TW as they drove off.
    Dryden-Tdub, Mel, ejfranz and 2 others like this.

I have a pair of Pink and Blue motocross pants you could have to blend in with the seat.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Quote Originally Posted by ejfranz View Post
    I have a pair of Pink and Blue motocross pants you could have to blend in with the seat.

Awesome lol8.gif

Boots too?

My understanding of the “reflection” in exhausts is primarily with two strokes, but I believe that is also has a (limited) impact on four strokes as well

Unless they’re spring loaded discs, I can’t see that in Admirals case this would affect the mid-range response

Might well be a stray rodent in there ……
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Might well be a stray rodent in there ……
    I know right.

While I'm waiting for more Jets to arrive from the elime Jet Bank, I went for a longer ride with the 115. It's still not quite right and I know that but it's fun to ride. Well, maybe it's fun to ride something different.

On the way home I pass some rodeo horse stock in the pasture eating what horses eat

Fred, Purple, Mel and 5 others like this.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links