DRZ400 advice.
Close
††††
††††
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: DRZ400 advice.

DRZ400 advice.

Just wondering all yours opinion or if anyones ever ridden a DRZ400s. Itís about 40lbs more than our TWs wet weight but would be more useable day to day for commuting duty.

I canít stop thinking about it as a option but I also donít want to be trying to ride a pig off road like my past Dr650 (was just way too much bike for me to learn on). Iíd love to have the TW and a DRZ. But realistically it donít make sense to have two bikes so close in projected use. And maintaining insuring and licensing three bikes would get costly.

I know I could just kinda park the TW for day to day use and rely on the V Strom for that duty. But I really prefer using the TW for commuting duty as if it gets scratch Iím far less likely to be upset than the Strom. And additionally I donít get to get out to the trails nearly as offten as Iíd like and the bikes disuse would really bother me.

My problem is I know Iíd much prefer the DRZ on a day to day basis but I fear Iíd hate it off road and off road is been sooooo much fun on the TW. Honestly I have ridden lots of kinda bikes been on a few longish bike trips and enjoyed many miles of riding. BUT nothing compared to the fun I find trail riding on this little TW. I afraid a bigger heavier more powerful bike may take that away a bit.

But again Iím a Bigger dude too at 5í10 or so and 270lbs the TW is taxed pretty hard on even the slightest grades. I have a bum left leg (from a bad accident) which limits my riding ability for long stints standing but I do ok for most rides sooo far. Additionally I am strong enuff to easily pick up a TW from any angle it falls so I doubt the 40lbs extra would bother me there I just wonder how well a DRZ can manage the low and slow riding off road I enjoy on the TW.

Whatís a fat TW rider that lives in the city to do?
    Elvesus and ejfranz like this.
    2017 Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT

2010 Yamaha TW200

2016 Polaris Sportsman 450 HO

2005 Yamaha Bruin 350 4x4

My two cents. You need pretty long legs for a DRZ unless your a pretty accomplished rider. You could get a lowering link though. The bike does much better in highway but unless your used to a heavyish bike off road you may not like it. It's not a replacement for a TW in my opinion, it is however a very good bike. The two people I know that swapped TWs for DRZs were not happy with the trade. They lost more than they gained in comfortable fear free riding. It was the height and weight that made them uncomfortable on it. I ride a 701 husky most days and still love the TW for what it is. There simply is no replacement for a TW200..
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

I would say it depends upon the type of off-road riding that you do. If it is mainly fire roads and easy single track trails, the DRZ will be a pleasure to ride. If you ride Fred's version of "easy single track" (i.e., better described as steep, rocky, rutted, and snotty single track), then the TW will be better. The DRZ is fun to ride around town and on the twisties, but is really only good for short highway hops (at least for me).

This is 2007 DRZ400SM that I just sold a few weeks ago after owning for about 7 years. I also had a separate set of dirt wheels/knobbies for it, but I guess I never took any pics of it with them on it.

IMG_1675.JPG

It is a more complicated and more difficult bike (again, for me) to work on. It didn't like it if was not ridden regularly (every few days, not every few weeks or months).

A DRZ is not a TW, and a TW can't be made into a DRZ - they are just different bikes, best suited for different purposes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I rode a DRZ400 from 2009 to 2016, mostly on jeep/fire access roads, I loved it.
    Then I bought a WR250r, it's better off road but not as good on road as the DRZ.
    This year I bought a TW, it's nothing at all like the other two bikes!
    My suggestion is keep your TW and buy a 2005+ Suzuki 650 Savage, they aren't expensive and are cheap to own.
    This way you'll have a bike for the road that has a low seat and plenty of power for your size, then when you
    want to ride off road you'll have the TW. Two bikes, completely different, both fun to ride.

Don't worry about scratches on the VStrom and just ride it. After that first scratch, it is all good. Mine has plenty of scratches.
    I would look at a WR250r before the DRZ. You can get a lowering link and/or shave the seat. In stock form the WR will pull 120 kmph all day long.
    I would put at least a 46 in the rear and you can ride some pretty nasty trails with a 12 in the front.
    DRZ is only a 5 speed and when you gear it down for trail riding you loose your Hwy comfort.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Mike what are you talking about? You kick ass on the TW. We all have different opinions and skill levels and I will only share my experience on a DRZ. Andrew owned one for a while and I only tried it on the street. My opinion is its not much different than that pig DR650. Big and tall and like every other bike I have ever ridden with a 21" front wheel not enjoyable to ride on the street.

Hmmm lot to think bout. But sounds like I’d regret it off road which is not what i want.

2010 Yamaha TW200

I'm fortunate to own both. I really enjoy my DRZ for back road cruising at 50-70 Km/h. When riding trails, hopping to town, or simply going on a local adventure the TW is great. To me the DRZ is not much fun when the going is really slow, it enjoys higher revs and just don't like going slow. Day to day I actually like the high seat but when puttering along rocky, muddy or slippery trails you will drop it. I don't do much long distance street riding but neither is designed for that. The DRZ is not much better at speed, lots of wind and vibration, and the TW seat is more comfortable, I will get a Wee Strom if ever I feel like long distance. The strong DRZ midrange is addictive but it runs out of revs at higher speeds. I would simply own 3 bikes but if you really have to sell the TW a 250 6 speed might be the perfect fit.
    Last edited by Koedoe; 05-26-2018 at 02:07 AM.

Well today I decided to scratch the itch and picked up a nice used DRZ400SM for a good deal. My plan is to give it a go this year as my commuter toy (maybe through some knobies on if I like itís commuting characteristics and try it of some trails).

Then next spring sell either it or one of the TWs (hoping to actually work on the project TW this year) or the DRZ and make the $$$ back.

78FD72A0-8685-4CAA-B50D-B413490C3783.jpeg
    CF77B46D-5D1A-4E3B-ACC0-E29B9B864D46.jpeg

Even the boss seams happy with it
    CE38D02A-5094-4E35-95F4-F8ABBB18E214.jpeg

2010 Yamaha TW200

I love the DRZ but to me the TW and DRZ are two totally different categories of bikes there isn't really anything that fills the TW nitch
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links