Rode the pines today, 83 miles or so - Deep sand and deep whoops for many miles.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Rode the pines today, 83 miles or so - Deep sand and deep whoops for many miles.

Rode the pines today, 83 miles or so - Deep sand and deep whoops for many miles.

The video does not do it justice because I was standing and it's really hard to tell that the bike was on a major roller coaster. These were every bit of 2.25 foot deep, very close togeather and went on for miles. They were made of fine very dry sugar sand and were pretty difficult and very tiring to navigate without falling over. I decided to take this long arduous route to build sand riding skills and my knees. The video makes it look like child's play though... not. This is on the 701. Even though it looks simple enough I'm putting it up so when I take people there they go Oh.... Yea... this ain't so simple.

Last edited by JerseyJeeper; 05-25-2018 at 08:18 PM.
    Fred, jtstdub, grewen and 3 others like this.
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

Those sandy whoops look like they might get a bit tiring about halfway into those 83 miles. I hate whoops, especially on the under-suspended TW. Bet the Husky's 701 could carve and rip some left-right slaloming curves around those trees making "whoops" in the horizontal, rather than vertical plane. Straight roads are OK and get you there, but tree dodging twisty enduro singletracks can be more fun.
    Is the 701 too big for comfortable tree dodging? The few corners in the video looked like fun when you could open the throttle a bit.
    Tweaker, Ken and JerseyJeeper like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

83 miles of that you’re a hero. We have a lot of sand washes in our desert. I really like riding in it when it is wet which only happens a few times a year,
    JerseyJeeper and Ken like this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

wow, you're the man. i don't think i could have done that, not for 83 miles worth! that reminds of the time my dad and i went from Gabriola island to vancouver in his 16 ft boat and the rollers were higher than our boat, so 1/2 the time we were an airplane and the other 1/2 we were a submarine
    Last edited by grewen; 05-26-2018 at 11:11 AM.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

I paid for it last night, woke up with the worse charlie horse I ever had. My groaning in pain must have sounded like I was doing an elephant. Standing up in those whoops really works your legs. It was in prep for the ride I just got back from a few minutes ago. It was possibly one of the most difficult fastest rides I've done since riding motorcross years ago. I think I have some good video, but part of the way I accidentally switched it to pic instead of camera mode.

I went to meet up with a guy from adv who I never met (he rides with the main bunch there, great riders), it was just one of those let's go ride days that turned out great. Frankly part of it had me thinking I was gonna die but once I beat the fear I rode that much better. He was truly a great rider and sticking on his tail disclosed some good techniques I adopted. My advice is ride with as many different people as you can. You will learn a lot and accelerate as a rider.

Fred, the weight of the 701 is balanced out by the torque that is immediately available but the caveat is that you need the balls to use it. If it gets to far over on you and you don't goose it your going down hard and it's a bitch to get off you. For a long time I was sticking to the fire roads (out of fear of the deep sand to be totally honest) but with all the riding I've been doing I'm pushing the envelope latlety, riding a lot more tight technical stuff that I could never have done last year or even earlier this year. I'm absolutely convinced that being a good rider has everything to do with overcoming fear and learning to let the throttle do the work, most importantly not backing off it at the wrong time... It doesn't hurt that I used to race motocross when I was young but that was 25 years ago. So yes once you get past the I'm gonna die feeling and start using the throttle you do start carving the whoops, then eventually you relax and it becomes fluid and more relaxing, in the beginning, for a long time it was white knuckles and the I'm gonna die feeling. I'm hoping today's video comes out with some good stuff, it was the best of the best that we have here, very tight, fast, whoops and then opening up and back in again.. End of day, the more you ride the better you get. The more you ride with others really multiplies riding time.

As far as yesterday I forced my self to take the worst routes possible saying to myself, your never gonna get past where you are if you don't. Every now and then it opened up and I could really get on it. I'm able to cruse at 50/60 no problem on gravel and light sand and can get to that speed in the blink of an eye but you have to watch for deep sand holes and deer at all times! No day dreaming allowed.
    ejfranz, Ken and Fred like this.
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003

While I'm waiting for video to process here's a few pics of things I ran across in the pines over the past two days:

looks good... until.
    IMG_0264.JPG

You see see the other side. It was missing the whole half of the axle:
    IMG_0262.JPG

Then there was this who who know what building:
    IMG_0254.JPG
    Ken and TopPredator like this.
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003

For those cramping muscles, I use P3. I also did an intense ride yesterday and suffered from major cramping last night.
    Rubbed the P3 into the cramping muscles and within a few minutes the cramping was gone for the night.

What tire do you have on the back of the Beta?
    You might want to look into a Motoz desert tractionator as it is designed for sand riding.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

I never heard of P3, I'll check it out. Thank you.

Its a Husqvarna 701 actually. With a trail wing on the back.. lol

Its actually a good tire but I'll be checking on that tire you mentioned asap. Thanks x2
    Ken and ejfranz like this.
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003

Here is a link to the p3 cream. I was at a running clinic where we were given a sample of the cream. I just need to remember to put it on prior to the cramping.

You're the first person I have ever heard good things about a death wing tire from. I gave a friend of mine what I considered a worn out D606 to replace his almost new trail wing and he found a major improvement. The D606 centre knobs where a 1/4 the height of the side knobs, but were still taller then his trail wing's.

Here is a review on the Motoz desert tractionator
    I have used it on the Oregon dunes on the back of my WR250r and it was almost as good as a sand paddle.
    JerseyJeeper likes this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Not having tried the 606 I have no reference personally but I did take notice the guy in front of me in that video I posted yesterday was running them front and back and he wasn't getting squirrelly. Mine is getting near shot so the next time around I'll be asking and researching like crazy. I do need to ride about 50 miles on asphalt to and from my main riding area, sometimes in the rain. What choices best fit my scenario in your opinion? Thanks for that review I'm going to go check that out in a few. I appreciated all the input, thanks again!
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links