XR200R blue smoke? - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: XR200R blue smoke?

If you want better acceleration out of the TW I’d suggest going the other way with your sprockets. As is first gear is way to short I found even on the trail. I find going to the 47 tooth on the rear to be perfect for me. It makes first some what usable and allows true comfy riding at 80-90 Kim’s with a honest 105 top speed (with my fat ass. Your results may very). As for the exhaust I have a DG on mine and bikes jetted accordingly. There is no noticeable performance gain over the stock bike my brother has.

As for the xr200. Yeah honestly you probly best to just get a top end kit. After all the parts are really not that $$$. And then you know it’s fresh and good for many many sMiles again.
    2017 Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT

2010 Yamaha TW200

2016 Polaris Sportsman 450 HO

2005 Yamaha Bruin 350 4x4

Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    ...and maybe add a 6 Sigma N20 Nitrous kit for that "Push to Pass or Push to Crash" boost?Small Engine NOS NO2 Nitrous Oxide Kit 250-500 2 & 4 Stroke, EFI & Carb +5 Bottles of NOS …
    When are you going to try this Fred? Just think of the great launch you can make on video at the top of a hill or across a deep crevice.
    Trail Woman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinybear View Post
    If you want better acceleration out of the TW I’d suggest going the other way with your sprockets. As is first gear is way to short I found even on the trail. I find going to the 47 tooth on the rear to be perfect for me. It makes first some what usable and allows true comfy riding at 80-90 Kim’s with a honest 105 top speed (with my fat ass. Your results may very). As for the exhaust I have a DG on mine and bikes jetted accordingly. There is no noticeable performance gain over the stock bike my brother has.

As for the xr200. Yeah honestly you probly best to just get a top end kit. After all the parts are really not that $$$. And then you know it’s fresh and good for many many sMiles again.
    I have some experience with sprocket sizing before I got a TW.

If you decrease sprocket size you loose acceleration and gain top speed. This is more practical on the pavement and I'm 100% dirt. First gear is short unless you need to crawl over very technical terrain. If I get a larger sprocket I can accelerate guicker but loose top speed. As a result I will be in 2nd gear more with less need to slip the clutch on the trails instead of redlining 1st. I will likely be skipping 1st most of the time and launching off 2nd. Right now I rarely exceed 80kph which I can reach at the top of 4th gear so I have plenty of gear range wasted and unreachable. This way I won't need to gear down for hills as much either and I think I'll wheelie like this.

As for DG exhaust I heard the biggest difference is sound but some claim to get more power too and you can get similar result for free by modding the stock exhaust.
    Last edited by Trail Woman; 06-18-2018 at 06:28 PM.
    ejfranz and Old n dirty like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Ahhhh so it's really about Wheelies! I knew it.....
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

Sprocket selection is a function of not only personal preference and rear tire diameter but primarily is related to steepness and difficulty of commonly encountered terrain. For example sometimes I wish for more torque multiplication in first gear than 13x55 sprockets can provide while churning a Duro ATV tire or even a stock smaller TrailWing aired down. 70 tooth rear sprockets are not unheard of in the inter-mountain west on TWs.
    When discussing sprockets is is helpful to identify which of the two sprockets one is referring too when stating what happens when one "goes bigger", or "goes smaller".
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Agreed...I was replying to Tinybear regarding back sprocket but I should have been more specific as to not have to back track to find out which sprocket we're talking about.

We're upsizing the XR200R rear sprocket as well....even though it wheelies up in 3rd. I think a rear tire that's not bald would be a better investment..lol

Back to the XR200RY
    We did a top end gasket replacement and found the oil o-ring missing and thought we had nailed it We skipped the valve seals thinking they looked decent and even though the exhaust lash was way too loose they weren't pounded at all. The top of the head was getting oil so the cam, valves and chain appeared to be in great shape. We also left the piston head on since we thought the missing oil o-ring was the culprit and the serial number proved it had a larger piston job after a 1mm bore. Since we had it apart we used some red engine enamel and black header paint and it looks much better.....but otherwise fail. It ran with lots of power but burned through oil even worse then before. So now it's a full rebuild. This may run a few hundred in parts considering the shifter fork appears to have some damage and the kickstarter is sloppy. And until then my main riding partner is out of luck. Maybe we can get the broken FXX110 hub repaired (replaced, laced, and waiting for bearings and spacers) and we can still have some fun this summer.

After doing more research it appears assembling the piston rings incorrectly can lead to burning oil badly so before we place an order, we're going to remove only four engine bolts and cam/chain assembly and lift off the entire head to inspect the rings since we still have that gasket from the kit. I'm guessing now that the POS PO assembled the oil ring overlapping itself and possibly upside down for that matter, and possibly the rings are not even aligned properly. We're not quite ready for the expense and work of a complete rebuild if avoidable.

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Woman View Post
    After doing more research it appears assembling the piston rings incorrectly can lead to burning oil badly so before we place an order, we're going to remove only four engine bolts and cam/chain assembly and lift off the entire head to inspect the rings since we still have that gasket from the kit. I'm guessing now that the POS PO assembled the oil ring overlapping itself and possibly upside down for that matter, and possibly the rings are not even aligned properly. We're not quite ready for the expense and work of a complete rebuild if avoidable.
    Yeah, indexing piston rings is pretty import step. The below picture is for the TW not the Honda XR200r and I'm just showing it to your viewers to visualize what you are speaking about. Step 7. below
    Trail Woman likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Woman View Post
    Back to the XR200RY
    We did a top end gasket replacement and found the oil o-ring missing and thought we had nailed it We skipped the valve seals thinking they looked decent and even though the exhaust lash was way too loose they weren't pounded at all. The top of the head was getting oil so the cam, valves and chain appeared to be in great shape. We also left the piston head on since we thought the missing oil o-ring was the culprit and the serial number proved it had a larger piston job after a 1mm bore. Since we had it apart we used some red engine enamel and black header paint and it looks much better.....but otherwise fail. It ran with lots of power but burned through oil even worse then before. So now it's a full rebuild. This may run a few hundred in parts considering the shifter fork appears to have some damage and the kickstarter is sloppy. And until then my main riding partner is out of luck. Maybe we can get the broken FXX110 hub repaired (replaced, laced, and waiting for bearings and spacers) and we can still have some fun this summer.
    Don't ya just hate when that happens!
    Trail Woman likes this.
    You'll never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office!

Theirs a ass for every seat!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links