Italian-designed, Chinese-made, 250cc, 19hp, and 83mph top speed bike is beautiful!
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Italian-designed, Chinese-made, 250cc, 19hp, and 83mph top speed bike is beautiful!

Italian-designed, Chinese-made, 250cc, 19hp, and 83mph top speed bike is beautiful!

So, I've been looking at the CSC offerings. Dual sport or a cafe racer for $2400 shipped and the RX3. Really liking the RX3, but I was getting the bug for an around-town 250 that could handle short stints on the highway and maybe even a gravel road or two. The SG250 looked great, but that 68mph top speed and super small size (26" seat height and a 50" wheelbase) put me off a bit. And then... I found the SSR Buccaneer. It's designed by Italjet, and sold as an Italjet in europe. Here, it's sold as an SSR. It's got a 19hp clone of the 250cc V-twin Virago mill, and has an 83mph top speed in perfect conditions. (Full tuck, tailwind, downhill). That equates to a sustainable 75mph on a straight and level road, and 71mph on an extended uphill grade. That's WAY better than the TW200 for the street. It's not as smooth and powerful as a ninja 250 by any stretch, but it's a really nice looking machine that has a lot of ground clearance and even comes with a belly pan, headlight guard, and dual sport (ish) tires.

2017-SSR-Buccaneer-Cafe-250i0704-633x421.jpg

I really like the look of this, and I want one pretty badly. It looks like a motorcycle should look. I've viewed a bunch of videos on youtube, and it goes pretty well and sounds really good. It's a capable street bike that could dabble on some dirt, and look really good doing it. It's not TW-capable off-road, but to be honest I almost never road my TW off-road. I commuted on it 99.8% of the time.

Another thing... it has a 4.5 gallon tank!! 280 miles before reserve assuming 70mpg.

I'm going to see one this weekend, I think...

Charles.
    Hidden Content
    Modified Motorcycles by ChopperCharles:
    Hidden Content

Saw one at my local Yamaha dealer couple weeks ago. Very intriguing looking motorcycle.

What did you think of the fit and finish when you saw it in person?

Charles.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Didn’t spend that much time on it as I was looking for something else. IIRC the price point seemed reasonable. But is a cool looking bike. Interesting to see a 250 in a V-twin. I did go home and research SSR some as the dealer seemed to have their whole line.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

I always dug the 2 fiddy twin. Wished it could be fitted with a kicker though for oldschool credibility, and y'know, when there's no electricity. I'm not crazy about some of the bodywork there but other bits look pretty slick. I bet it's a hoot.

Some of these off brand bikes sure do look nice but I always am concerned about the parts availability network when something breaks. One of the most frustrating issues I have with all these machines from motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and even lawn equipment is being down and out while waiting for parts or being told the damn part does not exist. I am in this right now with my BW350 and Yamaha quit making one of the sprockets and no other company makes it either. A simple $15 sprocket that is nonexistent ends up costing major money because you have to change all sorts of gearing options to make it go. I blame Yamaha but they just don't give a rats ass about keeping the parts available. I doubt these new companies will either and some of the China brands could be here today under one brand and gone tomorrow or under some other brand name. The mystique about these TWs is in their longevity and the fact that very little has changed for over 30 years of production.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Well, SSR has a warehouse in california that they've stocked with parts for all bikes, so any part for any bike is available in less than a week. CSC has done the same with their lineup, bragging that they have the parts to assemble several complete motorcycles for each model they sell. Every nut, every bolt, every one-off or weird part, they have it.

This SSR has a Virago motor, so I'm thinking most engine parts can be retro-fitted with genuine yamaha. The EFI is off-the-shelf stuff and even the speedo is an aftermarket unit you can buy on eBay. These bikes have a proven track record in countries with terrible infrastructure and poor maintenance practices. SSR has the dealer network for repairs, and CSC will bend over backwards to help you DIY your repairs, or will coordinate with a local shop to repair your bike. I'm not scared of these Chinese bikes anymore. 5 years ago I would have been, but today? No. The parts availability is there, the knowledge is on the Internet, and the reliability is there now too.

Charles.
    Smitty Blackstone and Ken like this.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Good to hear CC, My only dealing with this off branded stuff was back well over 5 years ago and not positive. Not real positive with some of the older Yamaha and Honda stuff either so I guess it is a wash. I do maintain a rather negative attitude and particularly with Chinese battery tools. For the most part when the battery goes you might as well just toss the entire tool, charger and old battery because a new battery if it can even be found is more than a new drill kit. DeWalt and Ryobi are culprits with this crap.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

The 250 Virago may technically on paper have more power than the Tw200, but in reality it feels painfully slow. Having daily ridden the TW for a few years, I'm used to almost no power, but that Virago was something else. I couldn't wait to get off that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ChopperCharles View Post
    This SSR has a Virago motor, so I'm thinking most engine parts can be retro-fitted with genuine yamaha.
    Charles.

Are you sure? The engines do not look the same and I don't think Yamaha uses Chinese engines on their bikes

.Yamaha_Virago_535_azure_blue.jpg 2017-SSR-Buccaneer-Cafe-250i0704-633x421.jpg
    Last edited by sibyrnes; 01-25-2019 at 09:05 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links