Planning my next bike.. - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Planning my next bike..

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    Very nice,

And now I suppose that you are going tell us that it has an electric starter and 6 speeds also !
    Thanks Brian, yep it's pretty much all in there. Reculse auto clutch too. Now that's unique trying to get used to, not needing to use the manual clutch. I keep grabbing for it.

I rode the 701 monster today, rode with a class rider on a GS. He drove all the way down from manhattan. We rode some crazy shit. I never seen anyone other than Dakar riders ride a big bike like this guy. It was a great ride. He's from Peru and travels the world riding so yea, like Dakar. One for the memory books.

Heres a secret little spot I might show Mike. Zoom in on the background, try to guess what it is.

IMG_2034.JPG

IMG_7176.JPG
    Last edited by JerseyJeeper; 04-14-2019 at 04:09 PM.
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

rbm
    Terra cotta? (Sp?)
    JerseyJeeper likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rbm View Post
    Terra cotta? (Sp?)
    Yup. Bricksbrea aka terra cotta factory.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

rbm
    Still want to make it down there one day.. 😉

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJeeper View Post
    Thanks Brian, yep it's pretty much all in there. Reculse auto clutch too. Now that's unique trying to get used to, not needing to use the manual clutch. I keep grabbing for it.

I rode the 701 monster today, rode with a class rider on a GS. He drove all the way down from manhattan. We rode some crazy shit. I never seen anyone other than Dakar riders ride a big bike like this guy. It was a great ride. He's from Peru and travels the world riding so yea, like Dakar. One for the memory books.

Heres a secret little spot I might show Mike. Zoom in on the background, try to guess what it is.

IMG_2034.JPG

IMG_7176.JPG
    A guy from Peru peeing on a graffiti filled wall?

Tom
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Lol.. He was looking at his phone Tom. There were people there down in the tunnel.
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJeeper View Post
    Lol.. He was looking at his phone
    Haha, good one!

I'll have to remember that one - "I was just over by that wall/tree/bush/rock/stream/etc., looking at my phone !"

I was the GM at a big shop along the borders of WV and KY, Honda, Kawasaki and KTM. Big time MXers down there and a very interesting mix of people. I used to watch the sales floor when we did blow out sales and it almost always went like this. The guys with short wallets usually went for the Kawasaki's. The good riders with fatter wallets usually went with Honda's and the guys who usually won on race days always went for the KTM's. Honda was always trying hard but IMO what they really did was to increase the price to match that of the comparable KTM while not actually increasing the function and quality of the machines. The head mechanic and the shop owners son were Super Cross riders and no fun to ride with at all because most of us needed a tractor beam to ever find them. Both rode KTM's and rode them hard. Talking to the mechanic and he always said when a KTM comes in for service it is a basic service like oil change, sprocket and chains and minor adjustments but very little in the Repair category. Honda's came in with broken stuff and Kawasaki's came in needing serious repairs. I would love to have a $5 dollar bill for every guy who wanted to trade in his Honda to buy a KTM. A local competitor shop sold Husky's and although I don't know a lot about them they were often right up there in the winners circle after the races. Our main bread and butter came from ATV sales being right along the Hatfield/McCoy trail system so my days were spent keeping 4 wheeler's in stock and on the floors ready to roll out the door in a quick exchange of cash and carry. Honda Rancher's and Rincon's were our staples back in 2001-2002. I don't believe you can go wrong with a KTM if you have the beans to buy one. As a company I can say they were mighty tough to deal with just keeping hot bikes in stock. I could order and get any Honda or Kawasaki machine in a matter of a week or so but if I had to order in a particular KTM model it was more like a full month and longer on the hottest models. Our company buyer had to submit major inventory orders twice a year where truck loads of bikes and ATV's would be delivered all at once and with no freight charges.
    We would get 30 or 40 crated Honda and Kawasaki machines in a matter of two days and scramble to get them set up but when the KTM's arrived there might only be 5-8 units because the buyer never really knew which models would be the hot seller that year. Write ups, reviews and race winning results were the driving force behind KTM's sales. If the big super cross riders were winning on a particular KTM machine then everybody wanted that machine and I could not get them fast enough.

GaryL
    JerseyJeeper and Sthrnromr like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    I was the GM at a big shop along the borders of WV and KY...

GaryL
    That was a nice post Gary. Riding many different bikes over the years I figured the time had come to plunk down what it took to get what I always wanted. I have had Maico open class bikes, Hondas (CR480 and 500 - wow).. but these new bikes are a whole different animal.

Having a 54HP 2-stroke is nuts, even after having an 80HP 4-stroke dirt bike for a few years. I've already decided to yank the WP XPlor forks off of the TE300i and replace them with WP AER air forks off on a 2018 1/2 Husqvarna FC450 rockstar edition factory bike.

As it stands i'm planning on riding true competitive AMA sanctioned enduro at 53 years old (54 in June). Been practicing every single night and am currently building an enduro track behind the house. Only time will tell but I have high hopes of being above mediocre in the 50+ class.

The guys I regularly ride with claim i'm good enough so i'm going for it. I generally ride 80+ mile enduro loops now at my own pace, faster than many but whether or not the old knees can handle 60 to 100 mile true enduros is yet to be seen. I have no ACL in the left and the others are torn so I wear braces.

I am working on endurance and commitment to obstacles.. Commiting to ramming into downed trees is harder than committing to not eating donuts so there is that.. it's a BIG challenge. No donuts and ramming into obstacles. LOL
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003

I'm not letting you get away with it JJ. The only one around here who can blame it on the Donuts is LT!

I bet you will do well on a 2 stroke rice burner with 54 HP and a lot less weight. 2 strokers have come a long way since I was tearing up the countryside on my Hodaka. I rode a few Enduro tracks with buddies way back when on an old Bultaco Alpina. Nice bike and strong runner but was just too old and worn out to finish any real races. Those are fun races but my downfall in them was going down the steep hills. My much more experienced buddies flew down them on the throttle while I crept down on the brakes. Jumping logs was pretty cool once you learned to not fly over the bars. Stick to the enduro races because these guys who do the MX and Super MX races when they see a rider in front go down just use them for traction.

GaryL
    JerseyJeeper and littletommy like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponosred Links