New electric dirt bikes
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: New electric dirt bikes

New electric dirt bikes

Love 'em, hate 'em or ignore 'em...but they are here!

Honda has an electric MX prototype in testing, soon to be entered in heads-up competition with internal combustion bikes.

I guess you would call this new electric a play-trailie:
    https://www.cycleworld.com/2018-cake...ource=internal
    It's goofy looking and way too expensive, but watch the vid with an open mind...these things have major potential!
    As the technology continues to progress and sales & competition increase, the prices should come down as the bikes get better.
    There are already serious electric vehicles in many types of car racing and electric cars & bikes are competing at Bonneville, Pikes Peak Hill Climb and drag racing.
    Indy Car & F1 are looking at electric divisions.
    Harley has a new electric that doesn't look half-bad...if you can imagine such a thing!

ZERO FX (almost a dual sport) ZERO, one of the best.

Elvesus and Peterb like this.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

I've looked at the Zero bikes quite a bit and if I had a lot of extra money I'd buy one but I don't see that happening anytime soon. Doesn't seem practical for long trips but just for daily riding would be pretty cool.
    Darth likes this.

They are quick little bastards, I know that!
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

Still, I rise!

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Darth View Post
    They are quick little bastards, I know that!
    I don't care how quick they are, I'm not these days. I've had other electric vehicles and the I'm not going to make it back charge is low fear is real and justified YMMV.

Long live internal combustion and loud a$$ pipes!

I was born that way! (some pop song I heard at the mall LOL)
    Darth likes this.
    2006 TW200 CA version

The one that builds dirt bikes went out of business. Manufactures are pushing electric because of pressure from environmentalist. They don't sell or if they do it is at a loss. All this electric stuff is just to make some people "feel good". If you noticed, it went from "global warming" to "climate change" when it was discovered there was not going to be any warming. It really takes more energy to produce electric than internal combustion vehicles. The earth has been here for a long time. It has gone through many changes. It will keep on changing with or without us. Oil has given us so many good things that many people don't realize. The main one is our freedom. We can (at any time) be anywhere we want within minutes/hours. Our freedom and safety are based on the internal combustion. Just think about that a minute. I will not go electric until there is no more oil. Which is looking like a long time. I like to hear the sound of my engine. I am amazed at how well it works. That it works at all is amazing! Long live the internal combustion engine.
    raffles likes this.
    2017 Apollo 250
    2018 Yamaha TW200
    1978 Suzuki DR370

Not going to get into debates about environment or politics here.

But I am excited about electric bikes and cars. Range is constantly improving as is quicker and quicker charge times. Within my life time I feel an electric will be far far superior to the ICE of today.

Electric is simpler, lower maintenance, fewer moving parts and offers better power and insane torque. Honestly once range charge times, and cost approach that of the ICE powered bikes there will be little to no reason to truly opt for a ice powered machine.

I have wanted a zero FX as a commuter for a while and if I had the $$$$ I might have even pulled the trigger on one but until I do I will continue to keep watching in anticipation of the great strides in electric advancements in anticipation of there future dominance.

Oh and this is from a guy who make a living as a diesel mechanic. I love gasoline and diesel and will always enjoy tinkering with such. But to refuse facts of advantages of electric would be limiting and closed minded.

I think the ICE powered stuff will continue to be enjoyed long into the future much like the horses are enjoyed today despite being replaced in main stream by the ICE many many years ago.
    Tweaker, raffles, joeband and 2 others like this.
    2017 Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT

2010 Yamaha TW200

2016 Polaris Sportsman 450 HO

2005 Yamaha Bruin 350 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Tinybear View Post
    Not going to get into debates about environment or politics here.
    Sorry about that **steps down from soap box**. I really do think they are neat. I would ride one if given the chance. Might even change my mind.
    Tweaker and joeband like this.
    2017 Apollo 250
    2018 Yamaha TW200
    1978 Suzuki DR370

I am all for electric MX bikes, but one of the ONLY things that help us live through each ride on the road... is noise.

People in cars (me included) don't always see bikers, but we sure know when there is a big loud noise coming from behind. I don't want to give that up... in my opinion its the biggest problem with road-going electric vehicles in general.
    raffles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TitanFlyer View Post
    I am all for electric MX bikes, but one of the ONLY things that help us live through each ride on the road... is noise.

People in cars (me included) don't always see bikers, but we sure know when there is a big loud noise coming from behind. I don't want to give that up... in my opinion its the biggest problem with road-going electric vehicles in general.
    Hey Titan, I hear ya! (No pun intended)

I've been joking about this for years, ever since electrics started being talked about, and people bitching about it, me included. Now I hear at least one aftermarket company is doing it!
    It's an electronic device that can produce, amplify and modulate various internal combustion sounds through hidden external speakers.
    It can simulate a big-bore V-8 with "pipes", running through the gears of a 5/6 speed box, chirping the tires, or a full-bore burn out!
    Versions with other engine type sounds can't be far behind.

For my T-Dub I want the big-bore, blown, alky-burning, NOS-boosted, Harley Dee top fuel drag-bike version.
    Then go down on 6th St. in Amarillo, pull up in amongst 'em at a Harley bar, and shatter all their headlight bulbs!

Wish I could get exclusive distribution rights. I'd make a fortune...if the Harley Bros hadn't killed me first!
    Apolloha and littletommy like this.
    - Hunter S. Thompson

Still, I rise!

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

More info please or a link...

Just today, I was sitting at a light on the scooter and "Billy Bad Ass" on his Harley pulled up besides me. I said "Hey, how ya doin bro?" like I do to everybody, and he smirked at me and looked away like I was invisible. I'm thinking...OK you "*&%#@" Ever got blown away by a fat dude on a scooter?"
    As the light got close to changing, he wraps it up a couple times to let me know he was the king of the road... I think... I gotta teach this ol butthead a lesson. So when it changed, he "try's" to take off like a bandit, I even let him get ahead a foot or two, then, I twist the throttle and hold it wide open. I'm 10 feet in the lead before we clear the intersection and then I'm gone. He literally just gave up and fell way way way behind. I'm pretty sure he was embarrassed and didn't want to pull up along side me again. I would have loved to have a big Harley sound coming from under my scoot.

Darth, Tweaker and joeband like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links