Acquired A 1982 Yamaha it465, opinions on what to do.
Close

Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By Gar-Man
  • 2 Post By Sthrnromr
  • 3 Post By TW-Brian
  • 2 Post By ejfranz
  • 2 Post By Gar-Man
  • 2 Post By assquatch20
  • 1 Post By stagewex

Thread: Acquired A 1982 Yamaha it465, opinions on what to do.

Acquired A 1982 Yamaha it465, opinions on what to do.

A buddy of mine gave me a Yamamah it465, his neighbor was moving and the guy just wanted it gone. So my buddy grabbed it and called me to tell me to come pick it up. Looks like it’s been sitting a long time but the engine turns over and it had spark. So I cleaned the carb and gas tank and tried to start it. Not that lucky..lol So I investigated further and after cleaning the crankcase cover I can see an old repair on it (looks to be a JBweld repair on a crack. So I pulled the cover off after draining the oil and the cover brakes into to pieces, I inspect the inside of the case plus the gears and find the kick start gear is missing teeth and the inside of the maIn case has two bad cracks in it and the dime size hole in it from the kick start lobe at the end of the gear hitting the case. So this is the first big problem I found. I did not pull the clutch side cover but the clutch seems to be very very stiff and dose not really engage. I am able to click threw the gears rocking the bike back and forth in between shifts and then get back to neutral. The bike is missing side covers and the air box car but over all looks in really good shape.

So obviously this engine is going to have to be pulled and rebuilt but the problem I am finding is PARTS. Hard to find all that I need and very expensive. Only place I have located some of what I need is on eBay and after adding up the cost for them it’s jaw dropping.

So this brings me to my question, what would you do with this. It’s a supper cool old Yamaha Enduro but repairing the engine is going to be very costly. Would you hold onto it and hope to find a parts bike down the road to get parts or would you part the bike off and make a few bucks. I think it would be a shame to part this bike out. What would you guys do.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gar-Man View Post
    A buddy of mine gave me a Yamamah it465, his neighbor was moving and the guy just wanted it gone. So my buddy grabbed it and called me to tell me to come pick it up. Looks like it’s been sitting a long time but the engine turns over and it had spark. So I cleaned the carb and gas tank and tried to start it. Not that lucky..lol So I investigated further and after cleaning the crankcase cover I can see an old repair on it (looks to be a JBweld repair on a crack. So I pulled the cover off after draining the oil and the cover brakes into to pieces, I inspect the inside of the case plus the gears and find the kick start gear is missing teeth and the inside of the maIn case has two bad cracks in it and the dime size hole in it from the kick start lobe at the end of the gear hitting the case. So this is the first big problem I found. I did not pull the clutch side cover but the clutch seems to be very very stiff and dose not really engage. I am able to click threw the gears rocking the bike back and forth in between shifts and then get back to neutral. The bike is missing side covers and the air box car but over all looks in really good shape.

So obviously this engine is going to have to be pulled and rebuilt but the problem I am finding is PARTS. Hard to find all that I need and very expensive. Only place I have located some of what I need is on eBay and after adding up the cost for them it’s jaw dropping.

So this brings me to my question, what would you do with this. It’s a supper cool old Yamaha Enduro but repairing the engine is going to be very costly. Would you hold onto it and hope to find a parts bike down the road to get parts or would you part the bike off and make a few bucks. I think it would be a shame to part this bike out. What would you guys do.
    First off, congrats on a cool project. But, if you are asking what I would do, seeing I have enough jobs and bikes to keep me busy, I would just do a slow and steady rebuild and take my time grabbing parts when I can find them. Or you can just drop it off here ;p

Also, besides ThumperTalk, these two resources may be of assistance:

https://www.yamaha-enduros.com/index...-it465-project

http://www.yamahait.com.au/forum/index.php

Either way, I like it!
    Last edited by Sthrnromr; 05-22-2019 at 08:38 AM.
    Gar-Man and jtomelliott49 like this.
    Offroad:
    TW200 - The Goat
    KTM 300 - Orange Dragon
    ATVs

Onroad:
    Triumphs

Way too many past bikes and builds to list. I won't bore you. Questions? Just ask.
    =)

Looks like a nice old two stroke open class leg-breaker !

Since you asked what I would do, here it is. I would try to sell it as a $500 non-running parts bike. You could easily put $1,500+ into it to get it running and you would still only have a $700 bike .

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

A TW to an IT465 - That is a big jump in power if you ever get it running.
    If you got the space go for fixing it up. I second looking at Yamaha IT - Forum - Index. I use it for info on my DT200 and I have found this site helpful https://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oemparts
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Sorry about my rambling on the start of this thread, way to much coffee this morning along with excitement over getting a free bike. I was just wordering what most would do with a bike like this. From what I have found out searching the web is these bikes are pretty rare and that they were really fun bikes to ride. I would love to own and ride this vintage machine but not sure I want to take on such a big project. Guess I am posting to help me decided on what to do. It sure would be cool to have a running it456 enduro in my stables but that would take a lot of time, money and work. Plus I think my TW is getting jealous of the attention I’m giving this bike today. Ha Ha Ha.
    ejfranz and jtomelliott49 like this.

I had a couple of these old enduros. A DT400 and an IT250. The IT was gonna take a lot of $ in parts. I'd already dropped way too much on just a kicker lever. Ended up selling it, maybe at a loss. The DT was awfully fun but also pretty clapped out. Eventually sold it for what I had in it. The sound and power is kinda addictive. Yours looks complete enough that maybe you should just start collecting engine parts. Find a parts bike or motor if possible. That IT website is a good resource. There's also https://www.yamaha-enduros.com/

That is a desired vintage enduro bike. It can be motocrossed or vintage hare scramble. Spend the money and time to set it up right or sell it as is
    Do an ad on Marks Vintage Swap meet. It's free and the guys are hardcore vintage racers there.
    Many parts will fit from the yz465.
    That bike is a beast to start and ride. I hate open bikes but people have a big facination with them
    Ask 1400
    I can tell by the non sagging foot pegs that it's relatively low hour bike
    87 TW

That's a cool bike. I'd would at least get it running and decide if that type of ride is something I'd really be using rather than just having it. Complete Day & Night from a TW.
    Of course then I'd put more $$$ into it than makes no sense but I'm an old motorcycle imbecile.

Those are in fact getting rare. Check out Kaplan Motorcycles or New England Motorcycle Museum (same thing) on youtube or their own site. They have sold a few of these in very nice condition for good money.

Here's one of their videos now. They are actually getting pretty good at making these:

Last edited by stagewex; 06-29-2019 at 06:46 AM.
    Gar-Man likes this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

Sponosred Links