What bike in addition to the TW200?
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: What bike in addition to the TW200?

What bike in addition to the TW200?

I'm sure this has been asked before, but everyone's situation is different so I'll try it again.

I'm 6'2, 240lb. Currently riding a TW200 with 2" bar risers, 55T rear sprocket, and re-jetted carb for higher elevations (5k-8k feet). I mostly ride single track mountain trails, as well as the occasional 2 track trail, dirt road, and a very small amount of on pavement riding. I use the dual sport features of the bike mostly just for riding to the trail head or between trails. I really enjoy this bike, but it's a tad on the small side for me ergonomically... I could easily handle a taller bike with my physical dimensions. I also find myself wanting for power on some of the steeper hill climbs on the single track trails that I ride in the mountains of Idaho. Even with the adjusted gearing and carb there are some climbs where the TW just runs out of squirt regardless of which gear I'm in or how much throttle I give it. I don't make it a goal to rip up the trails as fast as possible, I just like to ride at a fun and controllable pace, and then when I get to steep parts I like to be able to power up them.

I have no desire (currently) to get into racing/jumping/enduro time trials, etc. I simply am thinking that I might benefit from a bit larger bike with a bit more power when I need it. I know I need something with a good power band, and it can't be a high HP bike that has poor torque, I know I'll need the low end stuff for sure. Most of my trail riding is done in 3rd gear or below on my TW, and that's with it geared down. Along with that, a bit more ground clearance and taller seat height couldn't hurt, especially with ample ability to manage it. So, for those of you that have multiple bikes, or have experience on other bikes, I'm looking for recommendations of things to go look at. Something bigger than a TW in every way, but hopefully rides somewhat like a TW, if that makes any sense. Not interested in MX bikes or things with crazy maintenance requirements, basically just want a bigger version of the TW. Headlight and taillight are pretty much essentials, as I'd be riding this in the dark at times, and blinkers would be a nice bonus as I'll still have it on the road at least occasionally. I'm leaning toward a 4 stroke, but not entirely opposed to 2 stroke based on power they generate out of the smaller motors (like the KDX220R). I'll likely try and buy used to save some $$$, as I don't necessarily plan on selling the TW to help fund this purchase. Keeping it under $5k is the goal, and obviously the cheaper the better while still getting what I'm after.

Bikes that are on my list currently are a TTR250, WR250R, DRZ400 S and E models, CRF250X, KLX250, KLX300R, KDX220R. If you think one of those is a clear winner I'd love to hear it. Also, if there are bikes not on the list that fit the criteria I'd love to know that as well. I'm sure I've missed plenty, but those listed are the ones that seem most abundant in my area while still checking the boxes on my list and not breaking the bank.

Thanks
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

If you don't need street legal the kdx is wonderful but they're getting old now. The modern replacement is the gpx 200. Price isn't bad and they seem to be well liked. I enjoy my 2002 KTM 200 but it took a lot of work to get it to where it is now.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

I apologize for not having any input, however I'm very interested in hearing what those with experience have to say. The bikes you've listed have always captured my interest, but for a first timer (and in the 150lb range) the TW was an easy choice.
    2004 TW200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

My experience with the Kawasaki klx250s is it has nice suspension for the cost of the bike, but the motor is not much more powerful than the TW. Partly due to the very high gearing. I geared mine down and it would still do 80 plus. The one thing I remember is 1st gear was way faster then what I liked when I took it into tight trails, and to keep it in the power band the rpms had to be up a bit which caused me to have too much speed in first gear. If it was me, I’d look into the 400cc zone. That doesn’t leave a lot of machines to choose from though.
    I agree, the TW is underpowered when you need to accelerate up a steep slope with loose soil. But at 6’4 and 250, I just make due.
    1972 Yamaha DT 175, 1974 Kawasaki 125, 1976 Suzuki TM 250, 1979 Yamaha 750, 1977 Husquvarna 360, 1979 Husquvarna 250, (2) 1980 Suzuki RM 400’s, 1971 Husquvarna 400, 1983 Honda V65 Magna, 1987 Suzuki 230 Quad, 1987 TW200, 1990 TW200, 1996 Honda XR 650, 1998 Yamaha 300 King Quad, 2000 Harley Davidson Heritage, 2006 Kawasaki KLX 250s, 2007 Arctic Cat 650 Quad, 2010 Polaris Sportsman 850 Quad, 2006 Yamaha Grizzly 660 Quad, 2002 TW200, 1995 TW200, 2008 TW200, 2016 TW200.

6'2" and 240 pounds?? Sounds like it's time for a XR650L.
    WECSOG, rurlndum and jtomelliott49 like this.
    2017 XR650l
    2014 NC700X
    2005 ST-1300
    Wanted TW450

Electric...

If you are young and still do not mind grunting around a heavy bike, go with the WR250r. Strip some of the excess weight off of it and re-gear it to 12 or 13 in the front and either 48 or 50 in the rear and you will have a good bike. At 6’2” you will find it tall so you may want to shave the seat. I put a Corbin seat on my old WR250R and could just stand flat footed and I am 6’2” also. My son also 6’2” loves the WR and currently is running 13 / 50 gearing. Where he rides has some nice flow to it like Idaho. The fuel injection will be nice. I like my DT200 (street legal) 2 stroke, but the carburetor sucks at the higher elevations in Idaho.

The Husky 250 te fuel injected and oil injected 2 stroke is what you really want, but it is almost twice your price range.
    Last edited by ejfranz; 08-23-2019 at 10:08 PM.
    Fred and jtomelliott49 like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

[QUOTE=nihil;1016748]I'm eagerly awaiting this:

Yeah that looks real interesting. Guessing the price point won't be fun, but maybe it will surprise us. I'll be very curious to see more of the specs as they get closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gastone165 View Post
    My experience with the Kawasaki klx250s is it has nice suspension for the cost of the bike, but the motor is not much more powerful than the TW. Partly due to the very high gearing. I geared mine down and it would still do 80 plus. The one thing I remember is 1st gear was way faster then what I liked when I took it into tight trails, and to keep it in the power band the rpms had to be up a bit which caused me to have too much speed in first gear. If it was me, I’d look into the 400cc zone. That doesn’t leave a lot of machines to choose from though.
    I agree, the TW is underpowered when you need to accelerate up a steep slope with loose soil. But at 6’4 and 250, I just make due.
    Yeah, I've been making due as well. That's the problem, 95% of the time I can make due without NEEDING anything else. It's just that other 5% where it literally won't finish a climb that really irks me. Having to push bikes up hills really sucks....
    I feel like my gut is telling me to go with 400 or bigger as well. I guess I'm hoping that someone will tell me about a 250 or 300 that would meet my criteria, but I also "know" that I'm most likely just slow playing myself into a DRZ 400 or bigger bike.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links