Honda CRF250L - Page 6
Close

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Honda CRF250L

Quote Originally Posted by martianone View Post
    Not sure what is at the root of OP bias against a Yamaha XT250?
    His was not fuel injected
    kj7687 likes this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Quote Originally Posted by TW_in_BC View Post
    KJ, I'm curious as to what sort of "issue" there is with the CCT?
    Is it something that is easily repairable, by the average weekend grease-monkey...or is it something that needs a machine shop to press in new bushings, etc?
    Is it something that comes on slowly so that you can plan to repair it, or does it just seize solid one day when you're 100 miles from civilization?
    The answers to these questions can sway my indecision...

Likewise for the KLX, are those issues easily conquered and once fixed, is it a permanent solution?
    Furthermore...if you are that Scoot Toots fellow...you seem to be quite pleased with the CRF....
    The issue with the tensioners is essentially that they can spontaneously fail to perform their intended function (i.e. they stop applying tension to the cam chain). One can easily replace them if/when they go (for around $100 or whatever), but a cam chain with no tension on it even for a few miles can be bad (additionally, I wouldn't want an issue like that to pop up, say, in the middle of a big weekend ADV ride 200 miles from home...). Also, if you're just riding along, it's possible to not notice that problem before it has already caused damage.

You are correct that some have replaced them with manual tensioners and been happy with that. I put a manual tensioner on my KLX, but for me, it was not a solution. I found that there were problems with that setup: difficult to adjust properly (no way to really know for sure exactly how much tension is "right" and exactly how much you are actually applying by doing it manually [although there are some voodoo-magic methods like listening for how loud it is or that sort of thing...I don't buy that though, because such methods are inherently imprecise/inconsistent] -- meaning it could be too much or too little -- either of which can be problematic), the adjuster being prone to spontaneous loosening (which would be another possible source of CCT failure), too-high frequency for needed adjustments (another maintenance pain), and so on. Others may disagree, but in short, for me, the manual tensioner was worse than the also failure-prone automatic.

Indeed, I was not the owner of the Honda in that video (sorry if my post made it seem that way). I was just upset that, from my perspective at least, Honda completely destroyed an otherwise-great little bike, and can't be bothered to make it right. Some will say that I blow this sort of thing out of proportion and make it a bigger issue than it is, but for me (and it seems you feel similarly), there's just no excuse for these little nonsensical issues (or at least no excuse for manufacturers' not promptly fixing them when they do show up).
    Last edited by kj7687; 11-06-2019 at 08:08 PM.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by martianone View Post
    Not sure what is at the root of OP bias against a Yamaha XT250?
    Like mine a lot...
    Almost as playful as a TW,
    more power- cruise at 60 without over revving,
    FI- starts fine in cold weather,
    Disc brakes,
    Nice grab rail in the rear,
    Comes with better balanced tires,
    Like the seating position for a larger person,
    Step over is reasonable,
    Reasonable value for $ ?
    Understandably, some bikes and some owners just aren't a good fit...it's not a statement about the bike, or the owner...just like water and oil.
    In a nutshell, I didn't like my XT250 because:
    The carburetor was difficult to remove...almost impossible without disassembling the entire intake. If it had been FI, it might have changed my perspective.
    I didn't like the way the front sprocket was held on by a replaceable washer....every other bike I've owned had a permanent retainer.
    The PO had gutted the exhaust so that it had a really irritating exhaust note...especially on decel!
    The PO claimed the OEM toolkit was included...it wasn't.
    It had no more discernible power than the XT225 I owned prior.
    The seating ergonomics reminded me of the Sherpa I owned a few years earlier...I couldn't ride for more than an hour at a time without my knees hurting.
    It was more of an impulse purchase, than a well though-out and researched investment...and because of the issues listed, it fell out of favour quickly.

I know that some of these "reasons" are lame...but that's just the way it is.
    The XT250 may be a great bike for some people...but I am not one of them.
    2008 TW200
    Southwest corner of BC Canada

YouTube channel: Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kj7687 View Post
    I was just upset that, from my perspective at least, Honda completely destroyed an otherwise-great little bike, and can't be bothered to make it right. Some will say that I blow this sort of thing out of proportion and make it a bigger issue than it is, but for me (and it seems you feel similarly), there's just no excuse for these little nonsensical issues (or at least no excuse for manufacturers' not promptly fixing them when they do show up).
    I hear you...that is why I wouldn't buy another Suzuki, least of all another DR650

They built the 98-99 DR650 without a starter clutch torque limiter, such that on occasion...any kickback at shutdown would destroy the gear-bearing bosses.
    They put the upper chain roller in a position that is prone to breakage (while taking a piece of the frame with it).
    The NSU issue hadn't been addressed until 2017...mine was a 2010 and the screws were loosened to finger-tightness by 11000 kms. That's at least SEVEN YEARS that Suzuki knew of a problem and ignored it.
    The drive shaft seal was prone to ejecting itself without warning. The aftermarket developed a seal-retainer while Suzuki did nothing...until "recently".
    The Primary reduction gear crank nut also developed a habit of working itself loose....again, less than 2¢ of threadlocker at the factory would solve this...
    And last, but certainly not least is the dreaded 3rd gear issue that has affected a number of bikes but again, Suzuki does nothing. Apparently, 2017's to present are known to shatter a retaining clip that holds 3rd gear to the shaft...whether this is a bad batch of clips or the fault of some ham-fisted installer, it remains a problem that hasn't been addressed by the company. I suspect (but have no proof) that it is this breaking clip that allows 3rd gear to slide freely along the driveshaft and come into contact with other gears...leading to the "3rd Gear failure" that has been documented.

Too many known and unaddressed issues for me to have any faith in buying another one...or any other Suzuki product.

Again...YMMV.
    Chip likes this.
    2008 TW200
    Southwest corner of BC Canada

YouTube channel: Hidden Content

I have a Rally and like it but don't like how tall the seat feels when getting on and off. I used to have a KLR650 and the Rally seems taller for some reason. I've never ridden 2-up on it. I don't think it would pull up much of a hill on the highway while toting a passenger without getting dragged down to about 50 mph. I'm surrounded by freeways so to take my TW out to the dirt roads I have to trailer it. I take the Rally when I'm not in the trailering mood. I like how reliable Honda's seem to be. I can only stay in the saddle for about 7 hours on the Rally in any one day so I haven't ventured very far from home yet (200 - 300 miles) but with each trip, it and I, seem to get along better and better so next summer I'm planning several 2-3 day rides (400-600 mile loops). Can't wait to see how well it does on a longer trip.

I'm excited to maybe try one of those new KTM 390 adventure bikes when they hit the market. It sounds like a bike I could range farther from home on without coming home tired and beat.

I give the Rally an "A" grade so far but that's the same grade I give to most Honda's I've owned.
    littletommy likes this.
    Bikes I Currently Own:
    • 2007 Honda Sabre 1100
    • 2013 Yamaha TW200 (First Yam I've ever owned.)
    • 2014 Honda Grom (Why? I say, "Why not".)
    • 2017 Honda Rally (Because sometimes there's a freeway between me and the dirt road.)
      and, I just added a 2016 Honda Recon

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Sponosred Links