313CC BMW ADV bike? Hmm...
Close

313CC BMW ADV bike? Hmm...

I think a lot of us are familiar with Rally Raid products and what they've done for the CB500X. I just found a video of a very nice looking, kitted out BMW G310GS -- spoked wheels, proper ADV-looking suspension/stance, armor, etc. At probably 400 pounds wet with this setup, it would be JUST inside my personal absolute maximum in terms of bikes I'd ever be willing to do any serious off road riding with. As with every bike, there are going to be pros and cons for sure, but it is an interesting idea and could be worth a little more pointed research to determine viability as a (RELATIVELY!) lightweight ADV platform. It certainly looks nice! Have a look (the picture of the kitted version comes up just a few seconds into the hour-long video).

Here are a couple of other videos that look quite interesting (disclaimer: I haven't watched any of them yet, but they have certainly piqued my interest, and I like what I've seen so far!):

Last edited by kj7687; 10-31-2019 at 03:45 AM.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Senior Member Michael Bryce Winnick's Avatar
    Kj7687 I was on the fence about buying one of these. If you search an earlier post of mine a few guys with in the seat experience chimed in as well as provided me with a link or two to some reviews. One review was thorough to beat all hell. It was a southern California ride through the canyons, PCH, Ventura Fwy., etc. I was looking at that bike because the speed limits on U.S. 2 and M-28 (Upper peninsula of Michigan) bumped up to 65 which translates into 70 with 18 wheelers and tourists and I wanted more bike under me than the TW for my coastline rides that the TW lives for. I did not get the bike as I already have too many, but the reviews and guys on this site were a big help. There is more to this bike than an inexpensive way to tell people that you have a BMW (which stands for bring more wallet). Go beyond the snub (I ride a Bonneville with a T in the vin that stands for Thailand so some call it a Thaiumph). Guys will also tell you that a Ducati scrambler is not a Ducati. The Ducati 800 scrambler and the G310GS to me is a hard choice. Yes, I am a Triumph guy. As a matter of pure feel, I found the Ducati more nimble/agile than the Triumph scrambler. Again, I have 3 bikes and I just shop and decide not to buy. That makes more sense.

Seems kind of sad. You have to buy the bike and then buy an after market kit and install it. Farkling is fun but in this case it's not a choice.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Michael Bryce Winnick's Avatar
    Xracer said what I wanted to, but didn't. I am all for buying a base bike because I am modifying it as far as my budget and sense of humor will tolerate. This bike is not a matter of wants. This bike is a matter of needs after a hefty downstroke. You should not have to bring more wallet twice. I never want to dissuade a rider from buying a machine that he/she likes or offending a rider on this site that already bought one. Words are my tools and I use them carefully. This bike is marginal at purchase and only highly functional after a great deal of time and money is put into it after the buy.

You guys do make a good point about the RR kit being required. The stock bike just isn't going to cut it unless all you want to do is street. As a pure street bike, I reckon the stock bike is mediocre, and there are better choices -- like a Honda CB500 for about the same money, or a Yamaha R3 for a few hundred less. So yea, I'd say get something else for pure street use for sure. Otherwise, one would have to pony up and make the BMW into a real Adventure bike -- something to the tune of around $9,500 to $10,000 after all is said and done. The full-spec RR bike is what BMW should build from the factory (they can call it the G310GS Adventure) and sell for an extra $1,400 or so over the current MSRP. But unfortunately it isn't taken seriously because of the small engine (even though that's a big part of what makes it -- in my mind at least -- much more legitimate as an actual adventure bike). BMW is "funny" like that: it has dabbled in more serious off road machines on and off over the years, but the company never seems to get it quite right or really seriously commit to something like that. It seems the gigantic monstrosities are the only true focus, which is too bad. Personally, I've never really seen the appeal of a 600 pound off road machine with only two wheels...

Anyway, I do at least like the IDEA of the bike quite a bit. As for it being a practical choice or legitimate option, I don't know. In the right circumstances, maybe...
    Last edited by kj7687; 10-31-2019 at 03:35 PM.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Sponosred Links