1983 XT250. Is it worth it?
Close

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By qwerty
  • 4 Post By GIFUTW
  • 2 Post By gutterboy2ca

Thread: 1983 XT250. Is it worth it?

1983 XT250. Is it worth it?

A guy here is selling an old xt250. It's got about 20000 miles on the meter. It needs some tlc for sure but it runs nice. I think the tires and chain are the only things that need immediate replacement. Is it worth the $250 he is asking?
    I cant figger out how to upload the photo from my iphone but it looks pretty bad cosmetically. It's got a red frame and he's done a craptastic job of trying to paint the plastics and tank matte black. Mechanically it seems sound though. Does this bike like to blow the base gasket like the dub? My dub refuses to hold oil. I musta changed that damn gasket 4 times in 2.5 years.

Anything that rides right and needs only a tire, chain, and sprockets (chain and sprockets should be replaced as a set), is worth $250. Bikes like this are the best dollar value going.

Peterb likes this.

UPDATE
    It's been a little more than a year and a couple grand at least but the XT is finally back in great working order.

Original condition
    The tires were so bald it was like I lined up both of my grandpas. The tubes were about to fall apart. It was leaking various oil from too many places to remember. The sprockets were threadbare and the chain was stiff as a cadaver. The grip ends were busted. The fender and headlight shroud were cracked and crumbling from years in the sun. The horn button CRUMBLED OFF when I pushed it. The front brake line was so rusted and the cam was so worn out that it was utterly useless. The clutch wire was the same. The tach wire was missing. The paint on the cyinder was all flaked and nasty. The muffler had a couple extra rust holes around the proper hole. Oh yeah, the speedometer worked but the lights bulbs were dead and the trip meter knob, you guessed it, had ceased to exist. But after riding a TW for 3 years damn was that bike fast! And it started on the first kick every time. So after riding it home 150 miles in that condition, I decided to reward the XT with all the TLC I could afford it.

Current condition
    Basically I replaced everything that was broken with new parts where necessary and old OEM parts or XT225 parts off yahoo auctions where possible. My favorite parts improvements are the DMO specialties pegs. William was so helpful and generous and made the pegs custom for me at no extra charge. The left side is exactly the same as the TW, but the right side is about a centimeter lower than the TW if I remember correct. Basically the pegs are a left right mirror image. Other improvements, I couldn't find a rack for the old XT, so I got a XT225 rack and some cheap brackets from the hardware store and bolted it onto the rear fender loop, it's solid. I had a basic baja designs headlight on it for the longest time because the headlight shroud on the stock light was falling apart. Finally replaced that and wow what a difference. The stock headlight is perfectly bright compared to that shitty aftermarket light. Oh and the tank paint job. I used a wire brush on the drill to get it down to bare metal. It's just rattle can acrylic finished off with urethane but I'm really happy with the results. Especially the retro style logo which i tried to emulate from the original 1970s logo. I made it in MS word and printed it on some special laminated sticker film. A lot cheaper than an authentic original decal and more fun to make. The brakes and clutch finally work again because I just put new lines, brake shoes, and a new cam & return spring in the front. Most recent modification is the mud from last night's "scenic route" detour on the way home from work. IMG_8213.JPGIMG_8214.JPG
    Borneo, jb882, Gulfrider and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Nice work. An amazing transformation.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Very nice work. you did an amazing job.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

my collection

yes, great work,i resurected a couple old 94 XT-350 last year for fun,had a ball,but holy heck those bikes are Tall"" i'm 5'7" 165, i could barely touch tiptoes,and no elect start, i'm spoiled now,haha
    heres pic of 1 of 2 of the XT-350's from last summer,my current TTR-225,current TW-200,last years TW-200 rebuild,and a 1986 TTR-225 i'm looking at buying for $900,but haven,t pulled trigger yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GIFUTW and Peterb like this.

Thanks for sharing gutterboy! I enjoyed the pix.

rbm
    Nice project! I like CHEAP easy projects! The end result will give you many years of good riding.

Wish I could find something like that around here. Not many dirt bikes in a sugar sand area.

Sponosred Links