Rear Disk Break? Feel Like It....
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have wanting to do this project for about a year and finally got a 2003 TTR 225 rear brake lever. The stock TW lever is 4 1/2"long and 3 1/8" from center of the brake mounting stud or what is called the break camshaft to the center of the break rod. The TTR 225 is 5 3/4" long and 4 1/2" break camshaft to the center of the break rod. All that to say with this change I have 1 3/8" more leverage applied to the breaks than before. With the Terra Cross 26-9-14 and me 255# and what I carry I had to really apply foot pressure to slow and stop all that weight. Now with the new TTR break lever the amount of foot pressure is minimal. FEEL LIKE A DISK BREAK TO ME! There is some work to this. The TTR lever is a little thicker at the break camshaft and some filing of the splines to mount the lever position further to the rear of the bike due to curved TTR lever. Very happy with this.

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv147/ronnydog/P7260077.jpg[/img][img]

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv147/ronnydog/P7260071.jpg[/img]

quote name='ronnydog' date='30 July 2010 - 08:16 AM' timestamp='1280506607' post='683']

I have wanting to do this project for about a year and finally got a 2003 TTR 225 rear brake lever. The stock TW lever is 4 1/2"long and 3 1/8" from center of the brake mounting stud or what is called the break camshaft to the center of the break rod. The TTR 225 is 5 3/4" long and 4 1/2" break camshaft to the center of the break rod. All that to say with this change I have 1 3/8" more leverage applied to the breaks than before. With the Terra Cross 26-9-14 and me 255# and what I carry I had to really apply foot pressure to slow and stop all that weight. Now with the new TTR break lever the amount of foot pressure is minimal. FEEL LIKE A DISK BREAK TO ME! There is some work to this. The TTR lever is a little thicker at the break camshaft and some filing of the splines to mount the lever position further to the rear of the bike due to curved TTR lever. Very happy with this.

I could not get all the pics in there so one more.

Ronnydog

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv147/ronnydog/P7260077.jpg[/img][

Basic mechanical advantage from eight grade science, so simple!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

And someone said. With a long enough lever I can move the world. Or get better brakes on my Dub.

Is a "disk break" anything like a Disc Brake??

Ronnie,

Did the splines fit as-is in the normal configuration?

In other words, do you think it would be would it be a bolt-on with a normal length swingarm and brake rod?

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Ronnie,

Did the splines fit as-is in the normal configuration?

In other words, do you think it would be would it be a bolt-on with a normal length swingarm and brake rod?

The lever needs to be set back about 2 splines due to the curve in it. Yes it will fit with a normal swingarm and break rob. (Good to talk to U yesterday)

Ronnydog

Quote Originally Posted by ronnydog View Post
    The lever needs to be set back about 2 splines due to the curve in it. Yes it will fit with a normal swingarm and break rob. (Good to talk to U yesterday)

Ronnydog

Always a pleasure, sir.

A (slightly) longer front lever might help for those with smallish hands or low hand strength as well on a drum front end as long as you didn't get stupid. I'm already considering a cut-and-weld on the S.O.'s clutch arm, same idea might be applied to a brake arm.

I'm still running around with that bigarsed tire on an unmodified swingarm. Once it's extended I'll find myself a TTR lever.

Good thinking.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Great to know Ronnydog. Given the extra weight that has pretty much become a part of my bike now, your discovery should a real plus for me. Thanks!! Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

After installation did you test it under panic stop situations? Any chance of the splines stripping or the arm bending? I agree my back brake is anemic at best, and so I'm very interested in this mod as long as it doesn't give me a false sense of security at an inopportune time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links