Dual sprocket ?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Dual sprocket ?

Dual sprocket ?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but after a few hours of reading I still haven't found the answer. For you guys running dual sprockets front and back, is there enough room to fit two chains side by side? Yes, I would like to run two chains. I'm thinking 15/47-15/47. I know this will do nothing for my bike but looks, but I like the look of dual chains and would be willing to give it a go if it looks possible. Thanks for any info.

2006 TW200 Bobber build.
    Using Tapatalk

So, stupid question?

2006 TW200 Bobber build.
    Using Tapatalk

I haven't seen any double wide chains but I've seen a few Harley's and a triumph running double chains and it looks sic. Not something you notice right away, but once you do you can't keep your eyes off it. It's really just for looks, but I really like the look. Ya I've read that thread, and from looking at the pictures it doesn't look like there is enough room, but I could be wrong. Thanks Croatoan, I'd like to give it a try too but I also don't want to waste my time if it's not possible.

2006 TW200 Bobber build.
    Using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Gerry is probably the only one who can even answer this question, I'm a little bug eyed from rereading that thread again, but I think he's the only one who has done the double double. I realize that the way most guys have their sprockets set up you could never get two chains on there. But they are trying to keep them as close as possible so that their chains are straight in either gear. What I'm wondering is; is there enough room front and back to space the sprockets a little more wide so you could fit 2 o-ring chains side by side?

2006 TW200 Bobber build.
    Using Tapatalk

Croatoan, at least you have a pay grade. Lol.

2006 TW200 Bobber build.
    Using Tapatalk

Mr Gizmo has a double front, double rear sprocket setup. Follow his path but use the same size sprockets in the front and the same size sprockets in the rear and it can work. A dual chain setup may eat a bit more horse power.
    Joe

Joe, thanks for the reply. I worried that I'll get half way through and run into clearance issues. Tire, swing arm or the cover. If someone who's done it could take a look and say "ya there's probably enough room to space that out another 1/4"". I'd be all over it, and I wouldn't hold it against them if it didn't work out. I know when your moddin it doesn't always work, but I don't want to jump in with my eyes closed either.

2006 TW200 Bobber build.
    Using Tapatalk

Hey Slayer,

At first, I just blew off your post as a stupid question but then I decided to take a close look at my dual rear sprocket setup. It is definitely doable!

Here are what I feel would be your major challenges. Your second front sprocket would have to be mounted inboard of the stock sprocket, as I do not think there would be clearance for it on the outboard side. I have never done a dual front sprocket, so you'll have learn from Mr. Gizmow's (Gerry's) experiences. The rear dual sprockets can probably be spaced far enough apart if you were to use non o-ring chains (of course this means you would have to deal with the frequent adjustments that would be required for these two chains - hopefully they would wear/stretch equally). To use two o-ring chains, you may have to machine some material off of the sprocket mounting flange on the rear hub in order to get enough separation between the two rear sprockets for the wider o-ring chains.

I understand your desire to do a mod just because it looks cool, so if you want to try it then I say go for it!

Here's a variation on your idea that I think would be totally useless but would look super cool. Figure out the combination of maximum spread in sizes of both front and rear sprocket that will allow both the chains to rotate the rear wheel at an equal speed, while each individual chain travels at different speeds. Now that would be much more interesting to watch than two chains running in parallel at the same speed. Let me know when you that version running!

(Sorry about initially blowing you off!)

Brian
    Last edited by TW-Brian; 05-22-2014 at 10:51 PM.
    Gerry likes this.

Ohhh. Thanks Croatoan. I never even thought of the chain slider. Hmmm.

2006 TW200 Bobber build.
    Using Tapatalk

Holy cow Brian, I'm having enough trouble wrapping my head around parallel chains. I won't get anything done at work tomorrow thinking about that one. Thanks for getting back to me on this, I know a lot of questions get asked on forums and it get monotonous after a while, so no biggie on the blow off.

2006 TW200 Bobber build.
    TW-Brian and Guitarfxer like this.
    Using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links