thinking atv rear - yes, no, maybe?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: thinking atv rear - yes, no, maybe?

thinking atv rear - yes, no, maybe?

Need to replace my 1987 tw304 and am thinking about going to an atv rear. Been reading all the old threads and it sounds pretty awesome but a little sketchy on the install. I guess the duro power grip is probably the best option. Any input is welcome. Not really interested in having one blow up on me, but probably ready to give one a shot. Thanks

If you do mostly offroad I would not hesitate. I haven't put my atv tire on yet because I ride mine on the street more these days. The kaboom sees alot of dirt. The tw rear tire really sucks in mud and that is my reasoning for having the atv tire sitting by. Plus they just look awesome!
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

FYI I put a maxxis bighorn on mine and love it. When over inflating to mount it I mitigated the risk by putting about 5 tie downs on the tire radially. It took 90 psi to pop it on. If I did it again I would scrape sand or otherwise remove more material from the bead.
    Greg

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The only thing I don't like about my Bighorn is I can't change the inner tube on the trail if I get a flat. I've read the threads, but still wonder if people put a ATV tire on without having to extend the swing arm. I extended mine and don't see how you could install a ATV tire without extending the swing arm.
    "keep it punched"

Ive got a Maxxis Ceros on my rear. BIG lugs but rides like a car tire on the pavement. I didnt extend the swingarm either, although i intend to for suspension purposes. As for flats, mine went flat while i was at work because apparently i pierced the tube when installing the tire. I didnt notice it until i went around a roundabout and the back end felt a lil odd. Also, changing a flat on the is impossible with an ATV tire because of the dimensions of the rim and bead. I read somewhere on here that motorcycle and cars rims both 14" differ to thwart putting a car tire on a bike. Not trying to discourage you but it isnt an easy task. It took 3 grown men to get mine on and a hydraulic press to release the bead when i realized i put it on backwards the first time. Oops!With that being said, im very happy with the results and am looking for a way to get a TW200 rear swingarm/wheel on the back of my XT350.

search in performance and customization for tire related threads, lots of them. Here is my quick two cents. Go for it
    I got a Duro since it A) didn't seem to need swing arm extension and could be limped home @ zero psi after a flat.
    Downsides? A) trimming of bead helps installation which is still a bitch. Heat and time are better safe installation aids than high pressure (<70psi)
    Same stiff flat enduring sidewall is not as compliant as a BigHorn thus slightly inferior handling and ultimate low psi traction on rocks
    C) Square profile feels initially odd as you transition from flat tread to sidewalls in corners.
    D) Gearing changes advisable since tire is taller thus new longer chain and sprocket.
    E) Fuel milage suffers significantly. I get 50 mpg with 13 tooth front sprocket and a 55 tooth rear (admittedly granny-low for my steep, slow trails)

I love my Duro 26x8x14. I had the Yamaha dealer install it for me. It took them multiple high pressure inflations and a day or two sitting out in the California sun in order to get bead to seat. I ride at least 80% on road and have the stock swingarm. The Duro has such a stiff sidewall that I am pretty confident that I could limp out on it if I got a puncture off road. If I ever have to replace it, I will let the pros do it again.

100_3388.JPG

Even running over the edge of the tire with my Jeep couldn't break the bead on mine when I had a flat.
    "keep it punched"

Thanks guys. I think I'm gonna go for it. My 87 will be mostly off road, probably don't need it for the stuff I ride but I like the challenge and the look is way cool. Is the duro the easiest as far as fitment goes? Kinda like that maxxis cerros too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    Fred likes this.

Read some more old threads. The itp terracross 26x8x14 looks awesome too. Anyone currently running one? Sounds like that one definitely needs the bead trimmed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links