The story of a Tdub refurbish
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: The story of a Tdub refurbish

The story of a Tdub refurbish

One day, whilst looking for a new car, comes the idea that cars are very expensive to replace. What if there was another mode of transportation that could stretch out the span between car purchases? How about a scooter. One that can go 55 mph, is reliable and etc, etc. What about a Honda Helix?

Okay, its as ugly as it could possibly be, but that is a theft deterrent, no? Rumination and research ensue, followed by running it by partner who used to ride motorcycles.

Proposal met with alarm! The many dangers of two wheels and four wheels intermingling strikes fear into hearts! Prospects sink into a bog of relational complexities. And its a scooter, which does not help with relational complexities. Then, Persistence throws lifeline to Prospects and a new proposal arises...

PUWM(puts up with me): "Before you ride on the street, you should learn to ride on dirt. It will teach you how to handle a bike."
    Weebles: "I don't think a Helix will do very well in dirt."
    PUWM: "You could learn to ride on a dirt bike, and if you like riding then you could sell it to get something for the street."
    Weebles: "Grrr...mumble, grumble."
    PUWM: "Or you could get a dual sport."
    Weebles: "They are All Way Too Tall."
    PUWM calmly: "What about a TW200?"
    Weebles: " Let me write that down."

And then I found the forum. And that cinched the deal.

With limited funds the search was on. Months seemed to pass, nothing turned up within budget despite diligent searching by both parties. One prospect appeared, a chance to glimpse the "little" bike. My first reaction? It was a big bike. Much bigger than I thought it would be. Intimidatingly so. I thought "little" meant, well, not very large.

Too much work needed on that one to stay in budget, so more searching until one day, a couple of hours after exhausting every list of bikes for sale within reach...

Weebles says, in a tone of voice she now deeply regrets: "Are we buying a bike today?"
    PUWM with confusion: "There aren't any to...Uh, I'll check again."

And there it was, posted 20 minutes before, a running '88 with 5200 miles for $500 an hour and a half away. We were the first caller, and yes he would hold it until we got there.

With any luck a picture of it will appear now.

49cedd61-fd77-47d5-9ff3-b2b96cbb7135_zps8be88b2e.jpg

Well, it needed a bit of work.

More to follow, but off to rest now.
    littletommy, Fred, admiral and 3 others like this.

Looks like a lot of life is still in that '88. If money is really tight there are often some simple affordable solutions. For example you can recover your seat yourself with a staplegun and scrap of neoprene from fabric store. Clean, adjust, lube, tighten as necessary should solve most issues. I would add LucasDeep Cleaner , or Seafoam to fuel to help clean carburator.
    Comgragulations.

Looks cool!
    I dig the retro colours! Best of luck and keep us posted!

Edit:
    Your other half sounds like a keeper!
    Last edited by Mr.Paynter; 05-30-2014 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Added
    Fred likes this.
    Finally picked up a Tdub...

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

rbm
    Hello and welcome! Congrats!

WOW! I thought I had the rattiest 88 on the forum.

I do hope your find is in better shape than mine once you get in to it. Mine only has 1900 miles on it but the PO was a complete butcher and never heard of maintenance. I have spent a small fortune bringing it back and it runs and rides perfect now with just about everything new but my frame is still rattle can flat black with lots of over spray all over other parts. Still a rat but with a complete new wiring harness, new tires, tubes, Ride On balancer/puncture protectant in them plus all new sprockets, seals and gasket and X ring chain and rebuilt carb and a cleaned and sealed tank it is ready to ride.

You have a project in front of you and I will be happy to help in any way I can. Please go read my thread in the Tech section, How to bring back a sitting TW.

Here she is today!

GaryL
    Last edited by GaryL; 05-30-2014 at 06:36 AM.
    Fred likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

The rest of the story.

Thank you for all the encouragement. Sorry, I should have explained that this tale began last fall. It has taken me a long time to figure out how to start a thread and add pics.

GaryL. Great thread about bringing back sitting bikes. I have read so many, many threads throughout the process of getting the bike up and running properly. Thank you every single person who has taken the time to share what they know. There is such an abundance of knowledge, generosity, willingness to help and enthusiasm that I found the needed answers to every question by searching the current and old forum. I did the research, and lots of it, but I am not responsible for the wrenching and understanding of motorcycles that brought mine back to life in a short time.

Mr Paynter, your are right about the other half being a keeper. Were it not for his skills, this project bike would have gone to another home.

Without further ado, here is what was done.

At first the bike would barely idle. It would idle up, then down, then cut out completely without throttle input. The lights would cycle with the idle speed. When it got to the bottom end of the cycle, an ominous clunking sound occurred. Couldn't tell if something was damaged, was being damaged. It backfired under throttle. After much searching for the source of the "clunk"
    it all turned out to be the carb/fuel related. Once that was straightened out, the above symptoms disappeared.

Carb: complete overhaul. Diaphragm good. Main jet slightly reamed and needle shimmed. At the time, I didn't understand carbs or what each part did. After reading Mr. Bracket's excellent thread testing different needles including stock, I came to understand that the pilot is set lean, but the main jet is actually slightly rich at low altitudes. (I think I understood that rightly.)
    So my advice at the time about having a bigger main jet was probably incorrect. Will check the spark plug soon to see. Got the pilot screw extension and it is set at 2.5 turns out. Idle adjusted.

Repair and Maintenance:

Emptied old gas out of tank and inspected tank
    Replaced fuel and vent lines
    Clutch and throttle cables lubed and adjusted
    Wheel bearings inspected
    Valves inspected, in spec
    Inspected cam chain and adjusted
    Generator cleaned and inspected, new gasket (this may be called the stator, can't remember right now.)
    Oil completely drained and replaced with new filter (four holes!)

SNV30345_zps639b27be.jpg

Installed new o-ring chain and sprockets, old 14/60 (stump puller), new 14/55. Sprockets were a long discussion.

SNV30380_zps95b6d67c.jpg

Replaced snorkel foam under the seat
    Snugged up loose spokes until they had a pitch rather than a thud sound. (I did this! I was so proud.)
    Buffed plastics and light covers ( I helped, but the parts he did were always shinier.)

Parts replaced not already mentioned:

New battery
    New bowl gasket
    New air filter
    New levers
    New seat cover
    New grips, not installed until sure about keeping stock bars.

And one thing just for fun. Perhaps a carryover from my mis-spent youth.

SNV30378_zpse77611d2.jpg
    SNV30377_zps6e11b633.jpg

I put the passenger strap back on the seat. It bothered him because he's tall, but he got so excited about the whole thing that he got his own dual-sport!

I got it registered yesterday. I still need a couple of turn signals, mirrors, and new tires for street use. I have read a lot of tire threads recently.

Once all that is done, I'll go for my license. Lots of riding nearby in the mountains on forestry roads if the bike is street legal. Not so much if it isn't. I can't wait to get out there!

Thanks again everyone, it wouldn't have been anywhere near as much fun without the forum.
    fishguy, tcepilot and Fred like this.
    1988 TW200, 14/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, pilot screw extension 2.5 turns out, main jet slightly reamed, Shinko 241

Rin's law of addition: "If you take anything in the world (fear, love, widgets...anything) and add to it, then there will be more."

Looking rather nice Weeb. I love the black on red colors and can't figure out why my PO ever sprayed the frame. If I decide not to sell this one I just might do the cosmetics this winter and get it back to the Black Widow colors like yours.

One thing you said has me a bit confused, actually two things related. New tires for street use? 14/55 sprockets and riding on forestry roads. These things are all personal preference of course but tires make a major difference when you get off pavement. Your sprockets are a good selection for off road but not so good for pavement if you need to do a lot at 50 MPH. Road tires do not do all that well off road while the stock rear and a Shinko golden boy up front work great in both conditions. Chose wisely here but the 14/55 gearing deserves off road worthy tires. I had the stock tires on both my TWs and followed the advice of many here and put the Shinko up front. It is a difference hard to beat and feels better on the pavement and absolutely fantastic off road. Perfect set up for the 14/55 lower gearing you have.

Blinkers are easy to find on the auction site but make sure you get the right ones. Fronts have 3 wires and rears have 2.

More pics when you get r done!

GaryL
    Fred likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Nicely done, I just recently brought a 92 back to life also. It was a learning experience, and a lot of fun to do! I took mine up to my cabin when I finished it. I have two other bikes, but i am keeping my eye out for another fixer upper to keep at my house. So I don't have to go a week or two without a TW in my life... I'm going to try and post a before and after.image.jpgimage.jpg
    Weebles and tcepilot like this.

Nice Rob! Were the wheels in the before pic black or just filthy?

GaryL

Yes GaryL, it is confusing. 14/55 was finally chosen because I am yielding to the good intentions of The One Who Wishes To Protect Me From Harm.

Originally, I was to remain off of public roads until gaining skills and experience. I see the wisdom in that. It may be a while before my riding skills are up to snuff. 14/55 was chosen for learning on available Forest Service roads and single track. At some point, when skills requirements are met and I begin using the bike to commute, the rear sprocket may need to be changed to something more appropriate. Probably back to stock gearing as I am fairly light and that will be fine, I think.

As for tires, well the dry rotted stock rear is being replaced with another stock. Right now I am leaning toward the Shinko SR 241. The Motorcycle Superstore listing for this tire states "**Note: Tire may feature the Golden Boy lettering on sidewall." Is this the one you mean?

This tire is reported to be a softer rubber tire. For now, I would gladly trade a possibly shorter life span for greater surefootedness both on and off pavement. Trying to gather as much information about this tire as I can as it is one of the less expensive options.

My thanks to everyone who has posted about tires and reported on them.
    Fred likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links