Modify stock mirrors on a TW to make them more low-pro?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Modify stock mirrors on a TW to make them more low-pro?

Modify stock mirrors on a TW to make them more low-pro?

Im new here so not sure if this has come up before but... i just bought a brand new 2013 TW and one of the first things I want to modify is the mirrors. As im looking for new low profile mirrors i cant find anything I like. I thought about cutting down the stock mirrors and running a die over the stock mirror post to shorten them and just re-install them that way? Has anyone done this and is it functional? Basically can you see behind you or will my arms just be in the way?

seeing as how the stock mirrors are better at getting my shoulders than the road behind, i'd guess chopping them would not work well.
    i have the fancy folding ones and while they look cool and are durable, they are really buzzy.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I WISH there were TALLER mirrors, stock and aftermarket. All I can see is my shoulder, unless I contort myself, both on my DT and the aftermarket one I put on the WR426. Diane seems happy with the DT mirror I put on her TW.
    If you DO decide to cut and re-thread, check to see if the thread on one side is reversed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

@NavyChief, have you considered bar-end mirrors? They take a little getting used to but when I've ridden with them they work.
    Otherwise everything seems like it's going to give you less visibility.
    Finally picked up a Tdub...

Quote Originally Posted by joeband View Post
    seeing as how the stock mirrors are better at getting my shoulders than the road behind, i'd guess chopping them would not work well.
    i have the fancy folding ones and while they look cool and are durable, they are really buzzy.
    Which folding mirrors are you using? Doubletakes @ $47.95 or the folding dualsport [email protected] $22.95
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!

2005 BMWR12GS Rock Red 106k miles
    2013 TW200 - 8k- miles
    2018 X-MAX - 6k- miles

If you can find some wr250 mirrors they would be exactly what you are wanting to make. Side benefit is the arm and the mirror are both black. The wr250 has the reversed threads already.
    "I am simply a guy trying to master a very simple machine with very complex dynamics"

MSF Rider coach

I thought about those but all the ones i see out there look flimsy. probably what i'll get though, i do like the option to tuck them away when i don't need them.. thanks.

glad you said that, i just realized that they are reversed on one side. I didn't remember that as took them off last week and i was in a hurry. that would have pissed me off. Thanks brother!

Yea i have considered them. just not sure what i want to do yet. i know I'm not going to use the stock ones so I figured id shorten them and see how i liked them before id spend any money. If i don't like them ill just throw them away. My first choice might be fold down because i like the look without mirrors but can still pull them up when i need them. Bar-end would be my second choice for sure. Thanks though.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAG View Post
    Which folding mirrors are you using? Doubletakes @ $47.95 or the folding dualsport [email protected] $22.95
    the doubletakes. it has taken numerous falls, but like i said it is very buzzy, where as the stock mirror is rock solid. ??
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links