Hardwiring GPS?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Hardwiring GPS?

Hi guys,

I am sure this topic has been done over countless times on the old forum but I am having trouble finding the info. I have a Garmin Etrex Summit GPS and a 12 volt car adapter. Am I able to just directly wire that to the battery terminals? Or is wiring a fuse also advisable?

I appreciate the advice,

Matt

You can wire it in directly to the battery and use a fuse inline. That's what I did.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-

If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
    - Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Hi guys,

I am sure this topic has been done over countless times on the old forum but I am having trouble finding the info. I have a Garmin Etrex Summit GPS and a 12 volt car adapter. Am I able to just directly wire that to the battery terminals? Or is wiring a fuse also advisable?

I appreciate the advice,

Matt
    A fuse near the battery is always recommended. The wire could vibrate against any part of the bike between the battery and the handlebars and short out. Not good for your battery or bikes wiring. Might even catch fire.

Always fuse. PLEASE!
    Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Hi guys,

I appreciate the advice,

Matt

Battery Tender (a great little 'smart' battery charger) has a line of accessories: http://batterytender...essories-1.html

The ring terminal harness: http://batterytender...al-harness.html Black Quick Disconnect. For 12 volt models only. Contains a 3 amp fuse. 2 ft. long. will allow you to have a permanently mounted line that you can use to hook up the battery charger or other items, including a female cigarette lighter socket you can plug in your Garmin, air compressor, etc... : http://batterytender...ug-adaptor.html it doesn't list the length, so you'd have to contact them to see if between the two you will have the length you'll need to reach your mounting point. I'm pretty sure they use a standard-type male and female plugs that you can probably get at an auto supply store, so you could also likely make your own "custom" length extension cords too.

I'm using the ring terminal harness so I don't have to remove the seat in order to keep my battery charged up.

Corey
    two 2009 TWs, Ricochet skidplates, Moose Racing 'Expedition' rack (like a Borrega), DID 428V O-ring chains, DMoto2 -style black steel footpegs from eBay

Extremely helpful, thanks Corey.

Quote Originally Posted by HenryJ View Post
    You can wire it in directly to the battery and use a fuse inline. That's what I did.

I hardwired a 12V plug to the bike so that I can plug different things in.

Quote Originally Posted by tw1994 View Post
    I hardwired a 12V plug to the bike so that I can plug different things in.
    Also a good idea.

I have one of those as well. It could be used for a small compressor (Slime) , to charge the cell phone or for the Ipod.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-

If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
    - Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppy View Post
    Battery Tender (a great little 'smart' battery charger) has a line of accessories: http://batterytender...essories-1.html

The ring terminal harness: http://batterytender...al-harness.html Black Quick Disconnect. For 12 volt models only. Contains a 3 amp fuse. 2 ft. long. will allow you to have a permanently mounted line that you can use to hook up the battery charger or other items, including a female cigarette lighter socket you can plug in your Garmin, air compressor, etc... : http://batterytender...ug-adaptor.html it doesn't list the length, so you'd have to contact them to see if between the two you will have the length you'll need to reach your mounting point. I'm pretty sure they use a standard-type male and female plugs that you can probably get at an auto supply store, so you could also likely make your own "custom" length extension cords too.

I'm using the ring terminal harness so I don't have to remove the seat in order to keep my battery charged up.

Corey

Hi,

I ordered the Battery Tender ring terminal harness + female plug adaptor through a Canadian distributor. It just arrived & works great but the ring teminal harness is fused with a 7.5 amp fuse. Should I change it to a 3 amp fuse?

Many thanks - Richard

Here is hope I hardwired my GPS.

I used a fuse block which is installed under the right side panel where the tools are located.

The coiled wire is for the battery tender and the white tube carries extra fuses.

On the handlebars I have an aux power outlet for various accessories (air pump, camera, heated vest, etc).

I had to remove the gas tank to run the wires along side the bikes wire bundle.

Hope this helps.

Mike

The TW200 may be slow but the Earth is patient.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Last Blog Entry: Plans For 2012 (01/16/12)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links