My top speed, 49 tooth rear, DG pipe, Jetted, ETC.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: My top speed, 49 tooth rear, DG pipe, Jetted, ETC.

My top speed, 49 tooth rear, DG pipe, Jetted, ETC.

I just wanted to post what my top speed was with my 2004 TW200.
    My mods are as follows:
    49 Tooth rear sprocket
    DG Muffler
    132 main jet
    2.5 turns out on air
    1 shim on needle
    Air Box "opened" up on top with snorkel removed
    Air Box "screen" removed
    JimBo windshield
    Tusk Hand Guards
    Rider is 150lbs and was hugging the gas tank.

I managed to squeeze 78- 78.5mph (don't think I hit 79) with these mods as listed.

The tach showed 10100 rpms! Yes she was humming at that those rpms!

I'm attaching a pic of my RPM gauge, When I switch the bike off, It displays the may rpms during that ride.

Dell, Zack and R100RT like this.

Is that with a GPS reading ?? I got that speed before with the dreamo meter but it only read 72.4 on the GPS... OMM.

Wow nice! My 1998 isn't nearly that fast and I can't figure out why. My performance related mods are as follows.

115 main jet
    Uni pod filter
    DG muffler
    Kenda K270 front tire at 18 or so psi
    Slightly raised compression
    I weigh 200 lbs, and was tucked against the tank

A couple days ago, at sea level I maxed it out and got to 67 mph. After 60 mph it started getting really wobbly, and by the time I got to 67 I couldn't stop the wobble with all my strength, I had to just keep it at a controllable level until I slowed down past 55. I'm not sure if it was low tire psi or what. I get to ride on pavement maybe once every couple months, so it's not a big deal.

Zack
    Zack

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Slightly raised compression?
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

I'm really curious - are these speeds an anomaly? I have an '87 and it's been abused for decades. From the minute I got it running though, it's been able to hit ~75mph. It takes a little bit and I have to lean forward a hair, but it hits 75. I always hear people saying their bike maxes out in the mid-60s... My 1991 also gets above 70mph, but just barely. Is this a thing because of the old slide carbs? Maybe I just have bad speedometers that overestimate my speed.

To the OP - how loud was your DG exhaust at that speed? That tachymeter looks amazing, that is going on my wishlist for sure!

Lol it was a little experiment to see if I could get more power. I took off the cylinder, and removed the base gasket and used silicone, which lowered it. My compression went from 125 psi, to 160. Definitely pulled better throughout the entire rpm range. It sounded quite a bit louder also from the higher compression. The thing that I didn't realize at the time was that over time, the rings had worn down the cylinder ever so slightly. Now when I move the cylinder down, the piston moves higher in the cylinder, and bumps over the slight edge created by the rings previous position. There is also a carbon deposit that you need to scrape off the walls of the combustion chamber. Ever since I did the mod about 3 months ago, there has been an audible ticking noise from the top ring as it bumps over the edge. Compression has also fallen from 160 to about 135 now. I think it's wearing that ring out. Another problem is that I can not get the silicone to seal in the base gasket. I tried 3 different kinds, then decided "forget it, I'm gonna try epoxy". Well, guess what, it still doesn't seal. I think I'm going to just order a new base gasket and rings, and forget about the extra power. It comes at a high price. I always like functionality over performance, and this isn't turning out to be very functional.

Zack
    Zack

Quote Originally Posted by craig0ry View Post
    I'm really curious - are these speeds an anomaly? I have an '87 and it's been abused for decades. From the minute I got it running though, it's been able to hit ~75mph. It takes a little bit and I have to lean forward a hair, but it hits 75. I always hear people saying their bike maxes out in the mid-60s... My 1991 also gets above 70mph, but just barely. Is this a thing because of the old slide carbs? Maybe I just have bad speedometers that overestimate my speed.

To the OP - how loud was your DG exhaust at that speed? That tachymeter looks amazing, that is going on my wishlist for sure!
    The 87's were faster and more powerful than any other models. They had to tone them back in 88 on, cause folks couldn't handle the power and top end. Mine's a 87 too. Wicked fast bike.
    Zack, R100RT, howardgene63 and 2 others like this.
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Lol it was a little experiment to see if I could get more power. I took off the cylinder, and removed the base gasket and used silicone, which lowered it. My compression went from 125 psi, to 160. Definitely pulled better throughout the entire rpm range. It sounded quite a bit louder also from the higher compression. The thing that I didn't realize at the time was that over time, the rings had worn down the cylinder ever so slightly. Now when I move the cylinder down, the piston moves higher in the cylinder, and bumps over the slight edge created by the rings previous position. There is also a carbon deposit that you need to scrape off the walls of the combustion chamber. Ever since I did the mod about 3 months ago, there has been an audible ticking noise from the top ring as it bumps over the edge. Compression has also fallen from 160 to about 135 now. I think it's wearing that ring out. Another problem is that I can not get the silicone to seal in the base gasket. I tried 3 different kinds, then decided "forget it, I'm gonna try epoxy". Well, guess what, it still doesn't seal. I think I'm going to just order a new base gasket and rings, and forget about the extra power. It comes at a high price. I always like functionality over performance, and this isn't turning out to be very functional.

Zack
    I think that was a mistake to do that. The wobble? Tire balance? What were your tire pressures?

I hardly ever check my psi. I fill it by feel and adjust it by feel. That is for off road though. I should have aired them up tighter for high speed.

I don't think it was a mistake. If nothing else, it gave me a lot of knowledge about how my engine works, what to do and what not to do, and many other things. The way I most like to spend my spare time, is wrenching on my bike. Believe me I put some time into taking the engine apart and putting it back together at least 10 times during testing and diagnosing. Piles of fun! I also now know that an actual base gasket is better than silicone, although, maybe next time I'll try cutting a cereal box gasket. Lol

Zack
    littletommy likes this.
    Zack

craig0ry,
    Truthfully at a point the DG exhaust doesn't change in a lot of its tone. It still has its nice little thump to it but I think I was focused
    mostly on the speedo (no gps used) and the sound of the engine itself. It was a nice little sewing maching sitting under me!

Quote Originally Posted by craig0ry View Post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links