EFM Auto-Clutch
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: EFM Auto-Clutch

frozen wasteland of the barren north, Yukon Territory, Canada

EFM Auto-Clutch

Thought I would throw out a teaser... it will probably be a month before I get to this little project, but at least I have all the stuff ready to go. Bought a used 2005 clutch assembly off flee-bay and had it shipped to Garry at EFM. I just received it today from EFM and I think it is going to be a very cool mod to the Tdub. It is a pricy mod... I have $1000 CAD in it so far and will do the install myself. But when Qwerty said he had the price of a GS in his stroker I thought.... what the hell.

This little project is to see if I can get my partner to learn to ride a motorsyckle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by troll; 06-12-2014 at 09:01 AM.

Interesting. I'll be watching the progress.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

This is something I wioulllld like to do. I have an autoclutch on myFatCat and it makes it super easy to film from. Keep us posted. It will make your bike very easy to ride and accessible to a novice rider. I once rode with a one handed fellow who had an autoclutch set up on his bike.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Very cool!
    Keen to see how this turns out!
    Finally picked up a Tdub...

I know a couple of guys that ride YZ450s with Recluse auto clutches and they say it frees up a bunch of your attention while riding difficult terrain. I haven't ridden a centrifugal clutch since my first Honda 50cc step-through over 50 years ago. We will see.

Is your EMF auto-clutch operate the same as a Recluse or is there a difference?
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I think Recluse has changed their design some recently, but I think originally they were very similar. I talked this over with the head mechanic at our Yamaha dealership who runs a Recluse in his YZ450. He thought they looked very similar and operated under the same principles. The engagement plates and balls look to be the same general design.
    admiral and goldenhtr like this.

time just keeps on slippin.... into the future

Finally after having this clutch sitting on the bench for almost a year... it is now in the bike and I have had it up and down the street a couple of times. I need to learn how it works in the real world still but so far so good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    joeband, Cornelis and Ken like this.

Did the side cover have to be modified? Reason I ask is because I have an EFM auto-clutch on my 2002 Kawasaki KX250 and it needed a 3/8" (or there abouts) spacer to give the clutch clearance from the clutch cover. The KX has a separate cover over the clutch compared to the TW which is the whole side cover.

I also put one on a 2001 Kawasaki KX500 which has a side cover like the TW has. I had to slice off the clutch cover portion, weld on some rod stock to the cover, drill, tap and turn it into a cover that could access the clutch without removing the whole thing, plus gave me clearance to mount the EFM in the first place.

When you get to it, the clutch will take some adjustment with the spring washers in order to get it to engage at the preferred RPM.

They are a hoot! I love mine. With no hand clutch, I modified my rear brake to work where the clutch lever used to be. Much like a mountain bike with front/rear brakes on the bars. Great for locking up the rear wheel to oversteer on downhill switchbacks, especially right handed turns where you want to plant a foot but had to work the rear brake instead.

A long time ago, I wrote and illustrated a manual for Garry using my EFM install on a 2000 Kawasaki KDX220. I've got the text, but lost the pictures some time back.

A tip; always use anti-seize on the threads. The bolts are steel, the material screwed into is aluminum. They will seize over time. Happened on the KX500 and had to drill, tap and easy out every single one!

One more thing;
    you can not bump start a bike with the EFM installed, so if you don't have a kick starter, get one quick!

Actually, you can bump start, but you have to install those lock screws.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links