atv tire? or stick with stock brigestones ?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: atv tire? or stick with stock brigestones ?

atv tire? or stick with stock brigestones ?

So it seems like I am doing 50% off road and 50% on road with my tw. I need new tires bad ! Should I stick with the bridgestone rear tire or get a atv tire? benefits of a atv tire? drawback?
    my gearing is 14/47 so I can rip a bit faster on the highway and I am A lightish guy 170 lbs so ya any thoughts.

There was a dude that was from Squamish/ Vancouver maybe that was in ripping in my town (rossland BC) that had a tire from a Polaris ATV that what he said. It was sweet kinda a taller looking tw34. he had a stock swingarm, i just don't what the tire was.

I need a new front tire also thinking of a shinko 244 5.10

any way your all knowing input would be sweet!
    this is was a sample of riding I did yesterday also
    IMG_1951.jpg
    two wheels for life!

Quote Originally Posted by belterskelter View Post
    That looks like ATV tire territory to me .

I am running a 26x8x14 Duro Power Grip on the rear and love it. Drawbacks are that it can be dangerous to get mounted and is probably impossible to remove and remount in the field. I have myself convinced that it has such a stiff sidewall that I should be to limp home even with a complete loss of air - although I have never actually tried to do this.

For that type of terrain I would not feel comfortable with a 47 tooth rear sprocket. I am currently running a dual rear sprocket setup with 47 and 55 tooth sprockets and have a 65 tooth sprocket that I plan to install as soon as I get a longer chain.

100_3382.JPG

I run a Maxxis Ceros, 26x9x14. It's not as aggressive or big as the Bighorn, Terracross, or Power Grip. I look at the Ceros as a compromise between the Bighorn, Terracross, or Power Grip and the stock tire. I like the rounded profile when it is mounted on the TW rim. It's enough bigger and more aggressive than the stock tire that it does make a difference. My experience is mostly in sand. The only thing that concerns me about my Ceros, is the consequences of a flat out on the trail. I carry Slime and an air compressor with me, but there is little chance I could make a trailside repair. It hasn't been a problem in over 6,000 miles of mostly dirt, though. Like Brian, I feel the sidewalls are stiff enough I could limp back to civilization if necessary.

The upside: Better flotation and traction in mud and sand. It's like having a winch on your 4x4, you don't often need it, but when you do you really need it. On my recent attempt to reach the mail drop I rode a few miles through deep sand. I never had a problem with traction, just with steering and trying to stay upright. When I rode the White Rim Trail last year there were a few steep places where the soil was like flour. I was glad to have the old Ceros. ATV tires also look cool, and based on my experience I believe will outlast the stock tire.

The downside: Difficulty and hazards of mounting the tire. No chance of a trailside flat repair. The larger diameter, if you choose to go that way, will make your gearing higher. The larger diameter can also affect the steering geometry. The heavier tire will absorb some of your power. Also, the more popular ATV tires that are being run on the TW are not DOT approved. That may or may not be a concern depending on the laws of your state. There are more DOT approved ATV tires available now than when the ATV tire mod became popular, though.

I think it really depends on the kind of riding you do. Do you often find yourself struggling through mud or deep sand? If so, I think you would be happy with an ATV tire. If most of your riding is on paved or dirt roads you would probably be just as happy with the stock tire.

There's a lot of good reading on the subject. Here's the sticky about ATV tires in the Performance and Customization forum, if you haven't seen it already. More good reading, if you're so inclined.
    Last edited by B-dub; 06-13-2014 at 11:26 PM.
    Fred, Zack, admiral and 5 others like this.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Alot of stock atv tires off of side by sides are softer and rounder and easier to mount, though less aggressive traction wise. Really anything is better than the stock tw tire. It will make a noticeable difference on nearly any terrain. In the next few weeks im going to fab up a 12 inch rear hub rim combo that will alleviate alot of the mounting issues.
    Fred likes this.

Does the bighorn 2.0 fit like the bighorn? I don't find any info on it in the links about the atv tires...
    Zack
    Last edited by Zack; 06-14-2014 at 10:32 AM.
    Zack

+1 on the Ceros!!!

I have a duro mounted up on one of mine and if traction is what you need it will deliver the goods. Is your terrain mostly hard packed and rocky or is there soft dirt and mud mixed in too? The reason i ask is the duro really shines in the mud and slippery goop. I personally prefer the stock tw34 aired down for anything hard packed/rocky. I have a rim for each so its an easy swap when i want to.
    My duro didn't go on too bad. I documented it in this forum, a bead trim and some "intimate" lubricant got it on there pretty drama free

With an ATV tire a 47 tooth is not going to work very well. The tire is taller and heavier so you will need more gear. I run a 55t on my wheel with the duro and gearing wise it feels similar to the stock tire w a 50t.

the Shinko 244 is a good proven choice for the front a lot of us here run that same tire and like it, myself included. I run that on both of my tw's
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

@ Tiny-Wheel: The BW200 has 12" wheels front and rear.
    We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

With the CEROS rear tire mounted, how does that affect road travel with the 55t rear as far as speed?

I figured it out once with the gearing calculator, but it's been awhile now. As I remember the larger tire size combined with a 55t sprocket put me back pretty close to stock gearing, which is a good compromise in my opinion.
    Bagger likes this.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links