Best handle bars
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Best handle bars

Best handle bars

Lots of talk about handle bars , tires etc on this forum and I have taken it all in and modified the bike a bit from all your suggestion to try to avoid the pitfalls you guys have experienced But I would like to know what you think are the best bars I am 6 foot and I am use to standing on the pegs in the rough stuff and letting the bike work under me . When I stand on the TW I feel like I am going over the bars . I am not too hot on risers but if that's the way the tribe votes that is probably the way I will go. Money is not an issue and I can make longer cables and order longer brake lines . I just want a better feel to the bike . going to stay with the 7/8 inch bars too.
    Thanks in advance , your help in this matter is greatly appreciated
    williamemack and imsilva3 like this.
    Look at the bottom of this page under SIMILAR THREADS
    Norm in Arkansas
    2006 TW , Kick Starter , Shinko 241 front 4;00/18 ,Vesrah HD clutch springs. Carb jet Kit, Amsoil 10-40 , ALLSBALLS steering head bearings, Jimbo shield. Zeta drop -down bend handguards
    Ricochet skidplate from IMMIX RACING , BIKEMASTER Supersport mirrors XT350 fuel tank , member big foot pegs

Honda XR 600 , KTM 300 , BMW 1100 gs , 327 Cushman Truckster , KTM 625 SXC . Ural with sidecar

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Hi greenbomb, a lot of riders here are running the Pro Taper high atv bars. Some are running Renthal bars, some are running risers, and some are running both bars and risers. I'm sure that you'll get a lot more feedback from taller riders, but I'm a shorty, and I'm still running Tusk 30mm bar risers with the stock bars. At least that is some place to start your research. Good luck, and happy riding!
    greenbomb likes this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

I use home built risers that raise the bars 1.5" and bring them forward 1.5". Stock cables still work and it's MUCH easier to stand up. Also easier to move forward on the seat for steep hills with the forward offset. More comfortable in the seated position too. If you can do your own machining or now someone who can, this is a great and cheap way to go. The metal was scrap steel laying around at work. The only thing to buy was longer bolts. If you are interested, I can post pictures.
    greenbomb likes this.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Mel
    Now I want to hang around with Greenbomb fella. Money is not an issue. Thems my kind of folks!
    Mel
    scotti158 and greenbomb like this.

I couldn't justify the cost of ProTapers or Renthals, so I bought these steel 7/8" Fly bars at my local Cycle Gear store. $20 and they feel great. Exactly 2" rise over stock bars, but they are about 1" overall narrower than stock.

photo 1.JPG

photo 4.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    littletommy, greenbomb and Fred like this.

Thanks guys
    Mel and Scottie . I want to buy the stuff that's the best , not make it . $$$ always an issue . don't want to waste it but as a senior don't want to die with it either . TOOLBOX , steel bars have always bent on me is the past The Renthals and Pro tapers spring back a bit, worth the $$ by not having to redo. . MEL , I use to be in Fairfield Ca. Al the BIG MONEY is in San Obiste where U R . . Anyway the post is young . lets see what happens . BTW Nice Pics Toolbox and I do like narrow bars , gets though the trees better and more rigid . Don't sell yourself short IRCCPER . Its easier to work under stuff and your always the lead man in a cell extraction . Hard to shoot over a tall fat guy

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    Now I want to hang around with Greenbomb fella. Money is not an issue. Thems my kind of folks!
    Mel
    Look at the bottom of this page under SIMILAR THREADS
    Norm in Arkansas
    2006 TW , Kick Starter , Shinko 241 front 4;00/18 ,Vesrah HD clutch springs. Carb jet Kit, Amsoil 10-40 , ALLSBALLS steering head bearings, Jimbo shield. Zeta drop -down bend handguards
    Ricochet skidplate from IMMIX RACING , BIKEMASTER Supersport mirrors XT350 fuel tank , member big foot pegs

Honda XR 600 , KTM 300 , BMW 1100 gs , 327 Cushman Truckster , KTM 625 SXC . Ural with sidecar

I'm still running stock, but I am also going to be keeping an eye on here!

@Toolbox - cool headlight guard, is that home-made too? (Sorry for the hijack)
    Finally picked up a Tdub...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Paynter View Post
    I'm still running stock, but I am also going to be keeping an eye on here!

@Toolbox - cool headlight guard, is that home-made too? (Sorry for the hijack)

PM'ed you.

I was just investigating this yesterday. My 91 TW has Pro Taper, ATV- HI, SE bars and I love them. I am an inch short of 6 feet and the bars change the entire feel in a lot of good ways. There is no part number for the Pro Taper bars that I could find so I called my favorite supplier, Lytleracinggroup.com , 877-431-8100 and Patrick was able to provide the right part number and offered a good price of $55. Take care of those who will take the time to take care of us!

You will not need risers with the ATV hi bars and the stock cables work fine with a slight re routing of them. It is about as far as you can go with stock cables.

If you try to look up Prp Taper they have all sorts of confusing rise, rake and back set numbers. MX guys who know what they want can figure this out but what works for our TWs is Pro Taper- ATV-HI, SE and the part number at the above supplier is 025257. These bars also give you more room for mounting stuff like bark busters, GPS and phones and are all marked incrementally if you want to cut them down to go through tight trails.

GaryL
    Dryden-Tdub, greenbomb and Fred like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

This is a post I made on another thread about bars that might be helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tirebiter View Post
    I have ATV High bend bars on my '95 and ATV Raptor bend bars on my '08....neither have risors. I'm 6' and like the Raptor bend much better for the times I stand.

For reference, all ATV bends (might have to click on it to see better):
    bars2.jpg
    Last edited by Tirebiter; 06-18-2014 at 04:13 PM.
    greenbomb and urbanpail like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links