Stripped mirror
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Stripped mirror

Stripped mirror

I've got a mirror and the threads are stripped. Any ideas on how to mount it back on?

Are the threads stripped on the mirror? Or are the threads stripped for the mount?

You can get a replacement mirror or mount relatively inexpensive ,bugger fixing them can get real aggravating when you mirrors are moving and buzzing on you out on the road

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have a drill bit, tap and a thread repair I can send you if you pm me your address. It is standard RH thread, (not the LH thead that one side uses) it will work on either side if you decide to use aftermarket mirrors with standard right hand thread. Let me know if you want to give it a try.

What a fiasco these mirrors are! The left, clutch side is standard right hand threads and I think metric 10 mm. The right / front brake side is reverse Left Hand threads and near impossible to find a tap to clean them up with. If you buy after market nicer mirrors chances are they will both be standard RH threads. Some after market mirrors come with an adapter to add that changes RH to LH threads but they are the weakest link and break real easy.

While parked in the woods my kick stand sunk in soft ground and the bike went down on the left, shifter side. No damage at all because the hand guard/bark busters did their job. The right side mirror never hit anything but the BS aluminum LH to RH adapter broke right off leaving the mirror on the ground. I sure wish I could find an after market lever perch that had standard RH threads for the mirror and would also have the socket for the brake light switch.

My idea, drill the mirror hole oversize and glue in and pin a standard 10 mm RH threaded nut that will accept after market mirrors. Helicoil thread repair does make LH thread repair insert but by the time you buy what you need it is much cheaper to just buy a new perch. JB weld is excellent glue for aluminum repairs.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

GaryL, you are also welcome to use my drill, tap and heli-coil if you want to convert it to RH threads. I will ship it to whomever asks for it first. I only ask that afterwards it gets sent to anyone else that may need it and then back to me. I am happy with the repair on mine. I used aftermarket foldable mirrors so that there is some level "give" if they take a hit.

Thanks Leben, Very generous offer in the true spirit of the TW forum.

PM sent and I will send it directly back or to the next requester.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

My 2012 Vstrom mirrors were a direct fit and a big improvement.
    2011 TW200: Protaper Fat Bars, IMS Pegs, Cyclerack, Moose Racing Tail Bag, Cyrca Handguards, VStrom Mirrors, Jimbo Shield, Oxford Heated Grips, ProCycle 15k spring, 2x2cycles rack, seat concepts, Cyclops Adventure Sports LED conversion

2014 BMW F800GS

2007 BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    While parked in the woods my kick stand sunk in soft ground and the bike went down on the left, shifter side.
    GaryL
    https://tw200forum.com/forum/performa...insurance.html

i really like it on mine
    B-dub likes this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Padilen View Post
    Are the threads stripped on the mirror? Or are the threads stripped for the mount?
    For sure the mount, probably both. It's kept at my cabin so I will double check next time I'm up there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links