Action Packer Deluxe
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Action Packer Deluxe

Action Packer Deluxe

The first accessory I bought, before even my beloved TW was the Action Packer Tote. I decided that if I didn't purchase the bike I would use it as an organizational tool, but I knew the second I bought the tote that my bike would soon follow. Im going to explain the customizations I did to my action packer as I've received a ton of interest in my design. I started with the 8 gal action packer tote. Purchased some 1/4 in bungee cord from the local sporting goods store, 6 rubber lined hose clamps, 8 rubber washers, 8 stainless washers, and 6 3/4 inch sheet metal screws (strong enough for bungee clamps.) I attached the bungee material in a cross pattern along the lid of the AP. I found this gave the tote a more finished look, and has been great for carrying tents, or items too large to fit inside the tote, and is tight enough to hold it very securely (thickness of bungee is very important.) My original plan was to purchase the famous storage tube, and use that for an MSR 30 oz fuel container, but decided to try a different approach, and purchased an aluminum bike bottle holder to test. The MSR bottle fit perfectly, and I put a small bungee safety line for extra support. I mounted the MSR bottle and pole clamps to the lid of the AP with 1.25 inch 10mm bolts/nuts with a rubber and steel washer on top and bottom (goes through lid.) I mounted these accessories this way for extra support, as opposed to using sheet metal screws. The pole clamps are standard steel plated broom handle holders that work well for my fishing pole, metal detector, or any yard tools. When mounting a tool with the clamps I place electrical tape on the tool at the points that the clamp meets the tool to protect, secure, and decrease vibration noise. My final customizations included lining the packer with felt, and buying two large coder pins to secure the two clamps on the lid. For the liner I purchased extreme Velcro, mounted the "hook" side on the floor of the AP, and purchased two felt pieces (blue of course) that attach to the Velcro strips without the "loop" tape being attached. The Coder pins are a necessity, and I use them to wrap my MSR safety line, and excess bungee around to prevent them from flapping in the wind. When all was said and done, I have a waterproof, durable, affordable, useful, trunk for my motorcycle that gives me a ton of storage flexibility! I love my action packer and hope that if you're interested in mounting one to your TW that you find this helpful!
    The Action Packer is mounted to the rear rack with u bolts, coupling nuts (allow to tighten more, and access more easily,) rubber and steel washers on the ends, and 2 rubber and 2 steel washers on the inside of the AP,this is to reinforce and disperse the pressure of the radius through the plastic. #action packer #actionpacker #tw200 #yamaha #adv rider #dual sport
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Last edited by JaeStinson; 06-30-2014 at 08:38 PM.
    georayb, B-dub and M4 EnthUZIast like this.

I did reply were did it go?
    Anyway, thanks for the write up and pics.
    JaeStinson likes this.

Action packer was my first thought but I found this Plano alternative...IMG_2716.JPGIMG_2717.JPG
    JaeStinson and Hambone like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Nicely done Jae!
    JaeStinson likes this.

Jhannesson the Plano looks great, is it a sail? Thank you TW Brian I really appreciate it!

this is what I use.......lots of pocket.Resize_0619141759-01_01.jpg
    JaeStinson likes this.

Nicely done! My Action Packer is jealous. :P
    JaeStinson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JaeStinson View Post
    Jhannesson the Plano looks great, is it a sail? Thank you TW Brian I really appreciate it!
    Well you may have to put that in perspective. I am 6'-2" and 275#, big-boned as they say, so it doesn't catch the wind for me (besides, I can only get my tw to run 64mph with stock gearing). I have tested it on and off road and love it. It is big enough for me to throw my helmet and tank bag in there when I run into a store. Some of the room is taken up with my staple items that never leave the tote. I am going to buy another one for $15 in case something ever goes wrong with this one. It's just that perfect.
    JaeStinson likes this.

Jhanneson that makes perfect sense being that you're a bigger guy and block the wind from the Plano box. I don't notice my action packer catching wind unless it's a strong side wind (mine is mounted long way.) I'm surprised in the difference in top speed between our bikes, mind you I'm 150 lbs 5 ft 8 in. I rarely cruise over 55, but can easily maintain 72 if need be, with 75ish being the "screaming to the max for my comfort limit" top speed. Mine is completely stock engine/jetting/gearing.
    ner'T' likes this.

Sprague River, Oregon in Summer, Salome, AZ in Winter
    Here is another alternative. The famous tube with a WalMart $15.00 tool box held down with original 3 bolts & fender washers on the bike rack. Over 6,000 miles so far without a problem. . . . Well the flat rear tire was a problem! John
    JaeStinson likes this.
    Lead or Git out of the Way!

Present bikes: 2005 TW200, 2000 H-D Road King Classic, 1998 Goldwing Trike, 2009 Vstrom 650, 2011 BMW R1200RT, 2-CT-90's, 2- 100 XT's, 2008 Lin Hai 250cc Scooter, 50cc fold-up scooter.
    I.B.A. #49,689. Commercial SMEL,Instruments, Rotorcraft-Helicopter
    RAF 2000 GTX SE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links