New to the TW - I have some questions
Close

Cool New to the TW - I have some questions

Hello everyone,

I've purchased a '94 TW200 and am waiting to receive it from the transport company in the next few weeks. They aren't anywhere near as easy to find here in Australia so I think I found a bargain for $800.

I am planning to modify in the 'tracker'(?) style which I became familiar with after living in southern Japan in 2006. I'm talking no plastics, extended swingarm, minimal bulk under the seat and a fat exhaust as this'll be used as a city bike more than anything. Now I haven't ridden in a few years and the last bike I restored was in 2006 in Japan (Yamaha MR50), so I need a few pointers for things that I want to do, so please excuse my inexperience.

• Extended swingarm:
      I'm probably going to go off the shelf unit from Japan. In doing so, do I need to lengthen the chain or anything else? What other items are needed to support this mod?

• Relocation of brake lights/indicators:
      I Plan to remove the rear mudguard completely. How do I mount/relocate the brake light to sit under the back of the seat cushion? Would I be better buying a kit that has everything included? If you know of any comprehensive links, please do let me know (I'm hopeless with the search function and a lot of older build threads seem to be missing lots of the accompanying images)

• Exhaust:
      I've taken a liking to the Supertrapp Exhaust. What is it about this particular design that makes it so popular, and how is the sound attained? Will this give me popping on deceleration (also, what causes that?)

• Carb:
      I'll definitely have to rebuild the carburettor; is everything included in the kits?
      I'm assuming I'll have the 132 Jet. Does that also need to be replaced or is it just the rubber components in the carb that rot from exposure to petrol over long periods?

Thank you all for your patience and answers in advance!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Raucous View Post
    Hello everyone,

I've purchased a '94 TW200 and am waiting to receive it from the transport company in the next few weeks. They aren't anywhere near as easy to find here in Australia so I think I found a bargain for $800.

I am planning to modify in the 'tracker'(?) style which I became familiar with after living in southern Japan in 2006. I'm talking no plastics, extended swingarm, minimal bulk under the seat and a fat exhaust as this'll be used as a city bike more than anything. Now I haven't ridden in a few years and the last bike I restored was in 2006 in Japan (Yamaha MR50), so I need a few pointers for things that I want to do, so please excuse my inexperience.

• Extended swingarm:
      I'm probably going to go off the shelf unit from Japan. In doing so, do I need to lengthen the chain or anything else? What other items are needed to support this mod?

I Plan to remove the rear mudguard completely. How do I mount/relocate the brake light to sit under the back of the seat cushion? Would I be better buying a kit that has everything included? If you know of any comprehensive links, please do let me know (I'm hopeless with the search function and a lot of older build threads seem to be missing lots of the accompanying images)

• Exhaust:
      I've taken a liking to the Supertrapp Exhaust. What is it about this particular design that makes it so popular, and how is the sound attained? Will this give me popping on deceleration (also, what causes that?)

• Carb:
      I'll definitely have to rebuild the carburettor; is everything included in the kits?
      I'm assuming I'll have the 132 Jet. Does that also need to be replaced or is it just the rubber components in the carb that rot from exposure to petrol over long periods?

Cheers!

First and foremost welcome to the addiction! Now after reading your post I know you are still waiting on your bike so I would recommend doing several searches on this forum while you wait. Almost all of the questions you have are general and have been covered several times over in past threads use your time wisely. Once you have read some of the older threads it will narrow your questions and you will get much better responses from the members here. Do your homework and people will go out of their way on here to help fill in the blanks. Enjoy your research there i soooooo much on here to take advantage of.

Tom

rbm
    Hello and welcome! Feel free to share your build with us here, we love projects!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Raucous View Post
    Hello everyone,

• Extended swingarm:

• Exhaust:

• Carb:

Cheers!
    Hey Raucous,

Welcome! I am taking the (very) slow route to the same destination, the 'tracker' style you speak of are often called hollow-mods on here (and elsewhere) due to the hollowed out look under the seat.
    I have been enjoying the stock Tdub so much Ive been putting finances in to another resto-project but I will get there eventually.

Extended Swingarm:
    YAMAHA TW200 Swingarm There are some choices found here.
    I know a guy who did, but I have no personal experience with the site. They would be my one-stop shop for all the bits you need if you're somewhere with less locally sourced custom options such as myself (South Africa) or anything you can't find wherever you are.
    You will need an extended rear brake rod and chain, but some kits come complete with these items.

Relocation of brake lights/indicators:
    Also available in kit form on the above site with a little navigation, but these are also found over at the procycle page which is popular and are easy enough to mount (plenty of threads on here I would guess)

Exhaust:
    The Supertrapps are popular and I believe some models have a series of plates you can add or remove to 'tune' the sound, but I have no experience with thema and I have no idea if they create that popping sound on deceleration.

Carb:
    I know almost nothing about the black magic of carbs, good luck.
    Finally picked up a Tdub...

Hi Fellas,

Thank you all for your assistance. I'll be getting the bike soon and will document all of my progress.

Special thanks to Mr. Paynter for his details reply. I've started sifting through some of the older threads to find more information.

Thanks again,

Raucous

Quote Originally Posted by AGman View Post
    I wonder if there is anyone in Australia riding a stock, unmodified TW200?
    I doubt it! Also, I've see you're into the AGs? Do you guys still get them new out there? I thought it was just us here in South Africa.

Wow. I've never ridden them, they seem to eb pretty hardy though, and I never see them come up for sale second hand so I guess the guys buying them love them.
    Cool blog/website.

Yeah I think Yamaha used to market the TW to farmers and the majority of ones that come up for sale don't seem to be registered and were farm hacks for most of their lives. I think Yamaha pushed a bit harder to sell the AG in place of the TW as a farm bike. Yamaha in Taree told me the demand Tor TWs became so little that they stopped bringing them altogether sadly

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Sponosred Links